Best Anger stories

Update. I have since found out it was just a coincidence that 2 shafts were in the same bin. The driver broke when the person used it to hit a recovery shot out of the trees and he hit the tree on the follow through. It was a playing partner of one of my mates. When they went thru 9 the putter shaft was already there. My mate said the guy had 18pts after 8 then with no driver fell apart.

We’ve spotted a few golf clubs hanging high up in the tree branches, and one of these days it might dislodge itself from the tree branches, hope no one would be near that tree when it happens.
It is not only potentially dangerous to the other golfers around nut the behavior would also influence other’s mood.
Who wants to be around a grumpy person complaining and throwing golf clubs next to them?
I don’t mind to golf with a brand new beginner golfer, but I can’t stand to be in the same group as someone who is older than 12 years old that would throw golf clubs.

9th tee playing partner talking on phone while I was teeing off and I pulled my drive ob. 18th tee was talking again and I half topped my driving iron right towards ob (found it in the fairway after it must have hit a tree). I lashed out saying both times you were talking my ball went ob. He responded with he was waiting 5 minutes for me on the tee while I tried to find the ball of another playing partner. I responded with “don’t you have any etiquette?” The response was I have etiquette and a threat to deck me. Wow what an escalation and then he said he is going to leave our group for a few weeks. All he had to do was say sorry for talking and it would have been all forgotten about.

1 Like

Oh well.
I don’t keep company like that.
No matter what his excuse was, there is no place for cellular phone on the golf course. And the threat to deck you for asking him not to talk on the phone while others are teeing off?
It might be the best when he said he’ll leave the group for awhile, someone should have told him don’t bother to come back if he does not apologize, and change his behavior.
Long ago we had a guy who will toss golf clubs and smashed one around a tree resulting in broken shaft sending the head with a piece of the shaft still attached to it flying toward another guy in the group. We told him to take some time off and he got the drift.
Never golf with that guy again.
There is no reason to yak on the phone on the golf course, even when waiting on the tee box for the group ahead to clear. Some will check their messages, in silence of course.
Perhaps that guy was larger than you are, LOL, he would not dare to say such thing to someone larger than he is.

1 Like

We have golfed together for over a year and he lives 550m away from me. I thought he was and is a good friend. Others in the group don’t think I have anything to apologise for and that they were surprised that the other guy escalated like he did. He can get upset with his play but has never thrown a club. Hopefully he will calm down and return in a few weeks.

1 Like

It is good for you to find it in your heart to forgive someone who threatened to deck you.
I would say, that’s worth at least two pints of a good brew from your friend.
Physical threat is never a good act, especially between acquaintance. I hope he had a real good excuse for what he did.
We should forgive him if he was dealing with something difficult at the time, to have to keep on the phone and escalating the issue.
That’s, for you to find out.

I know the phone call was a work call even though he has retired and handed the company to his son to run. But he still works for a nominal amount. His words were something like “I’ll take you”

He draws a blue line around his ball and writes Dave on the side. Two weeks ago I sliced my drive on 3 towards ob. I reached into my bag and found one of his balls I had previously found on the course and nailed it straight up the right side. I found my first ball and chipped out then couldn’t find my provisional. It was a scuffed and slightly dirty bridgestone. It turned out Dave had hit it even though his was a shiny srixon. I don’t know if this had any bearing on this. I should have given him his ball back, not put it in play when playing with him. It turned out his scrixon was another 50m up over the top of the hill. Also he was complacent not checking that it was his ball before hitting.

First, senior will make that kind of mistake owing to declining vision, and the cognitive awareness.
Secondly, if you found any golf ball on the golf course, it is yours. If the owner of the golf ball was not searching for it at the moment of discovery.
However, I would try to clean it up and take off any marking if I could. Cover the existing marking if the marking is too large or difficult to remove.
It should have no bearing on his behavior toward you. Now You had disclosed this prior event, so the tension might have been brewing for sometime before he “intentionally” made noise during your golf swing.
It is up to you how to take this from now on. Life is short. Make up if you guys are going to be golfing together in the future. Explaining of how you have come about his golf ball would be a good conversation if you guys have a chance to sit down for a group drink on the 19th.
Otherwise, cut it off clean. This is not a marriage which you should do everything you could to keep it together.
You are not obligated to golf with anyone you don’t want to. Spending 4 hours+ each time on the golf course is a lot of commitment.
I’m mostly a public golf course, daily fee golfer. I prefer to play lone wolf, if not in a group event. Been there done that, arranging for carpool, figure out the small betting among the 50-80 guys; tag along for the 19th and snack ( that’s where they’ll announce the winning for the day and absentees forfeit the winnings if any ), arrange to get to the drop off point if carpooling.
I figured I’d save at least a couple of hours of my time if I lone wolf and golf with some strangers. Besides the minimum social interaction for the duration, there is no strings attached. No big deal if any one annoyed me because I’ll probably never see them again.
But in your case, this guy lives a couple of drivers and a pitch shot away from you and you will see each other frequently on the same golf course, so maybe patching up will be a good idea.

I am not holding any grudges. The ball is totally in his court. Plus he gives me his used cans and bottles that are worth 10c each. Another playing partner categorized him as volatile but I hadn’t seen it before. He has told me he plays in his Saturday group but won’t sit with them in the clubhouse. Sits by himself. I hope our Thursday group doesn’t fall to that when he comes back. If he comes back. I don’t think the talking was deliberate to put me off. I am not in the comp so no gain in taking me down. He said not to book him for a few weeks so in 2 weeks I will book him and see what happens.

1 Like

Sounds like he’s having issue with more people than just between you two.
Again, if you found “his” lost golf ball other than when he was present. It is a fair game for anyone who picked it up.
I don’t pick up golf balls on the golf courses any more, unless it’s a fairly new premium golf ball.
I know a guy who picked up golf balls in the last decade and filled a 55 gallon plastic drum with them. He never clean and sort them for use, just left it in the storage bin. Asking if I need some of them. I declined.

I don’t lose golf balls very often these days, most of the golf balls will be 'retired" after a round or two because the cover would be scuffed up. Into my shag bag for winter months play.

1 Like

I had a bad habit of smacking my forehead with the shaft of my putter. It would hit the shaft about 3/4 of the way to the head. Well, one day I hit myself a bit hard and the broke the shaft. I felt pretty stupid

3 Likes

Woody Austin is that you??? :wink:

1 Like

Not a great habit. Lucky it was just the shaft you broke DP.

1 Like

Here’s something a little different. 4 capper was playing in a pro-am. Was hitting his ball poorly in all facets of the game. Player 4 putted a hole and just snapped the putter in half. Pro walked over and asked the 4 capper if he was ok, he seemed very angry and breaking a putter was expensive and over the top. 4 Capper starts running down the proverbial list of why he was miffed. Pro says here’s some advice, take a deep breath, try and enjoy the day, you are playing golf and not working, and BTW, take this thought to the next tee and every round after this. “You aren’t good enough to be Angry”. Thought that was a real good perspective……