Anybody use a chipper?

Long story but after playing with a random guy who was using old hickory clubs, I decided to build my own hickory set of clubs. The old timey equivalent of a chipper is a jigger and itā€™s a fun club to hit.

5 Likes

I built one years ago. It was pretty good from the rock hard bunkers at my local course. Also useful around the greens. I think I still have one of the heads somewhere. Some days I would probably be better off putting it back in the bag

2 Likes

As far as I kniw, a chipper is legal if it is not 2-sided.

Not trying to be a Golf Elitist here but (after this kind of opening a, comment contradicting the first will surely follow) have you ever seen a Good player use a Chipper?

Just Asking.

1 Like

I donā€™t think youā€™ll see a single digit with a chipper, the same as you wonā€™t see a tour pro with high lofted hybridsā€¦ that doesnā€™t mean they donā€™t have a place in someoneā€™s bag.

The putting stroke runner chip shot is something everyone should have in their bagā€¦ for me, itā€™s not worth dedicating a club spot to because I can hit it with my wedges.

If you are a 15 handicap and donā€™t have that shot, the chipper is probably more useful than a third wedge.

1 Like

No, but they can likely do the same shot with a different club, like an 8 iron. Theyā€™re not for scratch golfers, but if youā€™re someone who struggles to break 100 or 90 and has yips around the greens, they can save you 5 strokes in a round easily. Yes itā€™s a bandaid, but if you donā€™t have the time or interest to really practice, they could be one of the most valuable clubs in your bag. I think more high handicappers should have them.

3 Likes

My mom had a 2 way chipper years ago and she was deadly around the greens with that thing. Sheā€™d even use it to tee off on a 80-90 yd par 3 on occasion. Iā€™d use it on occasion when I was behind a tree and needed a left handed club to hit.

2 Likes

Be sure to let your mom know that the USGA would like to have a word with her about non-conforming clubs. :wink:
They are incredibly useful for a number of golfers. Nobody bats an eye at putters even though they are only used for one thing because you putt on every hole. High-handicappers are chipping on pretty much every hole as well though, so it makes a lot of sense for them to have a specialty club for that. Just need to get over the stigma.

4 Likes

I tried one ages ago, but then got good with my conventional clubs and realised I already had a few chippers in the bag. The good thing about them is it feels like a putt and therefore you canā€™t duff one with it, but if you ā€˜puttā€™ with a 9 iron, same thing.

2 Likes

I use my 8 iron for a bump and run as often as possible! I like a 9 and use the GW or LW when the terrain calls for it, but love the 8 iron around the greens.

3 Likes

I use my 8-iron a lot as well if there is room to run on the green. Itā€™s probably the most versatile club in my bag for that matter.

3 Likes

Itā€™s interesting, I was always playing the bump and run with a gap or pitching wedgeā€¦ Iā€™ve moved to the sieckmann chipping method and have found I get a lot more height and spinā€¦ itā€™s really opened up my options as i feel more confident with 7,8,9 in my hands for running chipsā€¦ just need to improve distance control!

I use the ā€œRule of 12ā€ chipping method for bump and runā€¦works really well for me on distance control. Basically, if I want to carry 1 unit and roll 4 unitsā€¦that is 12-4= my 8 iron.

2 Likes

Iā€™m contemplating adding one to my arsenal, just because I think it might improve my scoring while Iā€™m getting laughed atā€¦ I really need to see how often Iā€™m hitting shots where it would be usefulā€¦ Iā€™m not sure how it handles thick rough and most of my around the green shots are out of thick rough.

Iā€™m also not sure how often I play a bump and runā€¦ I think it might be a fun club to throw in the bag, though!

1 Like

Based on watching my wife use hers in different situations, close to the green and in rough may be one of the better shots suited for a chipper. Try it out!

1 Like

I love using my hybrid for chipping.

3 Likes

And if the square strike didnā€™t have that green insert that shows everyone that youā€™re using it (and canā€™t use a normal club), then I would think about it. I may get one on ebay and paint it!

1 Like

They should release a pro modelā€¦

They are also available in black.

1 Like

Right! Now I donā€™t have that excuse!