Actionable and Measurable Winter Plan

Hello folks,

I’ve really enjoyed reading all the different practice ideas on this forum. Definitely the best golf forum I’ve seen thus far. I wanted to share my thoughts on my winter practice plan in preparation for 2021 and to continue improving.

I’m currently a 3.7 hdcp and was as low as 2.0 in the middle of 2020. I’m going to set a goal of 1.0 for a result goal in 2021 and to break even par at least once in a round but I’m also going to make process related goals for this winter to prepare and have an action plan.

My setup: I live in MN but I have a SkyTrak. Unfortunately we moved in September to an older house with a smaller garage that doesn’t have space to swing freely. I’m adding a new garage/shed this summer to remedy that for next winter. My buddy has (kindly :joy:) offered to hold my Skytrak in his garage so I can go over there 2-3 days a week to practice. Then at home, I have a PuttOut putting mat and foam practice golf balls. I also have the SuperSpeed sticks.

My Plan for this winter (Jan-March):

1. SuperSpeed workouts 3 days a week (gain distance)
  2. Yoga 3 days a week (flexibility and injury prevention)
  3. Kettlebell and bodyweight program 5 days a week ( power and injury prevention)
  4. 50 putts per day on my PuttOut mat (open to ideas here to keep it fresh)
  5. 30 chips per day to marks on basement wall (10 each low, med, high trajectory)
  6. 25 slow motion swings per day in my basement ( open to ideas here as well)
  7. 2-3 Skytrak sessions per week which will include a. Full SIZE 8i swings to send the ball 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 130, 150 yds (dials in mechanics) b. 30 swings with Tour Tempo beats (10 wedge, 10 mid- irons, 10 drivers) c. 1 of 3 games for wedges to greens, irons to greens, or tee shots into fairways (see my posts on Skytrak Practice Ideas thread).
  8. Purchase David Mackenzies Mental Game Training and complete all exercises I can within my practice.

This plan feels comprehensive but I am completely open to feedback and ideas. I enjoy practicing and preparing for golf so this plan is not burdensome for me. But I’ll definitely take any ideas people have to keep things fresh and keep me focused on the process of improving vs just results.

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

My focus on stuff is things that will directly translate to improvement on the golf course… your plans all look good, just make sure you are focusing on stuff you can take to the course and not just becoming a Range Hero.

No doubt. Once the season reopens here in Minnesota I’ll do a lot more practice and prep on course like

A. Project 36
B. Play from the front tees
C. 2 ball worst ball
D. Purposefully miss the green on approach shots (works on missing in the right spot and short game)

1 Like

Awesome. Look forward to hearing about your progress.

I think your plan sounds good, but I’m not sure how to make the putting stuff more effective… mechanics are important, but only one part in the puzzle… Hard to mimic real green situations in the basement, though!

Absolutely correct on the putting. I think the benefit I’ll see is the ability to start the ball consistently on intended line. I’ll probably split the 50 putts into 25 of the Bradshaw Drill and 25 of making putts into my PuttOut.

1 Like

I would love to see your approach stats because most players get lots of practice with short game while they are trying to hit the green!

1 Like

There’s some approach data from later this summer before my GolfMetrics subscription ended. That’s about 5 rounds worth I think. I’ll be resubscribing to GolfMetrics for 2021.

2 Likes

Seems pretty similar to Arccos. Wouldn’t picking bigger targets (middle of greens) be a better approach than aiming away from greens so you can work on short-game? Decade numbers would indicate there will still be lots of misses. I feel approach SG is one of the keys to scoring because it leads to higher GIR.

Oh I see. Typically I’ll play the miss the green game specifically to work on my short game as more of a mental practice. If I can purposely miss the the green then get up and down, the confidence builds for scoring rounds.

2 Likes

tough to keep putting interesting on a 6’ mat, lmk what ya devise.

1 Like

Plan to move from MN to a place with a longer golf season. I did that 15 years ago and it has worked out.

1 Like

It’s a thought I’ve certainly had :joy:. Realistically, my wife’s family and our friends are in Minnesota so that takes priority over golf. :man_shrugging:t2:

I hear you. We lived in St Louis Park and my favorite golf courses in MN were: Chaska Town Course, Rush Creek, and Superior National up north. I was a member at LaSeur Country Club that was quite a long drive away because it was less than $300 to join for unlimited golf. My buddy asked me if I wanted to join after the second hole and I said, “Of course I do!”

I use the Drive 400 program and am very pleased.I only use the soft tissue and mobility modules so far. Just do not have a good area or time enough for the speed work, but it looks impressive. I am 63 with a left hip replacement and two knees that need replacing. I never thought I was very flexible but my chiropractor commented the other day that he was impressed with my flexibility, and I attribute that to the program. I do 30 minutes on an elliptical and 10 minutes on a rower 3 days a week, with a little bit of strength training thrown in. Just offering this as one way to get/maintain some strength and mobility as we age.

3 Likes

Drive400 is interesting for sure! $25 plan from a former major league pitcher… he seems to know his stuff.

Glad it’s working for you…