Anyone Else a Whoop User?

I believe the Whoop has a lot of health applications. Unfortunately, they are not allowed to do a lot to inform about these uses because it would turn the Whoop into a medical device which would require testing and FDA approval.

Give me a year and I’ll let you know if I figure anything out (I have a 1-year-old at home) :grin:

I am a fitness professional for the past 10 years and I’ve used it. Personally, I didn’t find it super useful and ultimately not worth the cost.

I am pretty in tune with my health so I try and do the basic things right (sleep enough, eat relatively clean, de stress, recover from whatever) and when I don’t I can feel it.

For people who have never really paid attention to that or people who just love data, I can see some benefit.

I saw that article. Absolutely crazy - he is one lucky guy.

I’m an Apple Watch user and I think there is a ton of value in tracking your baseline numbers. I can always tell when I’m getting sick because my resting BPM will be out of whack. In an extreme case it can definitely save your life!

1 Like

It can’t be too long before we move from wearables to implanted chips. There is just too much value to monitoring heart rates and other vitals.

I’m a bit of a fanatic around wearables as a startup hacking guy and I agree that we are just at its infancy. The implantable chips aren’t exactly here yet but continuous glucose monitors are pretty darn close and are an amazing tool for controlling blood sugar and understanding how food and exercise impacts your glucose levels. I don’t doubt the millions of people who suffer from diabetes will end up using them as the prices come down.

1 Like

And the new O2 sensors add a lot of potential new functionality.

Just posted this article from @Ebs02 about his experience with Whoop

2 Likes

Love the article @jon posted today about the Whoop. It has changed my life, both the way I sleep and how I workout. But the biggest benefit is the comfort I feel knowing that it is constantly monitoring my heart and my health.

1 Like

Was close to ordering a Whoop even though I have a Galaxy Active 2 watch, but then I was able to get an early buy on Amazon’s Halo so I tried that. No fee for the moment (I think it goes to < $10/month) and it was $65 where the Whoop is $360/year.

So far it performs well. It seems to track my heart rate and sleep better than my watch. I used to work for Polar so I have a really good chest strap HR monitor I compare other devices too. I haven’t really gotten into all the data yet. I was curious if CBD would really help my sleep so that’s something I’m starting to track.

Please report back on your sleep with the CBD.

I did put a few posts in the CBD topic, but not sure I have enough data yet. I went a week with the min dosage and both my watch and Halo said my sleep improved significantly ~ 25%. Last night I increased the dosage just a bit and I didn’t wake up at all which is rare, but my overall sleep rating was back down. Any sleep quality increase could have been just a fluke with only a week’s worth of data. I will track it for at least a month and see if there are any real changes.

1 Like

Just put in my order for a Halo this week. Does anyone know the hardware differences in the sensors between them? I get that they’re quite different in the information that they’re reporting at present, but I’m wondering if the Whoop has sensors that the Halo lacks, or if future Halo app updates might include some of this data.

I’ve heard Whoop has better HR tracking, but I’ve only read some reviews that say that and I don’t know if Whoop has better hardware or better software or really is the same. I felt $30/month was a bit high considering I’m not a pro athlete wanting every ounce of data I can get. I also know that if you want the best HR data, you still want a chest strap as the farther away you measure from your heart the less accuracy you have.

1 Like

@mpatrickriley
I wrote about my experiences with the Halo in the thread above last month. I was very unimpressed. It really doesn’t seem to be much of a Whoop competitor at all.

1 Like

I definitely noted that. I still would be interested in knowing how the hardware sensors compare. If the Whoop has hardware that the Halo doesn’t, the differences between them won’t be bridged. But if they’re operating with essentially the same sensors, the software can improve.

2 Likes

For the Whoop peeps out there, do any of you use the bicep band? I’m considering jumping in but I’ve never really like wearing a watch or anything on my wrist. Curious to see if anyone uses the arm and what they think of it

I’ve seen from users online that if you don’t have big biceps, the normal band has enough slack to fit over the upper arm and stay secure.

I have the bicep strap and love it. I really don’t like sleeping with the wrist band. With the bicep strap I don’t even notice that I have the whoop on. The only very minor issue is sometimes when I pull off a shirt it will catch on the whoop and move it so that i have to adjust the whoop on my arm.

1 Like

I have thought about switching to the bicep band but not done so yet. Main reason, I have heard other folks say it does not report accurately when playing golf. Something to do with the club/ground interaction and the strap on your wrist.

Has anybody else seen or heard similar issues?