Speed training for old guys

My father hinted to me half a century ago, that, walking is an instigate part of the game.
Of course, most the new golfers trending to cart and play the game like a video game. The game will accept them and the golf courses will definitely accept them for the $ on carts.

I do have to say, some golf courses are not designed friendly to walkers. Thus, I avoid those which do not have golf in the first priority when they designed the neighborhood. In order to squeeze in another sub-division for profit, they made the layout of the golf course as an after thought.

I’m just one person, but I have control of where my pennies go. Sometimes, I had to spend another hour on the roadway back and forth to a walking friendly golf course, but it is well worth it.

1 Like

Good advise Tom. I am 69 years old, 5 hcp and workout reasonably hard 5-6 days a week; in summer I play 4-5 times a week and walk the course. I do lots of flexibility training but despite this I am still incredibly tight but this is more a symptom of my anatomy-have a few structural issues I can’t do anything about. Did SuperSpeed training last year for 6 weeks, followed protocol exactly and swing speed increased 7mph so added 15-20 yds but developed tennis elbow on left and golfer’s elbow on right. Saw physio, tried different strength training and stretching methods to get rid of it but nothing really worked until I did the protocol from Dr. Keith Baar, which I found on a Fit for Golf podcast. It takes 10 minutes. Got relief pretty quickly and after about 6 weeks it was virtually gone. I now do it once a week and it has kept it at bay. My suggestion for speed training is go into it slowly; I would do fewer reps.

2 Likes