ARRCOS Caddie Link

Thanks for the update. It’s important to share info like this because when you do buy a product, you want to make sure the company will stand behind it!

I have the sensors and am using the phone in my pocket method.

I’m interested in buying the Caddie Link but will probably hold out until Christmas.

I’m a big fan of the product overall. I’m not sure this is the right place for an overall assessment of Arrcos so I’ll hold back opinions in this thread.

1 Like

Just got back from my first round using the link. It was so easy I forgot about it until the 4th hole. I also kept forgetting to push the button to mark the hole location. Really nice seeing the Caddie part while in my cart, vs pulling it out of my pants every time.

Thanks Jon, as per my previous help desk question, they also responded back wanting to verify my satisfaction. Sounds like a good company.

1 Like

I bought the sensors last July and wast 100% sold on the idea. BUT at the time I was a 16 handicap working hard to improve my game as fast as I could. After taking the time to start reviewing past rounds and looking at my numbers I was honestly able to start taking smarter shots.
This past month as my annual subscription was coming to an end I almost didn’t renew just for the simple fact I knew my yardage and have started playing g the USAmateur tour so I did t want to feel obligated to keep pulling my phone out for a yardage. But since they updated the app to the shots gained information I love it more than ever. I suggest it to anyone.

Great feedback! I think the yearly subscription is a little bit of a bummer, but if you feel you’re getting value out of it and it’s helping lower your scores then it’s definitely worth it.

Yeah I felt stuck before. But now with the strokes gained it is most definitely a benefit to my game. Sometimes as bad and weird as it seems I know I loose concentration trying to worry about if the sensors are working or not.

1 Like

I think I can provide some useful insight here as I have used and own both. Earlier this year I bought the V3, as my frustration with waiting on the link boiled over. My biggest gripe was the phone in the pocket but also I wanted to use my phone to play music at times. I have been an arccos user since shortly after they came out and would estimate that I have well over 10,000 shots in the system. I probably have about 15 rounds in V3. Here are my observations:

On Course Use:
The V3 is awesome in that it also serves as a golf watch. The watch itself is a great product and I have continued to use it even after the link came out (more on that later)

The Caddie app is very useful when I am playing a new course, I don’t rely on the caddie feature much - I try to do my round planning before I play. But for checking on a specific carry distance or getting a distance to a specific spot on the green it is very useful. For non-tournament rounds I also really like the expanded plays as feature. I usually expand the breakdown and eliminate the wind calc and replace with my own estimate. I have found that the other adjustments are very accurate (barometric pressure, temp, and elevation) and referring to them in casual play has helped me better estimate these conditions when playing in tournament rounds.

Post Round Editing:
There’s just no comparison here, the arccos app is so much easier to make changes after your round. I love shotscope’s app but it takes me probably twice as long to make the little tweaks that I do every round.

My current process (playing with the link) is to mark the pin using the link and then write down first putt distance on my scorecard. After the round I go in and make sure the first putt is in the right place and the right distance. I rely heavily on the proximity stat so I am very careful to make sure this is very accurate. This process is very quick with arccos and very accurate.

Stats:
Before strokes gained I would have told you that the stats engines are very comparable. Strokes gained is a huge game changer for me. The ability to see specifically in what part of your game you are giving up strokes is a huge benefit. For instance, right after they came out with strokes gained I learned that I was giving up half a stroke around on approach shots from the tee (im a 2.8 hcp so this is a huge revelation). I quit using a tee on most par 3s and have seen immediate improvement. There are dozens of other small insights like that that I think are extremely helpful. I also use club data in arccos to estimate my dispersion with different clubs in different conditions and have found that using this data to plan rounds has been highly effective. Shotscope also has a great stats engine but with the recent changes at arccos it is a clear winner here.

Verdict:
I had quit using arccos entirely earlier this year, eventually I switched to shotscope and enjoyed it but found that the post round editing hassle made me a little less ocd about my accuracy of my stats which is not a good thing. Once link came out I switched back and I am absolutely loving it again. I am getting ready to leave for Pinehurst tomorrow and am planning on playing with the shotscope watch and using the link to track the round.

Hopefully this is helpful, let me know if you have any follow up questions - ill try to keep an eye on this post.

1 Like

great summary, thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough writeup!

From what I understand Shot Scope will have strokes gained in 2021. Once they do have that feature, how would you evaluate them? Also, do you think it’s worth paying the yearly fee for Arccos?

Good questions, once Shotscope has the strokes gained feature I would say that they are extremely comparable from a stats standpoint. I love the dispersion on the dashboard on Shotscope, I just logged back in to remind myself how it looks and it is phenomenal. The one place i would still give arrcos a lead is in post round editing, I can do it in a few minutes from my phone, Shotscope is tough to do until you login to the computer. It would not be hard to make a few ui improvements to shotscopes app to get it up to the same ease of use though. I would imagine they are improving this feature.

As far as subscription, I have been with arccos long enough that I’m grand fathered in, I cant remember if that stays that way forever but today I don’t pay a subscription. Honestly though with the amount of money I spend on golf, any fee (within reason) probably makes financial sense.

One other thought I did have on shotscope, I LOVE that the sensors don’t have batteries, when an Arccos sensor goes out they are easy to replace but its one more thing you have to mess with.

2 Likes

Great review ! Thanks for posting

I received my Link a few weeks ago. Although I don’t recall specifically, I believe it charged in an afternoon. Worked as expected during play. I really like the feature that allows you to easily mark pin location while on the green, much easier than pulling out phone to do so. I still play with my phone in my pocket to quickly check yardage

1 Like

I just got my sensors last night to put on my clubs. I have not gotten the link so it says i have to keep my phone in my front pocket while hitting, is that correct? I can just place it in my pants pocket and it will be fine? Will be using them for the first time on saturday.

Ty

correct, the phone must be on you because that’s how it’s measuring where you are on the course when the shot is hit (the link removes the need for your phone)

thank you, so i got a great deal on the sensors because of buying the new driver. I will try them out and see how i like it before i go and purchase the link.

Let me know how it goes!

I will be playing saturday and sunday so i will definitely let you know what i think. ty

1 Like

I love the total Arccos experience. Strokes Gained. Link. Dashboard. I would highly recommend it to any golfer.

2 Likes

Having to be tethered to a phone is a deal breaker for me.

So i used it for the first time this past weekend. Still undecided. Didnt really bother me to have my phone in my pocket but it would turn off after so long and i am not sure if the Arrcos kept up with it. When i checked after the round i noticed my score was different and it missed different shots. I guess i have to fool around with it to see how it really works. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Ty

1 Like