Very Narrow Holes

What do you think my strategy should be on this hole? The hole measures 340 yards from the red x which is where I tee off from. Water runs down both sides of the hole. The trees in front of the tee box aren’t an issue at all since they are well below the tee box. The hole is 46 yards wide at 195 yards which is the widest part of the hole. My strategy has always been to play to this area (usually a 5i). I still hit about 1 in 4 tee shots into the water. I suspect this is close to what my true rate would be as well. My brother suggested I just hit driver because even if I hit it in the hazard there’s a good chance I’ll be dropping from further up. The second line I’ve marked is at 290 where I figure driver would be finishing and its only 39 yards between hazards. I’d reckon I’d end up hitting 50-60% of my drives into the water. The advantages are obvious - I’ll be almost 100 yards further, and if I get to hit from up there I’ll never hit it into the hazard on my second shot. The same cannot be said about hitting my second from 140 out. Though not common, I’ve hit a number of balls into the hazard on my second shot from that distance. Nevertheless I’m not sure its worth the substantially higher penalty rate off the tee.

At the end of the day, no matter what strategy I pick, I’m going to have to accept hitting a high percentage of shots into penalty situations. What would you recommend I do? How do you play similar holes that are very narrow from tee to green?

Rough math
Iron - From fairway assume you average 4.25 from 145 (making up number) 75% of the time, assume you make 5.25 if you hit in the water (same rate to get it in, add penalty shot) - expected score with iron is 4.5

Driver - 75% fairway assume you average 3.9 with a 50 yd approach shot, 25% missed fairway assuming it’s a penalty area you’d average 4.9 (same theory as above). Expected score is 4.15

1 Like

Issue is I’m hitting driver into the water way more than 25% of the time. I’d assume the driver calculation would be more like 50% fairway, 50% water = 4.4. Still slightly lower, but if it was 40% fairway, 60% water, it would be 4.5 which would be a push. Other problem with driver is if I hit it significantly off line I’m going to be dropping from further than 50 yards from the green.

What a dilemma, Change courses! Seriously I would work out which club I hit the straightest and you are confident you can keep in play. Even if pw is the only club you can hit dead straight. Whatever you have to do to avoid penalty strokes.Then play it like a par 5 3 straight short irons with 2 putts and the odd one putt for par. Maybe too conservative a strategy but no more penalty strokes.

2 Likes

It’s even narrower short of 195 yards though :frowning:

In this case, laying back doesn’t seem to give you a significant advantage. Send it.

We have a par four similar to that at my home course. Desert gazers on the left and long. Water hazard on the right. From the blue tees it’s about 265 to carry the water and you’re greeted by a bunker. 285 carry’s the bunker. Usually the wind is in your face, if it’s behind you, you’re kind of screwed because you’ll hit it through the fairway and into the desert hazard. Usually I play it 7 iron, PW, PW. Hole for a 1 putt but am happy with. Obey. Very difficult hole. And it’s the 9th or 18th depending on which 18 of the 27 holes you’re playing.

Fire away.

Seriously.

There’s a similar hole on the course we play league on. Tiny landing area that funnels downhill to water. Tall grass and houses on the right, so that’s dead. Tall grass and OB left. Also dead. It’s 240 to the water, but again downhill so a well struck 5 iron can you get you there. There’s a 9 yard wide strip of fairway that runs the right side of the water and leads to the right edge of the green where a bunker waits for you.

Tee to green is 345. It’s short, so you can just hit something like a 7 iron off the tee and be ok, but you’ll still have 150+ into what’s essentially an island green with water front, left, and back left.

Right is wide open from about 40 yards into the green.

I hit so many balls into the water short and into the dead area left (my miss) that I decided to say screw it and I’m hammering driver to that right side. It’s worked out wonderfully. 3/4 I’m green high with an easy chip and good shot at birdie. 1/4 I’m in the water with a drop about 40 out and still good chance at par. The risk/reward has been worth it as I’d had great rounds ruined with two triples and a quad on that hole this year.

I vote send it with whatever it takes to carry that water that seems to curve up the fairway…

That does not seem like a hole I would enjoy!

2 Likes

Should have clarified - I made up the average score (it wasn’t based on tour averages or anything) so you may need to reconsider the math, but the concept still applies. Also the pictures were hard to follow but seemed like if you hit driver the water wasn’t in play (could carry over it), but I did assume penalty shot with driver.

If its in a comp I’d play 6 iron then 7/8 iron removing all potential hazards.

If a weekend knock, I’d experiment until you build confidence. Also always good to have min two options so you can tackle varying conditions.

Driver carries the most visible water hazard, but there another water hazard beyond that. The red lines are between penalty hazards.