Anyone backweighting irons or woods?

I’m curious as I was just fitted for some new irons and like the last time (2016) I was struggling with the 5 and 6 irons until I added some backweights. The total weight was there and the MOI was matched, but I was struggling with them and the balance felt off. I added 16g to the 5i and 12 to the 6i (and 8g to the 7i) and they feel so much better…I still might make those weights 20, 16 and 12, but I want to hit these more.

It’s odd because during the fitting I didn’t need a backweight to hit them well, but once on the course and even at the range I struggled. I felt like I couldn’t lag them and was also getting really steep. Backweights in and it seemed easier to make a decent swing. For whatever reason I had a groove going on the launch monitor I guess.

I have poor tempo so extra weight in a club is generally good for me, but the balance point also seems to be key. I sometimes feel like the Princess and the Pea with clubs lol.

1 Like

I’ve definitely added some lead weight to clubs… I’m usually ok with irons, but can’t play light woods, especially the driver…

When I played with Barney Adams, my Adams driver had about 50 grams of cotton in the head and sounded terrible… I felt bad about it… (I also bought it used)… he had sold the company, so he didn’t really care.

I think messing with swing weight can be a good thing, though!

1 Like

So fun story on this subject… I’ve been gaming my mavrik since I won it here… I like it a lot, but do t have a ton of feel with it… took a driver lesson and my pro told me to add some weight to it…

I immediately ordered two 18 gram screws. They were a week away and I was bored and had lead tape… figured I’d see what 18 grams of lead tape looked like…

I got to 11 grams on my kitchen scale and realized I had overdone things… took the 11 grams and stuck it on my driver… it became a sledge hammer… whoops.

Ordered a 6 and 8 gram screw… head comes with 14 and 2…

Played with the weights today and 4 grams feels like a ton of weight, but it feels good! I’m hitting driver significantly better (lessons helped too!)… but it’s amazing how much difference 4 grams makes!

2 Likes