Another Apparel Question- Rain jackets

Anyone have a good rain jacket? The ones I look at all look like a big garbage bag sort of thing. I want something that still fits well, not a huge poncho style. I’ve also looked at running ones but they don’t feel like they are that flexible for swinging.

1 Like

Dry joy used to be my rain gear for golf. I don’t golf in the rain any longer.
One of the best rain/wind vest I received as a gift from my wife was the Cutter and Buck 1/4 zip short sleeve vest. It was $75 sales price like 30 years ago. It stayed with me through the years, easily stored in one of the larger side pockets of the bag.
No tear, not much wear to show and still looks close to new. Plenty of room for a golf swing. The only remote complain is, the material will make noise during the golf swing. The company closed all of it’s local retail locations, only accessible through factory outlet stores or online purchase now. They make quality stuff.

2 Likes

I had a DryJoys jacket forever, but they are pricey. The last 2 I bought were a Mizuno and UA on sale. Both are nice, but you need to size up for Mizuno.

3 Likes

If you want to go really high end, ie. $$$$, look at Galvin Greene.

2 Likes

That is unfortunately something I would like to avoid.

For the Mizuno, was it a sleeve length, shoulder fit, or problem somewhere else that made you need to get a bigger size?

I can wear it and the sleeve length is ok, but it doesn’t have enough room in the shoulders for me. I bought a Large and if I was 155 instead of 185 it might be ok. It’s definitely smaller than FJ and even UA. With FJ I maybe could go Medium, the UA Large is perfect (although I go XL with their shirts).

1 Like

Galway Bay stuff is great.

2 Likes

Not tried the Galway or FJ stuff. I’ve a UA Storm 3 that doesn’t get too much in the way during the swing, and is stupidly warm to boot. Plus rolls up into a clutch-sized ball inside of its hood. That and some Gore-tex rain pants + Biom 4 Hybrid waterproof shoes, and I’m GTG. The traction on the Bioms could probably be better in really marshy stuff though. Spikeless, so tradeoffs. I occasionally wear them to the office. Probably add gaiters too if it was really coming down.

Sutherland used to make decent stuff. Vaguely remember the Pebble area caddies talking about it.

2 Likes

Sunderland of Scotland, very good apparel

1 Like

Great catch, apologies for misspelling it. I like the new-to-me Cypress Point pullover from them, even if my wife thinks it looks hideous.

1 Like