Choosing a Golf Ball

I’ve been gaming the Taylormade (a) lately and liking it. I do want to try something with some more greenside spin but I’m not accurate enough off the tee yet to justify buying expensive balls. When I lose one it hurts my soul.

2 Likes

Have they talked about changing the Kirkland ball?

Yeah, they are supposedly releasing a four piece next season.

Should be interesting to see.

1 Like

I bet they sell out in hours. Many will buy them to resell.

1 Like

I play the Wilson Duo Soft because that is the ball I had my first birdie with :laughing: (so far so good, i’ve had 6 more since then. But seriously, I don’t feel i’m at the point to where I can tell the difference in golf balls yet. I still go on eBay and buy used golf balls.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with that! Plenty of decent cheap balls on the market, especially if you aren’t worried about green side spin.

1 Like

Anyone testing new balls this year? Looking at trying anything new?

I’m still convinced I need to find one ball and stick with it, which means I need a decently priced ball that performs, so it will likely be the MTB-X or Kirkland 4 piece (if it performs)… The big manufacturers are making some noise this year, a “revolutionary” ProV-1, TaylorMade seems excited about their ball and I thought the best ball for me was the Bridgestone RX last year…

I might try to pick up the 2022 Bridgestone RX for cheap if possible… I’m always trying to get driver spin down, so low spin balls are always a priority.

I started gaming the MTB-X last fall after years of gaming the MTB and MTB-Black. The biggest difference I noticed is that the X seems to handle the wind better than the black. Both are great balls though…I actually used to Black again when it got colder because I felt like I could compress it better. That’s probably just my imagination though.

2 Likes

I played the Black 2 seasons ago, and randomly switched to the X, for no real reason… Both are great balls. Still have a few sleeves left as my season was cut down in it’s prime…

I’m still really tempted by the Bridgestone, as I freaking CRUSHED those things… just $15 a dozen more, which isn’t a huge deal, but it’s not nothing.

1 Like

I was hoping to see a really good sale and buy a bunch of one model ball, but I haven’t seen the great sales like in past years. I guess Covid has made golf so popular that no one needs to heavily discount last year’s golf balls.

I still have maybe 2 sleeves each of MTB-X, TP5 X, ProV1X and ZStar XV left so I’m good for a bit, but I think my favorite ball last year was the Tour B X. I still have a lot of pro shop credit left, but if I use that I will have to go for Titleist or TM as that’s all they carry.

2 Likes

B X was the ball I liked… haven’t seen many sales either… hopefully can pick some up when the new balls start rolling out.

2 Likes

I’m moving completely over to snell mtb-x – I love them

3 Likes

Hard to compete with them while comparing prices… I hit the Bridgestone farther, though and liked it equally everywhere else… is that worth an extra $1 a round, assuming I start most 18 with a new ball?

2 Likes

As much as I know I should just play one ball, I just can’t bring myself to do it these days for a few reasons:

1. I’m playing at least 9 holes almost daily
  2. I can’t help myself from picking up lost balls out on the course
  3. It’s winter (SoCal winter, but still winter) and I’m not really thinking about scoring

Honestly, I find enough Pro V1’s around the course that I could possibly just play those and not run out, but then I’d need to be more organized with my lost ball collection.

I think you can split the baby and maybe have an easy win… Take a look at the ProV1s you find, and any that are in great shape (and not under water) and toss them in a separate part of your bag… break them out anytime you are playing 18 holes (or just any competitive round you play). See if you notice any huge differences.

I think moving between surlyn and urethane can cause major issues, but I don’t think playing the different “pro” model golf balls is going to make a huge difference. Especially if the choice is between free and buying balls.

I’ve decided to move from Srixon “soft feel” to Snell “get sum” this year…couldn’t resist the price. Haven’t hit any of the Snell’s yet, but the order of 5 boxes is here. If I don’t love them, I’ll likely go with a more premium Snell ball trial.
Also going to Yellow from White…getting too old to see the white ones anymore…46 is rough.

3 Likes

I play Callaway Chrome Soft exclusively, practice and play. Buy them by the box from eBay as lake balls. They don’t last long but I put so many OB and in the water it’s the only option for me.

I like the soft feel off the face. They fly well and I can get good spin from irons and especially my SM7 wedges.

2 Likes

Wanted to “revive” this thread…or at least update. I started the year with Snell “get sum” (2 piece) and really loved the distance, but just couldn’t hold greens with my irons…and found myself almost a full club more…like everything was a flyer.
I recently moved to Snell “mtb black” and like them, but don’t know if they are any better than the Srixon soft feels I was playing last year for holding greens. They definitely beat the “get sum”, but for $10 less per dozen, I may just go back to the Srixon Soft Feels.
Even though the Srixon is a 2 piece…seems to spin just as well for me as the MTB black.

Any one else compared the 2 (ie…Srixon vs Snell)?

1 Like

I’d be interested in this same comparison (though I’ve heard so many positive reviews of Snell I’m likely to do one myself!).

I’ve played Srixon Z-stars for a number of years. They don’t hold greens quite as well for me as Pro Vs - I’m sure some of that is the gunner, not the ammo! - but the price is much more palatable. However, given what I’ve heard and learned about Snells I’m going to have to try them.

2 Likes

I watched a YouTube of Rick Schiels comparing Srixon to his beloved ProV1’s and they basically came up the same for him on performance of driver, 7 iron, wedge, green side…and he actually seemed to prefer the Srixon Z putting because it “felt softer”.

2 Likes