Which set of new irons should he consider?

I believe he knows all that.
Hence why he got his sons fitted for golf clubs.
Have you ever seen any parent today who will do everything for their kids instead of for themselves ? In my father’s days, maybe, hard to come by these days.

I’m in the middle of a fitting process for irons. To be honest I am a TM fan, with no real reasoning just how I ended up. I have tried a lot of GI Irons (Cobra, Mizuno, Ping, TM, Callaway) and surprisingly the Callaway Rogue ST irons have shown out as the most consistently longer and straighter. TM Stealth are close and I will make a choice after another sessions next week. So my advice really is be open minded and try as many as you can. Though after 154 full iron shots, I was pretty tired…

1 Like

Thanks.
As we (myself) have always been test drive the new golf clubs before purchasing. It will be a major purchase for golf , not just the price tag but for those who tend to keep their sets longer than a few season should take extra consideration before making decision.
His sons, like all the young men like name brands, he is a shopper.
I believe he will go the route of testing ( perhaps L/M fitting ) before his next purchase.
Testing all the major brands will be tough, at least he could try out T/M, Callaway, PXG, and Titleist on a limited base ( not the whole bag, just from the fitting cart like a 6 iron ).
I also guessing, the final price tag would be the determining factor for his selection. He is not loyal to any brands.

It does feel like a big decision. I had a two hour session and am going back for another an hour. I hope to play whatever I pick for a fair few years so no need to rush.

2 Likes

It would be a big decision for most of us.
I know a few who will change out their bag every season or two for no reason, their game is hanging around 15-18 index and honestly, I don’t see it drop much lower.
However, they can afford it and the new stick brought them happiness, if not a better game.
This friend tend to keep his golf club a long long time and he does not have multiple sets like most of us. I think he needs to justify between the proper fit and the price tag for himself. I stopped helping him hands-on, since the modern day fitting system is available in every corner of the City and he is a tech guy working in the industry, feeling comfortable and trusting the technology.
I was thinking of, if he might have missed anything he could have considered.

He’s decision is to go with the PXG. I told him to get it soon before the luster on the name brand faded.
He’ll still be okay since the company he works for will contribute about a grand for sporting equipment ( or membership to a health club ) to encourage employees to exercise.
Green fees will go up this April across the region, by 12%-20% than last year. I guess they’ll figure the golfers could afford the increase of the green fees.
(edit), I was going to say, he might be getting a new bag of fitted clubs but ended up golf less because all the green fee hikes.

1 Like

I’m a little late to the conversation, but I just came here to post my experience with a fitting for PXG 0211s and wanted to share with you in case it helps: PXG Fitting Experience: 0211 Irons, Driver, and Hybrid. I know you said your friend was leaning toward PXG anyway, but I figure positive reinforcement is always good. Ultimately, after my first fitting, I fully believe in the benefit regardless of the brand and would recommend it to anyone who has a remotely dialed-in swing.

1 Like

Thank you; he had not purchased anything just yet. I will forward your fitting experience to him.