Choosing a Golf Ball

Softer, less spinny balls are better for colder weather in my experience. That said, I don’t usually switch to anything different when it’s cold.

1 Like

I completely agree with you on the Snell balls. I like both, but have tended towards the X as it’s a bit longer off the driver and a bit better around the green for me. The Black is much nicer feeling to me though and is still a great performer. I still think the ProV1 and ProV1x are probably my faves, but I only bought some this year because I had a DSG gift card and points. I did play the Bridgestone Tour B X this year and liked that a lot. It doesn’t feel as good as the MTB Black, but maybe less firm than the X. Overall it performed really well for me. The TM TP5X was good too, but I didn’t like it as much around the green. I liked the Chrome Soft X as well overall, but stayed away after hearing about the quality issues.

I will generally take greenside performance over distance, but I don’t want to lose too much distance since I’m not a big hitter. I don’t want to have to throttle back too much on my chips and pitches. I ruled out the TP5 and Kirkland 3-pc ball as they seemed noticeably shorter hitting for me even though they were excellent otherwise.

2 Likes

This is where I’m struggling. I’ll have to keep trying both and see where I land. Last time I compared them I decided the MTB-X was too firm for me. But after playing a few rounds this fall I really do like the green side performance better than the MTB-BLACK. But I like the BLACK better on full shots.

1 Like

So today, in high wind, I switched back and forth between the MTB-BLACK and MTB-X. I truly feel like the X performed better in the wind. So I think that will be my ball going forward.

2 Likes

I like the Snell ball a whole lot. Price is good, I like the story… I’m curious to see if Costco releases a better ball next season, though!

2 Likes

I’ve been gaming the Taylormade (a) lately and liking it. I do want to try something with some more greenside spin but I’m not accurate enough off the tee yet to justify buying expensive balls. When I lose one it hurts my soul.

2 Likes

Have they talked about changing the Kirkland ball?

Yeah, they are supposedly releasing a four piece next season.

Should be interesting to see.

1 Like

I bet they sell out in hours. Many will buy them to resell.

1 Like

I play the Wilson Duo Soft because that is the ball I had my first birdie with :laughing: (so far so good, i’ve had 6 more since then. But seriously, I don’t feel i’m at the point to where I can tell the difference in golf balls yet. I still go on eBay and buy used golf balls.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with that! Plenty of decent cheap balls on the market, especially if you aren’t worried about green side spin.

1 Like

Anyone testing new balls this year? Looking at trying anything new?

I’m still convinced I need to find one ball and stick with it, which means I need a decently priced ball that performs, so it will likely be the MTB-X or Kirkland 4 piece (if it performs)… The big manufacturers are making some noise this year, a “revolutionary” ProV-1, TaylorMade seems excited about their ball and I thought the best ball for me was the Bridgestone RX last year…

I might try to pick up the 2022 Bridgestone RX for cheap if possible… I’m always trying to get driver spin down, so low spin balls are always a priority.

I started gaming the MTB-X last fall after years of gaming the MTB and MTB-Black. The biggest difference I noticed is that the X seems to handle the wind better than the black. Both are great balls though…I actually used to Black again when it got colder because I felt like I could compress it better. That’s probably just my imagination though.

2 Likes

I played the Black 2 seasons ago, and randomly switched to the X, for no real reason… Both are great balls. Still have a few sleeves left as my season was cut down in it’s prime…

I’m still really tempted by the Bridgestone, as I freaking CRUSHED those things… just $15 a dozen more, which isn’t a huge deal, but it’s not nothing.

1 Like

I was hoping to see a really good sale and buy a bunch of one model ball, but I haven’t seen the great sales like in past years. I guess Covid has made golf so popular that no one needs to heavily discount last year’s golf balls.

I still have maybe 2 sleeves each of MTB-X, TP5 X, ProV1X and ZStar XV left so I’m good for a bit, but I think my favorite ball last year was the Tour B X. I still have a lot of pro shop credit left, but if I use that I will have to go for Titleist or TM as that’s all they carry.

2 Likes

B X was the ball I liked… haven’t seen many sales either… hopefully can pick some up when the new balls start rolling out.

2 Likes

I’m moving completely over to snell mtb-x – I love them

3 Likes

Hard to compete with them while comparing prices… I hit the Bridgestone farther, though and liked it equally everywhere else… is that worth an extra $1 a round, assuming I start most 18 with a new ball?

2 Likes

As much as I know I should just play one ball, I just can’t bring myself to do it these days for a few reasons:

1. I’m playing at least 9 holes almost daily
  2. I can’t help myself from picking up lost balls out on the course
  3. It’s winter (SoCal winter, but still winter) and I’m not really thinking about scoring

Honestly, I find enough Pro V1’s around the course that I could possibly just play those and not run out, but then I’d need to be more organized with my lost ball collection.

I think you can split the baby and maybe have an easy win… Take a look at the ProV1s you find, and any that are in great shape (and not under water) and toss them in a separate part of your bag… break them out anytime you are playing 18 holes (or just any competitive round you play). See if you notice any huge differences.

I think moving between surlyn and urethane can cause major issues, but I don’t think playing the different “pro” model golf balls is going to make a huge difference. Especially if the choice is between free and buying balls.