Strategic Errors

Don’t think it was an aim problem. It was a total choke, so nervous I rushed transition and snapped a quick hook–not my usual miss. I had started choking a bit a few holes earlier. Skulled an easy chip, shoved a 4-footer, etc. Was definitely hanging on mentally by a thread.

Good question about how I still made quad. First ball oob. Second ball a decent drive (obviously! That second guy). Laid up to 80 yards, then chunked into into the front bunker. Two to get out. Was sort of in shock to be honest, all the air came out after that first ball went OB. So definitely compounded my problems with a mental meltdown.

2 Likes

So Bryson was on the DECADE system if i am correct…did he decide against it with his new philosophy of hit it as far as he can and go from there or did he use it to gain power and distance to take advantage of the numbers the system suggested would lead to a drastic difference for him?

Decade would tell you to hit it as far as you can

• With certain conditions about space between penalty areas at various landing spots

The course where I play TNML is 27 holes. Each nine has two par 4s that just dare you to go for it. Tiny landing areas surrounded by nothing but punishment. Once every 3-4 weeks I get a wild hair and say screw it I’m going for it and it rarely if ever works out. Such a bonehead when I could pull 7 iron and have less than 150 in on each. Easy par, sometimes easy birdie.

Zero reward for going for it, but the “Let the big dog eat” comes out once in a while.

Not necessarily. All things being equal, yes you want to advance the ball as far as possible. But certain holes will definitely tell you to lay back based on the design.

To put it in a nutshell you want to hit it as far as you can with your tee shots BUT make sure you are avoiding the big trouble when it presents itself (penalty areas, trees, bunkers etc).

It’s obviously more nuanced than that, and Scott has agreed to do some Q&A on here once he’s done playing golf!

1 Like

Agreed - was just giving the general stance in response to the original question

1 Like

Aim comment was to someone else…

Honestly, it sounds like your mental game betrayed you more than the DECADE system… though it might point out a flaw in the DECADE system that you are more likely to make mistakes under pressure, and thus a change in strategy might be required.

Even after the OB, you could have one the tournament with a bogey on that hole… so the first drive didn’t put you out of the competition.

That said, I think you have to know your own game, and if you are likely to duff one due to nerves, adjust and get it into play.

1 Like

Scott can clarify but if you have 7 iron off the tee and it gets you less than 150 - he would probably say (depending on the hole) to hit about 5 iron, get it to ~100 every time and go from there.

I have also made big mistakes in tournaments that were the right strategic decision, but just bad execution. You just have to live with those results and know it’s part of the game. As I’ve said before, you are trying to stack the odds in your favor over the long run. Laying back when it’s not the right strategic play might feel safe, but it’s costing you strokes over the long run.

4 Likes

Jon,

On a scale of would you or not whats your advice on DECADE for juniors if they were your kids… I have 13 and 14 year old sons( 7th and 8th grade)…they play the KJGA here in Kansas all summer …i have gone back and forth on the DECADE system for them in my head (i read your article a while back and have watched the preview video at least 20 times)…would you for sure or maybe get your kids on it and why either way would you advise such.

absolutely! Scott’s system is simply good advice. It took me 15+ years to come to many of the same conclusions (I also learned some new things from him that I was wrong about). What the system does is essentially bypass all of the “learning pain” you have to go through a player. Why not learn it right the first time? Golf spends so much time on the swing when people are taking up the game, and it’s about time people learn how to play the game optimally from a strategic perspective when they take it up also. Overall, it’s not terribly complicated. It’s just a framework to make your decisions more simple and streamlined.

1 Like

What did you hit off 4 on Monday this week? I hit driver on the green. I also started double double double so wasn’t overly concerned with where it went. Not sure if that was the right decision or not. It definitely paid off, but may not have done.

What about 9? It was into the wind and I could only make the carry on the left side. Hit driver to the right and hit a weak pull into the bunkers. Blargh! Really not sure what’s the right play there.

Thanks Craigers. Really good points. All the mistakes were mental–including the first drive! I wasn’t truly committed to the game plan on the tee. The question I guess is should one alter the game plan in final holes of a qualifier to minimize risk of big numbers, or stick to the game plan because mathematically it produces lowest average score. Still not sure I have an answer to that. Hopefully I’ll put myself in similar situation again–not only to avoid first miss but to recognize the need to keep playing hard even when you think you’ve blown it.

Oh for sure. These holes are set up weird (it’s not my favorite track). Half of them have a creek that runs through the fairway anywhere from 185-200 off the tee. That takes the longer irons out of play for me, so a controlled 90% 7 iron to 170 or so off the tee usually puts you in perfect position.

So we were at the same tourney! I was grinding real hard, and then one big error did me in towards the end. Worst hole of the year probably :pensive: I love that course and thought it was a great challenge.

With the wind, I decided to lay back on 4. I wasn’t confident that driver would stop anywhere I wanted it to if I went left (and of course didn’t want to go in the water right). As you know the turf was essentially concrete that day so it changed some decisions dramatically. I hit 5 iron from 260 on the 15th and STILL went over the green knowing I couldn’t end up back there. Truly crazy.

9 is a classic Devereux Emmet weird bunkering, we have the same thing at my course on hole 6. I hit driver and was short of the bunker on the right, I decided to take my chances and made a par.

Question for Scott when he gets here (hugely appreciated by the way). Is it possible to have too few penalty strokes? Would too few potentially mean you’re playing too cautiously? Example hole 14 at Royal St George’s. OB just off the right edge of the green. Miss the green left and you’ve got a joke hard chip/pitch on to a green sloping away from you with OB right behind it. Coming in from 250, you’ll rarely make 4 if you miss it left. Miss it right and you’re playing the shot again and adding two. There is nowhere to aim that meets all the Decade rules. How often should you hit it OB in that situation?

6 is the par five yes? Really awkward hole. But great fun. Love your place. So much fun.

1 Like

Good idea. I will give that a try.

kudos to you Craigers

1 Like