Using pressure plate data

That is pretty nifty. I guess it’s just one more tool to help put things into visual quantitative data to help work on something during practice.

1 Like

that’s pretty interesting - I know I’ve had some swaying issues in the past where I’d get stuck on my trail side in my swing. My “internal” fix seemed to be to feel like I was keeping my weight on my lead foot throughout the swing, when in reality I know there was no way that was actually happening. I wonder what you’d see if you experimented with the same feeling.

disclosure: I know nothing about pressure data!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m definitely going to start experimenting. What I’m interested in right now is this question: is the pressure data improved by working on pressure data or as a side effect of working on something else? For instance, if I work on SuperSpeed (especially the step swings), it seems that that feel should help carry over into my normal swing. Or if I work with the PlaneMate on a better pivot move, that that would help as well.

It’ll be interesting to me to see (for me) which approach produces the more promising results.

1 Like

I admire your enduring desire to be a guinea pig. Share your results on here and see what happens!

1 Like

In all honesty: I want to get better at golf. But I might want to understand golf even more than I want to get better. I’ll leave the “actually being good at golf” to my son.

3 Likes

Cool video! Interesting to see the movement between the feet. Just my mostly uninformed opinion, I don’t think you ever want to get 100% on your back foot like you had there, makes it hard to transition enough weight forward.

1 Like

So I think I’ve learned something, but I’d love some feedback from others on this.

I’ve been working on the feel of shifting my weight to my front foot. What I’ve found is this: it is orders of magnitude easier to shift to my lead foot with a slightly closed stance. It is somewhat harder to do with a square stance, and (for me) nearly impossible to do so while retaining any kind of balance with an open stance.

Can you all test this and see if you find this same thing? I’m not saying you need to have the pressure insoles. And I’m not even talking about a full swing. Take a stance, turn and load into your trail foot, and then try to move your pressure to your lead foot with difference stances. Let me know if you also experience what I’ve described.

2 Likes

I think foot alignment is a very personal thing, so not sure there are any big takeaways. I don’t love playing with a square stance it makes me feel uncomfortable, so I’m always closed a bit.

Theoretically, I think what you’re saying could make sense though. I just don’t know why!

Either way, in your experiments if you find that these small changes are giving you better results with your ball flight, then you are definitely on to something. I just wouldn’t do them for the sake of satisfying numbers on the pressure readings.

2 Likes

Good call.

This isn’t even anything I’ve tried with the insoles yet, nor even with a full swing. I just find the difference in difficult shifting weight between an open and closed stance really extreme. Just wondering if anyone else has that same experience.

1 Like

Are you saying that you are closing your back foot only? Or are you closing you’re entire stance? It seems that closing the stance of the back foot would make sense, as the amount of rotation your ankle will allow is reduced. However, I wonder how this would affect your ability to get your torso to rotate.

1 Like

Talking about the orientation of my whole stance. The more open my stance, the more difficulty I feel in moving off my trail foot on to my lead foot.

2 Likes

One of my biggest skills is transitioning my weight. I have the opposite problem… open is good for transition.

I don’t have data to back my claim, though.

1 Like

@mpatrickriley … this may have been mentioned already, but have you looked at BodiTrak?
(pressure plate swing tech/analysis)

Also, fyi, one instructor I had in the past showed me a very simple (lo tech) device (developed by another PGA pro) … and when I got home I went right into the garage and ginned one up for myself…

…the bottom…

The board is just an piece of old shelf with a 1" square dowel affixed to one side - effectively making it a “wobble” board.

You take your setup stance on it, club in hand, weight favoring the front leg … so the front side dips down … then to start the backswing you transfer weight to the back leg … so the back side dips down … and then to start the downswing you transfer weight back to the front leg … so the front of the board dips down again … and then swing down and follow through.

Really helped me to actually feel and (dare I say…) experience better weight shifts / movements going into and through the swing!

2 Likes

@Adamyounggolf, correct me if I’m wrong but pressure will vary based on post position (lead, center, trail) and Kinetic Sequence (horizontal, torque and vertical plus combinations of each), right?

1 Like