The LIV Tour --- and a Scruffy Phil ! Opinions -- agree or disagree?

Here’s my take. All of these guys are world class players. I don’t believe the camel tour golfers are battle tested any longer as there is a lot of lost incentive to play as well as possible over 54 holes, let alone 72 holes. There’s never a cut and the team aspect also discourages individuals from taking chances. In general Brooks collapsed over the stress of 72 holes. A bit of heat from Rahm and not being battle tested cost him. Phil, like Tiger in 2019 or Jack in 1986 caught some lightning in a bottle. He shot 65 on the last day. It can happen. I wasn’t surprised he made the cut. Any place, any time, these guys can go low, but Phil was out of the tournament at the start of the day and still ended up 4 shots out. Brooks came in hot. Reed was 5 shots out and that was about it. My feeling is although a few guys made the cut (look Tiger made the cut on one leg) a lot of good players didn’t, weather certainly played a factor, but the DJ, Cam Smith etc, not like they set any kind of tone. I have an issue with the guys not as players but on a personal level, I lose respect for them and don’t believe they should be able to play anywhere except their own League for now

Do you think D.J and Cam Smith did not want to show up at the Masters, but “encouraged” by Norman to do so? Cam Smith was open about his fear of facing the unwelcome scene at the Masters.
Proved that nothing happened and it was a self imposed paranoia. Maybe someone did not approve their action but certainly everyone was behaving under the green umbrella like a gentleman.
There is nothing wrong showing disapproval or resentment, it is different than hatred.
65 was not a good score at the Augusta National it was a great score, even with the weather soften greens. No one else produced the same. He buried himself on the 3rd round, nothing else.

Next week the LIV golf tour comes to Adelaide. A friend got a ball spotter volunteer position but when he read the waiver he withdrew. It was something like “we indemnify ourselves from any claims for injury even if due to our own negligence” My course is 23km away but the booking sheet next week is full with visitors and the carts are booked everyday. All people coming from across Oz for the Liv event. Good for our club

Here’s a question, which do you think was more impressive Phil tossing in a 65 on Sunday to put himself sort of in contention OR a one legged Tiger who is not playing at all tossing in a +3 performance on the crap end of the draw to make the cut? I don’t really know how any players were treated by the patrons but Reed always hears an earful. I was more taken aback by Rory and JT not making a cut. Sheffler was amazing tee to green and his putter was horrible so that was his issue. Rahm has been the best player in the world the last couple of years regardless of what OWGR has been saying. The mutineers are all good players, but I’m sorry, I don’t think it’s that EZ to turn it on and off just like that and perform high level golf in a 72 hole tournament over 4 days. The US Open will be a very tough test and we’ll see how those guys do on that stage… The Oak Hill layout is one I am very familiar with, played it often when I lived there, one of my college classmates was the GM there for years. Depending on how the set-up is… it’s gonna be a very tough PGA test too! Make no doubt, there is a huge difference between 54 and 72 holes. It’s tough to come in not battle tested…you do lose that edge.

There is difference between the 54 hole and the 72 hole tournaments, both mentally and physically.
Of course, T.W. braving out the condition to make the cut for the record of continuous cut made for the Master was more impressive. He won’t stop at matching the record, he will be out next year if he could make it at all to set a new record. It was gruesome seeing him dragging his lag through the cold and wet condition on those hilly track. He did what he aimed to do by making the cut and no need to take more punishment when he knew he will not contend for the crown.
Although shooting a 65 on Sunday is still very impressive, not many could do that any day any time, that we have to give a hand to Phil. Phil’s biggest fault is that although smart, he is largely not well educated. A guy with above I.Q. nut thinks he is Einstein. 120 is a long way, away from 160.

Doesn’t appear to be April Fools Day…

PGA Tour, LIV Golf announce plan to merge in stunning reversal…In a stunning announcement, the PGA Tour, LIV Golf and the DP World Tour have merged into a new, for-profit entity set to completely restructure the look of men’s professional golf at the highest level.

I’ve no idea what this will look like. Glad the ‘full employment for antitrust attorneys BS’ is over, and I’m very curious about the structure of the settlement.

Well, this should be very interesting as the Public Investment Fund (PIF) is shown as the Camel Tour rep. The PIF has like $50B in it’s fund and I’d love to be a fly on the wall in those talks… PIF is the bux behind all of this. It’s all about the cash, how about funneling some cash down to the club level and we can slow down the $150 rounds of golf… that would GROW THE GAME!

I just think it’s absolutely hilarious. And incredibly surprising.

To have PGA Tour players like Rory turn down the bag of bags they’d have received, trumpeting the entire time about “loyalty” “the legacy of the game”, “blood money”, and then turn around and announce you’ve cut a deal with that group?!

Guess nobody was looking forward to the discovery phase…

“Player-run organization.” Hilarious.

My opinion is I don’t like it. My opinion also remains to be seen. Jay Monahan is now the the ULTIMATE SELL-OUT! He is also the KING of Golf’s upcoming New Entity! I also said this… I never blamed the players for taking money like that. It was silly money, and the Saudi’s can just keep piling the money even higher. In my mind they made a Deal with the Devil! If you’ve ever played poker and your stack is 10x larger than your opponents stack, you are going to get crushed in the grand scheme. That was the ONLY thing that was keeping LIV alive, no one was watching, the events were like a glorified Corporate Monday Outing… I was not interested and I did try to watch it. In the end The PGA Tour couldn’t compete with the cash pile. This is a For Profit Entity… they are going to be doling out cash, players are now going to agents to negotiate contracts, you are going to see PGA Tour player UNIONIZE, there will be a CBA… Again I don’t like it. Again wanna get me on your side start subsidizing the golf courses of the everyday player… We are the ones that hold the sport up! Just my opinion

OMG, now they found a way to muscle in an nonprofit organization. Big mistake the PGA had made.
There be no gain and all lost in the merge. I lost respect for those in the driver’s seat.

There be no World expansion. No other place on Earth have the space nor the economic power to grow this sport.
It was just a way to muscle into the control seat.

1 Like

Tiger may have said no to 10 figures, but even the Tour has a price. It does make you wonder if they just couldn’t say no to that much money or if they were afraid of possibly having to open up their books. How long before they own an NFL team? That should be a lot harder, but business is business.

1 Like

No details of the merge had been disclosed to the public just yet.

Maybe, the PGA Tour is in the commanding role? The investors of the LIV probably is dunking the LIV like a hot potato, since it had nothing to show after more than a year of trying.

If PGA Tour did not have a favorable term for the merge, then this will be the requiem to the existing structure.

For one thing, I don’t believe the regular tour events could sustain higher ticket price and broadcast right.
It’ll be the beginning of the end.
Logistically, it has a lot to iron out for a non-profit organization to merge with a for profit business.

It might be too much to swallow without consequences. Plus, there will be no world market for the tour. The sports had grown to be as large as it could expand.

I’ll be very interested to listen to how the TOUR members are going to swallow this. They were the ones who stood on principle. They followed TOUR leadership who did nothing but bash LIV or in layman’s terms the PIF. Look, for those of us who lost friends or even family on 9/11, you felt good supporting these players who for all intents lead a charmed life, mastering a game we struggle with, but at least we can play, on the same venues they do (you’re not ever playing ball at Yankee stadium) and make and even the not so good players make a salary that most of us could only dream about. I watch the Golf Channel almost non stop, I’m a huge fan. I’m the OP here and my feelings on Phil and consequently the rest of the jumpers is I don’t respect you personally, but I can’t blame you either. I will still enjoy playing this game, I don’t know if I will enjoy watching it as much any longer. The game for a Touring Pro is about making money, I’ve had to swallow stuff in my workplace, so I get that part. I’ve seen people resign on principle though usually after they got another job. Other than running a pro shop, these guys have no where else to go. I mean Henrik made $30M for his entire career on the PGA Tour (worked very hard for it and I don’t begrudge it) and in 2 weeks made $54M when he joined LIV. Back in the 1960s Sam Snead played an exhibition match at our course. He got paid for that, BUT would not show up for the dinner afterwards because he wanted more appearance money to do that. So, I get it, it’s always been about money. It’s what makes the world go round. I don’t think this is over quite yet, There are a lot of people and entities that will end up with a say… I’m sure more to come as details emerge. As far as growing the game, I’ve said my piece. Take a few billion and make the game a bit more affordable and accessible. $150 a round anymore is ridiculous… I really think this move will just suck the life out of the PGA Tour, professional golf arena. So now, no matter what happens… if the merger doesn’t happen or get approved (because it has to be approved by congress) the PGA players will now jump, no reason to stand on principle.

1 Like

It is a done deal.
“quote”
PGA and LIV Merge

The PGA Tour and Saudi-backed LIV Golf announced a proposed merger yesterday, ending their rivalry on the global golfing stage.

Under the agreement, the golf-related commercial businesses and rights of LIV Golf’s main financial supporter, the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, will combine with those of the PGA Tour and the European-based DP World Tour, establishing a collectively owned, for-profit entity. The tours will continue to run independently but will have board oversight, primarily controlled by the PGA. The PIF, which will occupy a chairman position with the new entity, will provide the initial funding and have the right to invest—and refuse outside investment—in the entity.

The news comes nearly a year after LIV Golf debuted as a professional golf series, facing criticism for attempting to “sportswash” the country’s image in light of its human rights record. The merger will resolve any ongoing legal disputes and establish a process for LIV players, including stars Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson, to reapply for membership in the PGA Tour and DP World Tour after the 2023 season.

The merger awaits approval from the PGA Tour policy board and is expected to be finalized this year. See player reactions here.

“quote”

I’m not sure if this will wash the image of who really is behind the “public investment fund of Saudi Arabia”.
Changing the name of the soup while keeping all the ingredients is not going to change the taste.
It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next 3-5 years as it develops after someone got their foot in the door.
All the supposed safeguards measurement set forth today could be overcome gradually.
A white wash, a money laundering, a scheme to cover up. How would a none-profit organization mixes with for profit business? Not only just on the books but morally and principles.
Someone did not think this through.
The luster of the PGA Tour and the PGA have certainly faded for this golfer.
I’ll be just plugging along with my recreational game and forget about the noise they had created. not interested even viewing the broadcasting for the majors.
A bunch of idiots.

Norman was reported “not present” at the meeting and negotiation.
I wonder if he just keeps the title and has no real power of how to run a business now.

How much is enough? Giving up one’s principle and standard for ethic for more digits in the banks. Really worth it?
We don’t live forever, you know.
These greedy money grabber showed their true face during the extra ordinary time.
Heroes will reveal themselves during crisis. Jack Nicklaus did not waver for a reported large cum to wave the LIV flag.
Money is no good if not put to use and we could not take it with us when we leave.

Not disagreeing, but it’s likely easier for Jack and Tiger to say no to big money when they already have big money and their legacy can still make them big money. I’m not going to judge those that said yes to the money as I might have done the same. I’d like to think I wouldn’t, but no one is offering so who knows.

I used to work for a company that made components used in weapons, but also commercial products. We were constantly harped on for selling commercial products to China. We were not allowed to sell them any military/weapons related stuff of course, but other products were ok although the management discouraged us…all the while increasing our target sales #'s. Then the Saudis offered big money for our products and management took it in a heartbeat once the gov’t approved it. All internal docs referenced them as “country x” as if to hide it lol. Big money showed up and everyone jumped off their high horse. Business in business.

I’m also not sure what closing ourselves off from the Saudis, China, etc would accomplish. Could we starve them into becoming better? Probably not. It may be better to slowly embrace them and encourage change. Their govts will want to keep control, but the people may eventually push them into changing. Of course we could stand to improve quite a bit ourselves.

1 Like

You have some valid points there.
How much money is enough? Obviously most the defectors were already multi-millionaires.
What is the difference between 20 millions vs. 200 millions? How much money does one needs for a lifespan of 70/80? Maybe if lucky into the 90s?
I mean, how much food can one consume? No one can put their ass in two sports car at the same time, if there is one, I’d like to witness.

World is changing, yes, and it has always changes. I’m just one person, but I can choose where to spend my pennies.
I may not make much a difference to the rest of the world, but it’ll suit me.
We don’t need to “close ourselves” to the rest of the world but we could definitely be influential to the direction of the changes.

People use the words of survival, being compatible, leading the trend… all excuses. We can live with other better choices.
I had witness companies trying to save pennies from R&D ended up losing dollars resulting from the shortcut it was taking.
Most the CEO, CFO are paper driven, they know the numbers shown in reports are only good for the short duration but they don’t care. Because by the time the leaks became open issue, they’d be long gone with their bonus and retirement.
Haven’t we seen enough of these?
When will we learn?
Animals will perish if they don’t learn quickly, we are the only ones blindfolded ourselves.

I don’t like to get political on here, but this is political. So here goes and I’m going to be try and be truthful. What the Saudi government allowed to happen on 9/11 is unforgivable for me at this point in time. What they have allowed OPEC+ to do our country and the rest of the Western world is FREE-MARKET, I get it, but on that standpoint they could and should be better partners. I don’t care for anyone who compromised principles and jumped the PGA, so I just don’t support them, I get it, I just don’t support them. What Monahan did, in my limited view, at this time, is unforgiveable… I really don’t think the PGA was hurting, but I honestly do not know. So the PGA business leadership is down the toilet for me, but I will still root for the guys that held out. They have no choice now, they have to make a living, but I won’t support the TOUR in any way shape or form at this time. I lost relatives in Birkenau, part of my family was Jewish, there are no (ZERO) survivors from that part of my family. My wife is of German decent, I don’t hate Germans, I hate and mean hate Fascists, Nazis, and the German government during that time period. My bosses are Jewish, my golf teacher (RIP) was one of the nicest, most generous persons I ever met…he was a player on the UGA… if you don’t know what that was… it was the all black tour that was formed because people like Mr. Bishop and Mr Sifford had to ply their trades elsewhere because they weren’t allowed to play at white country clubs or play on the Tour at all… But they would certainly let you carry a drink or a golf bag!. Don’t think that doesn’t rub my rhubarb the wrong way. So the PGA Tour has alot of bones in their closets too. I don’t like the way this seems to be coming about… Some things over time can be forgiven, but NEVER FORGOTTEN! Ask the Apache, Cherokee or Dakota nations (and many more) how they feel about the US Government. I’m certain it’s not all peaches and cream! In the end, this is about the cash. If we can increase some donations to charities…I’d feel a little better, if they can help us golfers pay lower greens fees by subsidizing the game a tad, that would make me feel better too… That’s how you grow the game… not by pricing people out of it! Someone asked the question above… HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH? Great question, here is the answer… he who has the most when they die wins! Point is: for many it’s never enough!

1 Like