This sport cause injury!

Cam Smith, the latest golfer who recruited a few others to LIV, stated that he made the move because of his injury ( hip) which he could no longer play golf at the level he wants, hence the move to the LIV.
It’s a shame that injury comes so quickly for the younger golfers now.

BTW, kid, The LIV contract has a performance clause involved; you’d better get a very large initial payment from LIV or you won’t get anywhere close to what they promised you.

I tried to walk down a bank I shouldn’t have and slipped. I put my hand down and something (probably a rock) tore a gash in my palm. Also pulled a muscle in my ribs just under my left armpit. 2 weeks off for my hand and 3 for the muscle. I play 300+ rounds a year.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your accident on the golf course. Hope you’ll get well soon to be on the golf course.

@Dewsweeper The muscle strain was last year and hand was 3 years ago. Thank you for your concern. All is good now.

Even for a retired guy, you had been putting in a lot of rounds of golf. Most the retiree would put in about 100-120 rounds a year.
Basically, you lived on the golf course.

I’m only 48. My weekday morning rounds take 3.5 to 4hrs. My afternoon rounds playing 2 balls take 3- 3hr 20 and Sundays take 4-4.5hrs. Usually 4hrs. The course is only a 12min drive. I used finish my round and leave straight away. Or sometimes go out for a second round. Tee off at 0800 Mon, Thur and Fri so home by 1230. Tue and Wed arvo I tee off 3hrs before sunset and Sundays at 1000. So even though I play a lot of golf I still have plenty of time away the course as well. I only 'play, I don’t practice and so far this year so far I have hit 23,860 shots, 8819 being putts. My normal round is to run from my car to the first tee. Don’t take a practice swing and hopefully nail my driver. Hit a good drive more often than not.

1 Like

LOL, with the time you spent on the golf course, who’ll need to practice on the driving range?
I’m not sure I wish to golf that often in my age group. 2-3 times a week will be plenty for me at this stage.
There were times when 36 holes a day seemed not satisfying.
Working class is also at a disadvantage for one , the working schedule, on top of that, a family man with children was also tough. I had to sacrifice my sleeping time to squeeze in a round during early morning hours to spare time later with family.
On top, I’m mostly a daily fee public golf course golfer; so financially not feasible to golf a lot after I have a family. Single guy could do whatever he wants with his time and resources.

Single with no kids so no opposing pressures. 6 day membership at my private club cost Aud $2535 this year. That makes it around $8.50 a round I don’t feel like I am living the dream but others who have full time jobs tell me so. I am grateful I have been able to put myself in this position where I don’t need a job, have the spare time and am fit enough to play. And grateful to the group of people who had the foresight to buy the land and build the course back in the 1920’s. They stumped up their own money until the club was incorporated in 1957 and they bought out the investors.

2 Likes

Today I had hand surgery to correct trigger fingers. Years of arthritic inflammation finally caught up w/me but surgery was only an hour and I’ll be back playin’ in 3 weeks :). Growing old ain’t for wimps. Damn I love this game!

1 Like

Speedy recovery !

My old neighbors ( both of them passed in their 90s), used to have this motto hanging on their kitchen wall; "growing old is not for sissies ". I’m gradually starting to pay for the deeds I had done in my youth. Every ache and pain in my body could be traced back to the cause of it.
Billy Casper used to say, never give up until you are ready to. Pain and suffering are part of living, same as birth and growing old and the death.

Today on the 8th hole my playing partner was in the trees on the left side trying to hit out. I was standing further left and on the other side of the trees. It is a dogleg hole and he was hitting out way away from me. His shot hit a branch and rocketed left into my gut. Stung for a few minutes and now I have a red circle on the side of my stomach. That makes 3 people this guy has hit and he only plays once a week.

2 Likes

I’m surprised anyone golf with this guy, and not keeping enough distance from him when he stands over a golf ball.
e could be crowned as a habitual serial mishap.
I had witnessed a tee shot gone 90 degrees to the right to the next reen 90 yards away hurting an unsuspecting golfer putting on the adjacent green.
It is like hunting in open field with a crowd of newly licensed hunters.
Keep your eyes open. Expect the unexpected. New olfers like to try those heroic miracle golf shots they saw on broadcasting. But without the skill to execute the shot.

He is not that bad. 30 hcp once a week golfer. First time he finally found his ball back behind us. He predominantly hits draws and our other group player didn’t move out of the rough to stand somewhere safe and when he hit his shot at chest height it went strait for him and thinking it was going to draw he started to move and walked into it taking the shot to his chest. The other was a visitor from Canada. He started walking before the 30hcp had teed off and we didn’t notice and he too a driver to his back so both shots were the others persons fault. When I googled death by golf ball I found out most are caused by someone in your group not stray balls from other fairways. He was playing nicely yesterday he was on 25 pts after 13 when he thought about not having any pickups then wiped the next 2 holes before getting another 6 pts on the nextt 2 holes and wiping the last. His best is nearly as good as me but then his worst is very bad. But what can you expect if you play once a week and don’t practice. Also the problem with modern sets. His lowest iron is a 6i so if the lie needs an iron it is hard to hit a low shot.

Well, accidental injury happens on the Golf courses just like everywhere else.

I had an alarming day today at the driving range.
Could not finish the bucket of range balls after 37 swings. My left side was acting up from old injury and new.
I had a compound fracture on my left wrist detached left triceps about 5 years ago,
We had arctic temperature a few weeks ajo. I slipped on the sheet of black ice in the driveway. Injured both sides from several slip.

I thought I was still in my youth, so A couple of ibuprofen later, headed for the driving range.

golf balls went out on impact but, only at 60% of my normal distance.

I’ll be picking it up until I’m better. Perhaps3-5 weeks from now.

1 Like

Oh no, no ice in Adelaide unless you count a frost. Hope you make a speedy recovery

Have to be careful when your mind is convinced you’re still half the age you really are. Recently I shoveled snow, hit balls (indoors of course) and worked out. My back and the rest of my body was not happy with me the next day…and the next day lol.

1 Like