Analyse Your Short Game

I googled short game calculator to try and see how good a chipper I am. I found https://www.ritson-sole.com/golf-tips/calculate-a-short-game-handicap/. Basically count all shots within 50 yards of the green divided by the number of holes you had those shots on. The scale is If your handicap is 20 or higher, you should be aiming at a short game handicap of 3.0. Between 19 and 10, you should be about 2.75. Below a 10, you should have 2.5 or better.

Since I found this I have played 5 rounds scoring between 2.44 and 2.76 (14hcp) Does your score match your handicap?

4 Likes

Have not really kept personal data like this.
My putting stroke was averaging 1.87 before the drop of rounds played from the Pandemics.
From around the green to hole out, was something between 2-3( guessing ). Never kept data from 50 yards and in.
I’d imagine would be much higher than 2.5 since 40-70 yards would be the toughest to be consistent for my game. Closer or farther would be easier for me to get closer to the cup.
I’ll need to improve on my approach shot. certainly, the G.I.R. and the placement of the approach shot would dictate the outcome.

1 Like

Neat way of thinking about it. The not counting GIR holes (unless < 50 yrds on the approach) threw me for a sec though

3 Likes

Since I started counting my short game shots I have played 15 rounds averaging 2.66 Best was 2.33 and my worst 2.91. Still too many holes where I take 4 shots from within 50m.

2 Likes