Another fun Etiquette article wish I could set up a poll

Unwritten, unnecessary Golf Etiquette
I love reading these little bits and pieces. I guess I’m ok with 5 of them 1 is a maybe and one is I don’t agree with at all. Mark your ball on the green, if it’s in eyeshot of me, I will ask you to mark it. I know, it’s stupid, but if I can see it, I want you to mark it. Those that know me do know I’m a member of Arnies Army. I just loved the guy. He wasn’t perfect but he was balls to the wall on the course. Inside, take your hat off. I won’t say anything, but hat inside is just rude. What say you? Or, do you have an additional stupid etiquette rule that’s unwritten?

I think the dress code stuff is mostly outdated. Personally, I tuck my shirt in and wear my cap frontwards. I think untucked shirts and backwards caps are kind of sloppy looking, but to each their own. Times and styles have changed. I’m more old school, but thats a losing battle.
No shoes in the clubhouse dates back to metal spikes. As long as they are clean and not tracking in mud, I don’t care if someone wears spikeless shoes inside.
One thing I’ll say about removing your hat to shake hands at the end of the round, I see this every week on the PGA - guy removes his cap, first thing he does is run his hand through his sweaty hair to fix his “hat head”, then he shakes the other guy’s hand. Gross!

1 Like

Right!!! I don’t want some guy’s sweat and hair gel on my hand either. I thought it was just me. At least the pandemic stopped this for a while.

I don’t have an issue with any of the stuff listed in the article. We let players wear jeans at our course, but then require a collared shirt…why? It’s pretty relaxed where I play and no issue with hats or shoes in the club. My father-in-law’s club is another matter. Used to be no hats or cell phones in the mens grill, but the cell phone rule has laxed. His first club many years ago didn’t allow shorts for men…caught me by surprise my first time playing there. I’m old but I don’t care too much for useless traditions.

1 Like

A etiquette question I have relates to ready golf. It takes so long out there now I do everything in my power to move things along. But sometimes I wonder where the line between ready-golf and infraction of etiquette lies. Is it wrong of me to move to my bag, holster my putter and start moving to the next tee while others are putting out? Many times I have my club in hand on the next tee when others show up from last green. Sometimes my tee shot is already struck. Is this rude? or OK? Sometimes after I hit a tee shot, I will move way to the side of the fairway into the rough and start making my way towards my ball (being careful not to distract the players hitting after me)?

1 Like

A private facility tend to have stricter/tighter rules and practice of etiquette than a public daily fee golf course.
As being private, they could impose any rules on those on it’s premise.
A local ( snobby) private golf and country club will even have all guests turn off their cell phone at the entry. So no one expecting any type of emergency calls should enter the ground of this private club.
I have witness on the public golf course of some tee shirts, jeans, hot pants, tank tops. The tank tops and the hot pants could be a little distracting, I don’t mind it at all.
Just use one’s common sense, when you’re not in your own living room, try to be a little more considerate to the others around you.
One thing which I absolutely hate, is the invasion of my sense of hearing. Like the deep base blasting in traffic, and some idiot will bring speaker box on their golf cart and blast away on the golf course. I love music, almost any kind of music in different moods and places but not on a golf course.
They could use headphone or earbuds if they must have their tune on the golf course. I don’t mind feeling the deep base shacking from the car next to mine at a stop light as long as they keep all their windows shut tight. Blast away and donate your ear drum to the sewer.

1 Like

I never shake hands b4 or after the round. I do the fist bumps. And running ure hand through the mop is absolutely gross. I still take my hat off indoors. We do change our shoes because of grass cuttings and goose shit on the course. We don’t let T shirts on the course, but they do put up with jeans. In our group, we do play honors because of Matchplay other than that it doesn’t matter. We all do pull the stick on everything but down hillers.