Alternate shot format

…is a true test of friendship.

2 Likes

LOL, indeed it is. I played one a couple years ago with a buddy who’s an assistant pro and very good player. He and I go back and forth taking each other’s money, but on this particular day he brought his A++ game and I brought my barely getting a degree game. I’ve never felt worse on a golf course in my life.

3 Likes

Last alternate shot tournament I played in was 9 holes alt, 9 holes BB, 9 holes scramble. Playing with another low handicapper we shot 33 in alternate and couldn’t better that in any other format. :rofl:

2 Likes

Yup. My club has 4 “Shootouts” each year and the 1st 18 holes (format varies) are to find the top 10 teams that will go to the Shootout which is true alternate shot for 9 holes. They are fun to watch, but grueling to play.

We have am Annual Club Tourney with a partner and I find it to be a blast. We play 2 man teams blind draw and it’s handicapped. My team won it 5 years ago. It is 6 holes 4-ball, 6 holes foursome, and 6 holes singles. Add em up and that’s your score. Whenever I can play in Team Events I enter. I think it’s Golf at its purest!

1 Like

I haven’t played in one in several years. Agree, it’s a fun an interesting format. IIRC, there were a lot of 3-woods off the tees to keep the ball in play for your partner - no one wanted to be That Guy who put his partner in a bad lie.

Mentally, pre-round, my partner and I stated that we would never say “I’m sorry” during the round. We also decided to try to make it a fun round, regardless of outcome. The format was a good change of pace.

1 Like