Best solutions to get rid of the yips

Start here:

2 Likes

Iron shots it’s a waggle or 2 sort of like Dufner. For putts I take a last look at the hole and then go, but I have been playing around with rocking my feet a bit. I’m still working on the putting and I feel like I may need a bit more motion or a better trigger before making the stroke.

2 Likes

(Opens thread…closes thread)

4 Likes

No worries, I think the evidence is pretty conclusive by now that the yips aren’t contagious …probably…almost definitely, probably, most likely not contagious …maybe.

2 Likes

Let’s see…first I went left hand low, and that worked for several years. Then I went back to conventional. That was good for another year. Now I’m arm-lock putting. That seems to be the best.

Whenever this discussion comes up I just tell people to look at pro golfers. They are equally mystified by putting and often make changes quite often. Putting is just that hard!

2 Likes

Tiger is famous for exactly 1 putter (plus some Nikes that don’t really get named), but check out his club wall:

Guaranteed he’s hit a bunch of putts with every single one of those putters, searching for “something”, but they still never saw tournament greens.

1 Like

That’s a lot of clubs (putters especially). Can I get a one day pass to select whatever I want?

Pretty sure that’s the wall near the indoor putting lab. He also has a full club workshop with more stuff.

Get opposite-handed 7iron & putter. Guaranteed!

I’ll keep preaching. Putt while looking at the hole…that will cure the yips (in my opinion)…no technical thoughts, just feeling the hole. “Instinct Putting” - Eric Alpenfels

1 Like

Did this ever get resolved?

I don’t have any great advice outside of focus on tempo and don’t worry about the ball… it should be in the way of your stroke, and not something you are trying to hit.

Another one i like is your trigger is “it is OK to miss”

Unconscious spot putting routine helps a ton imo

Pick a spot… roll it over the spot… it is ok to miss

The yips are the body flinching and anticipating the hit

If you google george gankas putting you can watch him talk about the “ok to miss” trigger

1 Like

I was really struggling with my putting a while back and I’m not quite sure I had the yips, but I was probably well on my way. I had found something using Left Hand Low for say 15 ft and in and a regular grip for longer putts (LHL on New England public greens is hard to get the ball to the hole), but that cure didn’t last. The pro told me to pick one grip and then practice pushing the ball to the hole or a target. Initially I found pushing the ball really difficult as I just wanted to pull the putter back and hit the ball, but I kept doing it and it really helped me. It helps take away my urge to hit the ball and to make a smoother stroke. If I don’t use the drill (and some others) regularly though the old tendencies start to come back.

I pray, then practice drills, see a minister or clergy person, pray some more! Then go to the course practice, pray and hope!

If you want to stop the yips, stop yipping
-Dustin Johnson

2 Likes

The Congregation of Hit-n-Hope. Amen, brethren!

I try to have putter head “chase” the ball down the line. I guess it’s somewhat of a push.

1 Like

This is up there with Ollie Schneiderjans describing how to hit a stinger.

1 Like