Block Practice vs. Random Practice

Figured I’d throw a couple things out to explain the difference. A great podcast about this from Cordie Walker and great series of videos from the folks at Game Like Training. If we really want to improve our game, isn’t this how we should be practicing?

https://get.golfsciencelab.com/practice-secrets

3 Likes

Great topic! My instinct is that most golfers default to block and don’t know anything about the benefits of random. Here’s an article that also has a link to a podcast I did w/ Cordie and @Adamyounggolf

4 Likes

I think this article is what got me turned onto golf science lab podcast. Then Cordie had on Iian Highfield who has the game like training book and school. It’s changed my life in the golf sense. Funny that even having a golf coach I wasn’t hearing this stuff. Sometimes I think they’re so focused with a plan that they forget the little things that can help a student when they’re on their own and not in lesson time.

2 Likes

I think a lot of golf instructors are starting to change their methods, but traditionally, this kind of coaching philosophy wasn’t really “main stream.” I think you’ll start to see the next generation of teachers more in tune with not only modern information on the golf swing, but also how to practice more effectively. Golf is a slowwwwww industry to change!

2 Likes

I only recently learned about random practice. For 40 years, block practice was all I knew. I’m now alternating my practice sessions between the two.

2 Likes

Pretty crazy that this is just now a thing. I have a friend, I’ve talked about him before, I am sure he is about a 2 handicap, but he claims 7. Anyway, he is 59, and he is one hell of a golfer. I have talked to him about this randomized practice, and have even made him go through one of my practice sessions with me. He complained the entire time and kept telling me that doesn’t work for him. He said “I know how to practice for me, what works. I just have to hit a bunch of golfballs!” I told him to expand his thinking that this is scientifically proven over a ten year research period. Nonetheless, he is still blocked out. I can’t wait until the day I beat him and I can tell him, see if you would have just listened to me… :joy:

1 Like

This is a common response. I think I discovered random practice as a kid just “playing” in the yard, but went away from it as I grew up. It’s a great element to introduce to your practice sessions for a number of reasons.

2 Likes

For me, it’s the difference of practicing golf swing vs practicing golf. I believe the more we can change the focus from our swing to the target, the better we will play.

2 Likes

This was such a great article. I see it at the range all the time. People start with a half swing or less wedge, move to PW, 7 iron, maybe 5 iron, fairway wood, then mash drivers for 30 minutes and finish with a couple wedges. Just pick one target per club and swing swing swing.

Random practice is maybe one of the things that took me from a 1-3 to a scratch golfer. Testing different shots. Different targets. Hitting a wedge, then a driver, down to a mid iron, back to a wedge. That sort of thing mimics real golf better than hitting fifteen 7-irons at one target and the more you can prepare yourself to take what you do at the range to the course, the better your scores will be.

3 Likes

I use both. I will block practice for the majority of my practice. As I get closer to what I am preparing for, tourney or whatever, I will move to straight random. Works for me as it is easier to ingrain something in a block setting but preparation for a round is best with random.

2 Likes

I do a blend of both, I read The Talent Code which provided more insight on how I should approach improving my game.

2 Likes

I’m always block. Random happens when on the course. Interested in thinking through other options, need to read/listen to some of the material referenced above.

1 Like

You should really check out game like training. Also there is a book by Iian Highfield called practice like you play. Best $20 I ever spent.

My best session on the driving range is most block practice but I am never hitting the same club over and over again.

• Will pick a target in the distance and try and hit all of my shots at this target. Helps if you can go over a couple of the greens on the driving range. Also the range has trees at the back where I practice so it is easy to pick one of them out. Go through my full pre-shot routine each time. Reason for the same target is that I am going to hit the same shot on the course 90% of the time. The other 10% I would rather give myself situations in a practice round to actual practice.

• The random part is that I will go to a random number generator and put 1-12, what ever number it hits on is the club I hit. I will hit two shots with each club before choosing another number. Only except to this is that every third club I will hit Driver unless I just recently hit 3-iron or 3-wood as those are the only other clubs I will hit off the tee.

I use 12 clubs as I don’t hit Low Wedge full and I have a good short game area where I can hit a ball onto a green from 80 yards and in and that is where I get in that practice.

2 Likes

A great explanation that I was taught is…

1. Block - for working on a specific technique (eg. I have to practice that weight shift move in transition that my instructor showed me)
  2. Random - change clubs / change targets every shot (eg. simulate course conditions)

…and also…

1. Challenge, or “competitive” - play games against yourself on the range; for example picture a narrow fairway between two marker signs … hit 3 drivers trying to land 3 balls within your “fairway”; then take an iron and imagine a green at N yards and try land 3 balls on your “green”, etc etc. You could even keep score and track progress over time :+1:
3 Likes

It’s my opinion that all forms of practice are beneficial, but blocked and random work to improve you by differing mechanisms.

It’s almost like looking at whether practicing golf is better than hitting the gym.

Blocked can be good to grasp new movement patterns in the early stages. It can also be a confidence builder due to the improved performance aspect.

however, random produces more realistic shot patterns, forces you to access the motor patterns you have built up, and tend to promote the same locus of attention that you would use on the course - thus improving transference.

Hard to put potentially 10 hours of conversation into one comment, but the above is a starter.

6 Likes

Totally agree. Use block when I’m working on a certain feel. If and when I get comfortable with that feel, I’ll put it to the test in random practice. But it doesn’t seem very helpful to go through random practice with a new feel that seems uncomfortable and sporadic.

1 Like

I think block practice takes more dedication than most people will give it in order to work. It is difficult to make permanent swing changes. But random practice, even in small doses, can help golfers improve.

1 Like

Whether we think block practice or random practice is the best. I think quote is right on, you wont be productive if you don’t have a plan.

3 Likes