8 Iron vs Driver lag...?

So, I’m a 5 hcap and have been playing 20+ yrs. Pretty much all that time I’ve been a sweeper of the ball and rarely if ever take divots.

Lesson the other day and it’s clear I’m casting a little from the top and short iron angle of attack is about horizontal! Hence short (comparatively) high irons. I’ve also been told to hit the ball harder!!

One drill I’ve been given is folded towel behind ball and try not to hit it on way down. More angle of attack, and a divot in front of ball. While I’m struggling to get the lag ‘snap’ I do understand that concept.

However, how does this then relate to my long iron and woods? I get I’m still meant to hold the lag, but the desired angle of attacks is shallower. Is this achieved from set up? Or is the swing different?

Any thoughts and drills much appreciated. I’m new to this site and really really like what I am reading !!

(And as I’m new, I have looked but if this has been asked and answered multiple times - apologies, please just point me in the right direction!)

Thank you.

2 Likes

Casting is the silent killer of speed and distance. I like the towel drill for the wedges and irons.
In regard to the woods, the easiest way to make the changes you want to make without becoming someone who hits down on them is to take your normal setup, drop your right shoulder (assuming you’re right handed - if not, drop the left), then take your normal swing. This will help you continue to hit up on the ball with the driver to maximize your carry. It doesn’t have to be drastic. Just go from level to not so level.

What’s your normal ball flight? Straight, draw, or fade?

Edit: Also, welcome!!

4 Likes

Ha… so I don’t know of any threads on this topic here (I was literally about to start one in a similar vein, but with more frustration)…

I’m in a similar situation, but with a different background. My iron play used to be the best part of my game… I was a good striker of the ball (6ish handicap, but terrible putter and horrible strategy) and my recent return to golf, I’ve completely lost all feel for the club on my swing…

I’ve been hitting high fades that don’t go anywhere with my irons because I am falling off the ball… my contact remains pretty good, but my delivery of the club into the ball has been terrible.

I’m going to start spending some time practicing what you are talking about with irons… I might have to toss in the towel drill!

I’m going with the WSB disclaimer of: This isn’t swing advice, theses are just drills I like.

1. Baseball / Step through drill… I start with my regular stance, and move my (right) lead foot back, take the club back, and step into the swing. The goal is basically to force me to transfer weight forward and make good contact. This is probably my favorite drill and usually helps me transition my weight better.

2. Working on hitting flighted shots. I’ll focus on keeping my hands in front of the club head and hitting low shots… To effectively hit down on the ball, you have to have your hands in front of the ball. This is an exaggerated version of the position I’m in on good impact…

I’m still struggling to get this feel down, though! To me, with irons it’s a much more aggressive transition because it’s a shorter “harder” swing to get down on the ball. I think of myself moving both towards the target and into the ball with my shoulder…

I think it’s a much different swing than a driver swing… driver swing to me is less into the ball and more THROUGH the ball, if that makes sense… It’s still requires a good transition, but it’s more it’s almost more fluid, since you are going through the ball and nothing else… It’s definitely a shallower path, and you want to hit the ball on the upswing…

1 Like

Thanks to you both. Hit some irons fat and thin today - I’ve decided to call that progress! Some range time ahead. Normal shot is a push draw. I’m hoping this will eventually give me a more piercing trajectory and maybe some increased iron length.

2 Likes

Good to hear… I’m going to start grinding this concept on Tuesday… should be fun!

And of course I go to the range and I’m absolutely striping the ball… finally really getting through the ball… I"m still not happy with my feel of my golf swing, but I was definitely DRIVING through the ball… made me feel a ton better.

Hope you are continually improving on it and getting a good feel…

1 Like

Good news for you!

I had a pretty good range session too. More athletic posture, lag drills (towel behind ball and some arms pump downs) and honestly just hitting it a little harder! I’ve not ‘solved golf’ or even grained this in yet but I’m starting to address current issues. Also found the tempo thread here interesting - think I was too slow. (back and down!). Very close to buying an orange whip.

1 Like