Chipping Away at Getting Better

Todd, I’m no where a 2 at the moment. That’s where I was until age 35. I’m currently a 9. But I have worked extremely hard to rebuild a mechanically sound swing. I see you said you picked up 20 yards yourself. That’s not exactly ez as you hit 60. Even 10 yds doesn’t happen. My posts above basically chronicles at age 63, with photos of my 8 month obsession devoting 2-3 hours a day just on that and it took me 5 months before I even took it to the course. What is your secret? I never competed except for a few club tournaments here or there. I have wagered a few shekels in my life. At one point, I made more money on the course than I would bring home in a week, to go along with caddying and cooking in restaurants. So wagering with my “rent$$” certainly forced my game. Anyway, interested to hear what you had to do to pick up significant yardage like that.

1 Like

No doubt, a review of mechanics, and get that settled to where you’re comfy and then about a month of speed training, you’ll be there. I promise. Just don’t hurt yourself, stretch out for about 20 minutes before any speed training. I know that’s Capt Obvious but when we get older, the muscles structure does contract. Yeah I know, a No S Sherlock moment for me there. I’m telling you getting a bit more sound with your lower body and having the ability to improve that by 50%. You’ll be happy with the results! Good Luck!

2 Likes

J that’s awesome. I really appreciate that link. One of the biggest focuses on my Driver swing mechanics has been staying behind my target. I know I moved my AOA a lot. When I started my quest it was negative 2 or 3, to zero. I moved it up to like +2 or 3 according to simulator at the range. I’m going to try and increase that a titch more now like to +3 or 4 and see what happens. I think my actual AOA right now as of September was like 0, 1 or 2 from where I was negative before. Maybe try and flatten out a bit more. Ya get afraid of the pop up. Know what I mean. Thank you thank you. I will let you know in a couple weeks of my results. I am going for a session this weekend hopefully.Helpful explanation of AoA

1 Like

I’m glad you liked the article.

One caveat: I don’t remember whether it’s in that post, a related post, or The Practice Manual, but I do remember reading that he achieves that high AoA by really going forward with his impact. So much so, that it’s well past square, and in outside to in when viewed from behind. His clubface is square to the path, so the net is a pull, about (IIRC) 15-20 degrees left of a square target line. But a very high launch, low spin, efficient pull.

2 Likes

MJ, 3 things contributed. my new driver helped. I got a C721 driver from Tour Edge and that was combined with a better attack angle which made my ball carry further which produced a lot less spin. I have come to appreciate the low spin dynamic. Makes all the difference in the world.

2 Likes

LOL …interesting …those are the Langer Clubs. Lower spin off the club face helps for sure. At least you didn’t say SQAIRZ shoes…LOL. 2 years ago I purchased a TM SLDR 430, 9* Stiff. Was a great deal. Really produced amazing low spin rate, average around 1850-2100. I just couldn’t control it. I ended up buying a never used Adams 9088ul. That club is really amazing. Adams was way ahead of everyone with real Dr technology. I spent $50 ea for both clubs. I just purchased a lightly used 9064ls by 'Barney but it’s 8.5*. That’s what I’m going to see if I can increase my AoA and keep my LA down. That was an investment of $39 99. I love eBay! I’ve actually tried a few new TM Clubs and the Ping 425, before I changed my mechanics back, I was hoping new clubs was my answer when I turned 62, they did nothing! It ended up for me being me…hah. I fixed the old me and voila, with the new balls I could really see the difference. I think I saw in another post you use a Snell MB. for a while I was using Supersofts, I was always a ProV1 user…but at 83-85 they didn’t work. Now that my new baseline is 94-95 I can hit those again. For us old guys these new balls really help a ton. Way better than Those Balata100s from Titleist.

2 Likes

How did you increase your swing speed? I’m 69 and play 1x week, practice every day.

1 Like

John I posted above my general journey.

1. Recorded my swing and analyzed the swing flaws that started with poor grip, ball alignment, takeaway, shallowing, right elbow to hip connection, downswing, release and follow thru. I also had a major advantage in that I used to teach and I know in general what I wasn’t doing. My bad habits had become so ingrained I broke my swing down in small increments and practiced each increment for hours building each piece. Honestly, I had to change everything because I allowed myself to develop poor habits.
  2. I purchased a driver that I know matched my swing. I got it cheap on EBay for $50.
  3. I purchased a net and a small pocket monitor to measure my swing speed.
  4. I followed Bryson and Kyle Berkshires speed training regimen after I rebuilt my swing. See the link I posted earlier. I established a baseline and built it up properly. I started at a baseline of 83-85 mph, in 3 weeks my new baseline is now 94-95mph. Yesterday my SS was averaging 96mph. BEFORE you do any intense training like that build up a little fitness and stretch the old muscles out or you WILL spasm and that ain’t good.
  5. I started last February, I did not bring any changes to the course until late July. I practiced 1 to 2 hours a day 6 days a week. I recorded each session. It takes work and single mindedness but you will achieve increases if you do it properly no matter your age.
    My swing now is properly using the legs and trunk to develop speed and consistency. I was using arms before because of an accident I had 6 years ago and it was painful to do otherwise. Now that is mostly healed, so the proper motions are painless at the moment.
2 Likes

Thanks. Don’t plan on doing 1-2 hrs per day practice–1 hr 3 x week is my limit due to arthritis and because I don’t want to put in more time…have a 22 hcp, and will be happy if I can cut it to 15-16 hcp or even break 20. I have a good setup and understand club face angle vs clubbed path in my swing. Only avg about 180yds per drive. How to use body to add distance has always been tough. Tried Paul Wilson’s Body Swing Golf to little benefit, though I am better about being relaxed. 7-iron is about 128y. Currently working on forward staft lean and facing top of left hand toward target on impact. Putting is probably my biggest weakness. Avg 2.2-2.4 putts per green. Not qualified to analyze my own swing on video.

1 Like

Jon,
Are you certain of your set up and grip? If you have a phone a face on recording will tell you. How is your fitness? I would strongly encourage stretching or even light yoga to help you stretch out. There are several videos available of Mr Hogan showing the basics of lower body and trunk to give you power. I would also invest in a pocket club head speed monitor if you are serious about picking up distance. It’s totally achievable even at 69 to get something out there 220+ that should be your goal. My first 4 months of practice was without a ball. It was building feeling. All of Mr Hogan’s fundamentals still apply except for achieving a positive AOA and you want to increase launch angle. I’m not searching for 300 at age 63. I’m trying to be 245-255. But that’s now achievable for me because I didn’t want to settle for hitting the ball and still being able to hear it land. No Bueno

1 Like