Wedge practice at the range

I’m working on adding the low, high spin shot to my bag… it’s been going decent! I’d really like to get it down for my go to wedge shot… it’s one of my goals this winter on the simulator.

3 Likes

That is a great weapon to have … as long as you get the distance control right. Good luck with your practice!!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’d been working on it last season but didn’t get the mechanics until this season… it worked decently this week on the course but plenty of work to be done!

1 Like

Finally back to practicing this… but I’m not sure it works off of mats. I felt like the technique was decent, but I’m worried the mediocre range mats I was hitting on forced the ball up higher…

Anyone have thoughts on grass vs mats for wedge practice?

1 Like

I use mats all the time at the range and have spent a decent amount of time to dial in my wedges. IMHO, you do have to worry a bit about the bounce off the mats vs grass if you hit down on the ball but you get used to it and most of the wedge instruction these days is focused more on using the bounce anyway (as opposed to the monstrous divots I used to take).

3 Likes

Thinking about using the doormats made of “coir?” That have the bristles standing up. Not sure how they would stand up to repeated use…

2 Likes

Off season practice here in Buffalo is via domes. Allowing for range balls <> real balls and hitting off Astro Turf and everything is sub 100 yd…

I focus on the swing (rhythm, tempo) and ball positions for various shots. It’s a bit of kinestetic training to prime me for game time

3 Likes

Interestingly, I was hitting over the back of greens with my stock wedge shots… need to get them dialed in for real world distances.

1 Like

Sounds like time well spent for you. I used to go divot-diving with my wedges, but changed my approach, so to speak, two years ago. For shortish (inside 40 yards) I’ve gone more firm wristed to let ball slide up the face to pick up more friction/spin. My challenge is to body-release with quick enough, full rotation that the ball actually gets to the green. When I do it correctly, it’s a thing of beauty. When I half-ass it, I get to do the shot again…

5 Likes