A glimpse of greatness

Two years ago I was on the practice range and suddenly my irons were going 20 yards further than average. And it was like 30 shots in a row with different clubs. I thought, “Thank you Lord, after 18 years I finally got it: the swing I knew I had in me all along.”

The next day that swing was gone and I was back to my average distances. I felt like Charlie Gordon in Flowers for Algernon.

Has this ever happened to you?

3 Likes

More than once lol. I remember years ago, at least 20, I had taken my first lessons and I was at the range practicing. I could tell I was improving, but that session I am just flushing irons long, high and dropping them on the target. I’m loving it and doing it with every iron in the bag. The assistant pro sees me and says I look great. Then he says I’d just like to see you set up with your hands a bit more ahead of the ball. That was it, I was done. I swear I didn’t flush an iron again for about 2 years lol.

2 Likes

Yikes. Pro Tip: don’t listen to pro tips when you’re flushing it

5 Likes

Ironically yes and I discovered that for that brief moment I was using the ground properly. The stuff Bradley Hughes has been putting out is a great primer if you’re not familiar.

1 Like

I had a round a few weeks ago when I thought I was laying up with a 7i from 160m to a green high up on a hill and got there landing just short and running up and then in the same round same scenario from 165m slightly uphill and made it to the front right corner of a huge green. I just put it down to hitting the exact centre of the face with my blade. Haven’t hit anything like that since.

2 Likes

Has this ever not happened to everyone! :joy:

“Golf is not a game of perfect”

But every once in a while… that myriad of complex movements that must all flow together in perfect sync … does happen! :slightly_smiling_face:

And golfers say: “Ah, see, that’s the shot that keeps you coming back”

3 Likes