Blade or Mallet Putter?

Ounzsaz24zzsww2aaawaz

Iā€™ve been a mallet guy since I replaced my Anser in 96-ishā€¦ Getting fit at Seemore this week, and might go back? Who knowsā€¦ Iā€™ll ask Cody about the differences and see if I glean anything ā€œnewā€.

1 Like

I have no idea how I posted this. My phone was in my pocket, somehow opened the Forum app and out came the giberish. :joy:

4 Likes

Iā€™m putter focused right now, so I thought it was an interesting topicā€¦ Figured something had happened, and Iā€™m bored at home, so I responded :laughing:

Girls are finally back in school, and I decided to tie myself to the house and smoke a pork shoulderā€¦ oh well.

2 Likes

Sounds like a pretty solid Monday! Iā€™ve been using a mallet for the last 9 years, had a Scotty Newport 2 before that. My putting has been pretty abysmal so far to start the year. Iā€™ve made some good putts but also had some bad speed on lag putts which has led to way too many 3 putts.

I really prefer the mallet, especially with the Claw that I switched to recently, but Iā€™m going to change my superstroke grip this week to their claw version and see if that helps a bit.

1 Like

I think my biggest problem with putting is distance control, but I think itā€™s less impact and more strokeā€¦ Iā€™m walking into my fitting with a completely open mind, and will be curious to see where we end up. Iā€™ve done a number of different grips over the years, but none have really improved my distance controlā€¦ The weight right below my hands in the Edel putter seemed to have the largest effect, so I have vague plans of retrofitting whatever putter I buy with some weight up in the shaft (my assistant pro, who did the Edel fitting, has volunteered to help with this process)

1 Like

Iā€™ve been a mallet guy for as long as I can remember caring about my score. Iā€™ve gamed an Odyssey white hot #7 for yearsā€¦mixing in a center shafted Wilson Southside Infinite occasionally (that I recently converted to an armlock, then went back to conventional).

I just bought a Ray Cook version of the Taylormade Spider X. I love the weight of the Spider X but donā€™t want to drop $250-300 until I LOVE IT. The Ray Cook version cost me $60, and so far I love the weight and balance. Super helpful to me using the new to me ā€œIntuitive Puttingā€ style.

Also recently picked up an old two ball that Iā€™m refurbishing.

So far, so goodā€¦but only 9 live holes on the course so farā€¦damn winter.

3 Likes

I personally like the mallet style and have since I was a kid. As in most of my sentiments about putting I say to use what is going to give you the best feel and the most confidence. Other than LOVING your putter, which you should, the fitting guys can tell you more about toe hang, face balanced etc based on your stroke.

To me blade putters have a little more ā€˜Popā€™ to them, and I think that is from less mass hitting the ball at impact. The mallets seem to absorb more of the blow and feel a bit softer to me.

I am not a physics major or anything just what I have felt trying different putters over the years.

2 Likes

Always had blades, my primary one the last years has been a SeeMore m7x, but during the holidayā€™s I got a Odyssey Armlock (Seven mallet) from CPO to play around with so letā€™s see where Iā€™ll end up.

A side note on the topic, after just practicing with the armlock my stroke with the normal putter has gotten a lot better.

2 Likes

Covfefe!

I like mallets for the sightline, but have always preferred a putter to toe hang as much as possible. I like a blade on shorter putts, but overall I think I do better with a mallet.

Currently have an Odyssey 7S. I used my pro shop credit to order a TM Ardmore 3 which I demoed and liked a bit better, but I ordered it 3 months ago and still no ETA. Might change to a Toulon Las Vegas H7 since I still have even more credit.

2 Likes

The H7 Las Vegas is incredible. I love mine and would recommend it to anyone. Itā€™s right between face balanced and toe hanged (sp?).

1 Like

Love how your inadvertent ā€œbutt-dialingā€ post went straight to golf and the PG forum! Never tried a mallet, like the idea of a central staff location, but going to go with the See More blade first. Alignment and distance control are my biggest challenges. Hopefully will eventually get better at green reading.

3 Likes

I have an ancient Acushnet Bullseye centre shaft blade. It is the only putter I have ever used.

3 Likes

Beware playing against the golfer with a Bullseyeā€¦
Blade for meā€¦Iā€™ve tried so many mallets, want to like themā€¦but they just donā€™t work for me.
But, itā€™s an armlock bladeā€¦love the SIK pro c

1 Like

Was good putter with mallet for years but fitting at club champion changed me to blade with 25 grams of toe hang because of my unknown arc stroke- best to get fitted to really see stroke as I was sure I was straight back and straight thru

2 Likes

Nice! Fitting is always a good ideaā€¦

I got fit into another malletā€¦ my old putter didnā€™t register on the swing weight scale and total weight was over 600 gramsā€¦

This is one of the reasons I sought out professional help.