Chipping Away at Getting Better

JayJay, I really didn’t not come to my decision on a 56 and 54 from a distance stand point. I use my 56 from 49 yards in and my 54 from 50yds out to 85yds. The main reason I use my Ping 56 is from 20 yards in. Where I play mostly this just works well for me. After my 54 I have a Gap wedge, Approach Wedge and then my PW.

3 Likes

Question Todd…Are you completely self taught? How much time have you put in 4 years to get to 6? I went from hack to an 8 in about a year with lessons and I worked at a range so I had the good fortune of hitting about 500 balls a day 6 days a week for 5 years starting at age 22. It took me 5 years (and I’m still working on it after 40 years) to develop any semblance of a short game that could get me to chip off strokes getting me to where I was 28-35 y/o carrying a legit 2. It took me about 8 months taking the range work to the course and learning to score and think, but I had real good fortune of my teachers that played on the Tour that taught me how to manage what I had learned on the range. AND you are absolutely correct wedge work is really important to scoring and putting is 1/2 the game! That’s quite incredible to accomplish that inside of 4 years…congratulations!

1 Like

Gap and Approach wedges. I’d thought those were synonymous, but whatever works. I feel you on the close wedges doing different stuff. My 56 is about a 14 bounce (at least that’s the spec…I really need to get lofts, lies, and swing weights checked one of these days…) I like it in fluffy sand, soft lies, that sort of thing. My 52 has much less bounce, and despite the distances hit being closer than I’d like to the 56, they do different stuff.

And the 60’s lie angle is different enough, it’s really only good for Pelz-ian ‘finesse wedge’ shots.

So I agree, it’s not all about distance gapping.

1 Like

Thanks. The first eight lines of your reply pretty much described my game this past summer. Hope springs eternal!

2 Likes

Good tip jay jay, thanks.

1 Like

I’m being very honest I am not looking for 130 swing speed, I think we’d all break our backs. But unless you are physically challenged, 100mph is not out of the question on a consistent basis for me especially since my baseline is currently 94-95. That’s LPGA avg. if you are 85-87…. I will bet you a round of golf with a bit of serious work, 93-95 is no way out of the question. And if you can get a Smash around 1.44-1.47 you’re looking at 240-250 realistically! Good luck in your quest.

1 Like

Piling onto this post, @Adamyounggolf has a ton of posts at his blog about optimizing angle of attack in the driver swing to drastically increase carry yardage. You don’t need insane clubhead speed to hit it far (though it helps). You need positive angle of attack, the right amount of spin, and solid contact.

From what I remember of Adam’s blog post, where he shared his lessons from a Trackman session, he was ‘only’ getting about 102-104 mph clubhead speed. But he coupled it with optimum smash (1.52+: it’s an artifact of how many systems measure clubhead speed), and like 9 degrees positive AoA, with appropriate spin. That equaled 280 or so carry.

It doesn’t take Jacobe what’s-his-name’s redonkulous speed to hit it farther. Just hit it more efficiently. For golfers with 80-90 mph chs, the required optimal launch angles are so high, I totally buy people saying they crush their 3W further.

Personally, I’m in my late 40s, and committing to meaningful, quantitative mindful practice has improved driver ball speed from 140-145 or so when I first got the monitor, to 150-155 ball speed, and occasional forays into 160+ land. Your body is pretty smart. Tell it to optimize some value, experiment with different movements, pay attention to what your senses are telling you, trying to duplicate good sensations, and your body will learn to move in a more coordinated, stronger manner. Which can translate into faster golf balls that go further.

3 Likes

Jay, My 56 is a 14 bounce as well and works well in most situations for me. I just read an article where Rory McElroy has went to more bounce on his wedges. Once I get above my 54 wedge I have about a 10 yards increment in distance with all my other clubs. I tried a 58 and 60 and they just didn’t work as well for me.

2 Likes

MJ, not totally self taught but close. About 6 months after I started I went buy a package of lessons. After two lessons I abandoned that ship because the instructor was trying to get me to swing in a way that hurt my back.

I have put in a substantial amount of time into my game. I did not go to a course for the first 2-3 months, just the range, and I personally think that is a good way for someone to start. Did not have to deal with being in trees and bunkers, etc. Just groove the swing. I also have had the good fortune of playing a lot. I have probably played more in 4 years than some people do in 10 years. I have a course about 7 miles away and they have dogfight tournaments every single day which I started participating in about 2 years ago. The pressure of competition has helped a lot. I don’t choke as much as I used to. :joy: Its been neat to go from the 4th man on the team to captain now.

I have shot scope and my short game has always been the best part of my game which I came to understand was really fortunate. I have tried to use a variety of clubs for my short chips around the green but have just come to the conclusion that I am better with my 56 so I don’t deviate much from that. Our greens are small so being able to get up and down regularly is a huge benefit to scoring and my percentages are pretty good.

Speaking of Shot Scope, their conclusions from the data base of shots has been really helpful. I quickly found out about the “myths” of golf. (3 wood is more accurate than driver… only by 1%) so I didn’t waste time doing things people would say that had no basis in reality. I also saw their results in real time. For instance, they say that around 80% percent of putts are short of the hole with 8 and above handicappers. I have literally watched that happen round after round with players on my team during the tournaments. My stats in my last 15 rounds is 79% long which means at least I am reaching the hole.

I am enjoying the things you and others are writing about swing speed and efficiency in striking the ball. I have dropped from an 8 to a 6 mostly on the fact that I have added about 20 yards distance to my drives.

I hope one day I can get to a 2 handicap!! That’s seriously strong golf! I have yet to break even par on our course. Shot one over the other day with two double bogeys and 5 birdies so I know its possible.

How can one game be so frustrating and yet so fulfilling at the same time, in the same round and from one hole to the next? Only golf!

4 Likes

Link to the Adam Young blog post I mentioned: https://www.adamyounggolf.com/how-to-gain-60-yards-with-one-swing-change/

Memory’s better than I thought. Average stats for his maximized AoA session: 102.5 chs, 155.3 ball speed, 1.52 smash, +8.1 AoA, 272.4 carry, 295.5 total. Not too shabby.

3 Likes

IIRC, last Spring my driver speed was mid-80s. My goal is to get into the low 90s, so your expectations are spot on. Thanks for your advice and wishes.

3 Likes

Todd, I’m no where a 2 at the moment. That’s where I was until age 35. I’m currently a 9. But I have worked extremely hard to rebuild a mechanically sound swing. I see you said you picked up 20 yards yourself. That’s not exactly ez as you hit 60. Even 10 yds doesn’t happen. My posts above basically chronicles at age 63, with photos of my 8 month obsession devoting 2-3 hours a day just on that and it took me 5 months before I even took it to the course. What is your secret? I never competed except for a few club tournaments here or there. I have wagered a few shekels in my life. At one point, I made more money on the course than I would bring home in a week, to go along with caddying and cooking in restaurants. So wagering with my “rent$$” certainly forced my game. Anyway, interested to hear what you had to do to pick up significant yardage like that.

1 Like

No doubt, a review of mechanics, and get that settled to where you’re comfy and then about a month of speed training, you’ll be there. I promise. Just don’t hurt yourself, stretch out for about 20 minutes before any speed training. I know that’s Capt Obvious but when we get older, the muscles structure does contract. Yeah I know, a No S Sherlock moment for me there. I’m telling you getting a bit more sound with your lower body and having the ability to improve that by 50%. You’ll be happy with the results! Good Luck!

2 Likes

J that’s awesome. I really appreciate that link. One of the biggest focuses on my Driver swing mechanics has been staying behind my target. I know I moved my AOA a lot. When I started my quest it was negative 2 or 3, to zero. I moved it up to like +2 or 3 according to simulator at the range. I’m going to try and increase that a titch more now like to +3 or 4 and see what happens. I think my actual AOA right now as of September was like 0, 1 or 2 from where I was negative before. Maybe try and flatten out a bit more. Ya get afraid of the pop up. Know what I mean. Thank you thank you. I will let you know in a couple weeks of my results. I am going for a session this weekend hopefully.Helpful explanation of AoA

1 Like

I’m glad you liked the article.

One caveat: I don’t remember whether it’s in that post, a related post, or The Practice Manual, but I do remember reading that he achieves that high AoA by really going forward with his impact. So much so, that it’s well past square, and in outside to in when viewed from behind. His clubface is square to the path, so the net is a pull, about (IIRC) 15-20 degrees left of a square target line. But a very high launch, low spin, efficient pull.

2 Likes

MJ, 3 things contributed. my new driver helped. I got a C721 driver from Tour Edge and that was combined with a better attack angle which made my ball carry further which produced a lot less spin. I have come to appreciate the low spin dynamic. Makes all the difference in the world.

2 Likes

LOL …interesting …those are the Langer Clubs. Lower spin off the club face helps for sure. At least you didn’t say SQAIRZ shoes…LOL. 2 years ago I purchased a TM SLDR 430, 9* Stiff. Was a great deal. Really produced amazing low spin rate, average around 1850-2100. I just couldn’t control it. I ended up buying a never used Adams 9088ul. That club is really amazing. Adams was way ahead of everyone with real Dr technology. I spent $50 ea for both clubs. I just purchased a lightly used 9064ls by 'Barney but it’s 8.5*. That’s what I’m going to see if I can increase my AoA and keep my LA down. That was an investment of $39 99. I love eBay! I’ve actually tried a few new TM Clubs and the Ping 425, before I changed my mechanics back, I was hoping new clubs was my answer when I turned 62, they did nothing! It ended up for me being me…hah. I fixed the old me and voila, with the new balls I could really see the difference. I think I saw in another post you use a Snell MB. for a while I was using Supersofts, I was always a ProV1 user…but at 83-85 they didn’t work. Now that my new baseline is 94-95 I can hit those again. For us old guys these new balls really help a ton. Way better than Those Balata100s from Titleist.

2 Likes

How did you increase your swing speed? I’m 69 and play 1x week, practice every day.

1 Like

John I posted above my general journey.

1. Recorded my swing and analyzed the swing flaws that started with poor grip, ball alignment, takeaway, shallowing, right elbow to hip connection, downswing, release and follow thru. I also had a major advantage in that I used to teach and I know in general what I wasn’t doing. My bad habits had become so ingrained I broke my swing down in small increments and practiced each increment for hours building each piece. Honestly, I had to change everything because I allowed myself to develop poor habits.
  2. I purchased a driver that I know matched my swing. I got it cheap on EBay for $50.
  3. I purchased a net and a small pocket monitor to measure my swing speed.
  4. I followed Bryson and Kyle Berkshires speed training regimen after I rebuilt my swing. See the link I posted earlier. I established a baseline and built it up properly. I started at a baseline of 83-85 mph, in 3 weeks my new baseline is now 94-95mph. Yesterday my SS was averaging 96mph. BEFORE you do any intense training like that build up a little fitness and stretch the old muscles out or you WILL spasm and that ain’t good.
  5. I started last February, I did not bring any changes to the course until late July. I practiced 1 to 2 hours a day 6 days a week. I recorded each session. It takes work and single mindedness but you will achieve increases if you do it properly no matter your age.
    My swing now is properly using the legs and trunk to develop speed and consistency. I was using arms before because of an accident I had 6 years ago and it was painful to do otherwise. Now that is mostly healed, so the proper motions are painless at the moment.
2 Likes

Thanks. Don’t plan on doing 1-2 hrs per day practice–1 hr 3 x week is my limit due to arthritis and because I don’t want to put in more time…have a 22 hcp, and will be happy if I can cut it to 15-16 hcp or even break 20. I have a good setup and understand club face angle vs clubbed path in my swing. Only avg about 180yds per drive. How to use body to add distance has always been tough. Tried Paul Wilson’s Body Swing Golf to little benefit, though I am better about being relaxed. 7-iron is about 128y. Currently working on forward staft lean and facing top of left hand toward target on impact. Putting is probably my biggest weakness. Avg 2.2-2.4 putts per green. Not qualified to analyze my own swing on video.

1 Like