Should Arm-lock Putting Be Banned?

Hitting bombs and hellacious seeds…

1 Like

Putting is a separate game, said Hogan. Not sure if that’s correct, but any way you want to put is ok with me. Anchoring, croquet-style, sidesaddle, armlock, even lying on your belly and using a putter like a pool cue don’t make the job easier. Nobody has proven any method to have an advantage over just swinging a putter. Abolish all the restrictions.

2 Likes

Yep. I wish they would just regulate the length/specs of the putter and let people swing it as they please

1 Like

I’m with you on this issue.
All type of putter should be allowed, as long as it produce an acceptable golf stroke. As all swing clubs should be produced by a golf swing.
What they need to improve is not to ban the long putter, nor the armlock. The ruling body should take a closer look at why the long putter or the arm lock are thought after ?
The modern day tournament putting surface is slick and smooth. Like playing on a billiard table. The golfer only need to send the golf ball on the line, more with a push than a golf stroke.
I’d bet the long putters and the arm-locks will not be as successful if they were used on the putting surface in the 50’s to maybe the early 70’s.
More feel will be required to putt well, on those surfaces.
We had come to expect a smooth and fast putting surface in all major tournaments and most of the USGA sanctioned events. Can’t remember when the trend started, perhaps the U.S. Open or the Masters.

Over last week’s viewing on golf channel, I can’t help but notice a few of the golfers using the long/ arm lock putter in a questionable way.
They basically pushed the anchoring hand away from their chest an inch or so and "push " the golf ball with a “broom” sweeping motion.

I’m not trying to start a debate as the ruling body had not stepped in to ban such practice. Perhaps the ruling body deemed this putting method will not have an overwhelming advantage over the field.
Going back to my point, change the putting surface from billiard table top to what it’s like on any public golf venue. Which will require a real stroke to move the golf ball… issue solved.

This isn’t questionable, it complies with the Rule, as long as that top hand isn’t touching the body. You can see for yourself in Diagram 10.1b in the RoG.

1 Like

Thank you Dave ? For reminding me of the rules.
As I said, the ruling body allowed for this because it does not show an overwhelming advantage to the field. I guess the wise ones knew if remove the anchoring of the top hand would minimize most of the advantages. However, not entirely
I had seen these golfers miss a 6’-8’ putt with the method they implied.

Yeah, I think if this was a better way to putt for everyone, everyone would be doing it. But I think the decision on where to draw this particular “line” was made based on the concept of “anchoring”. They’ve defined anchoring as having part of the club (or a hand holding the club) held against the torso, which is a logical spot. You can still anchor against your forearm and be within the rules. They could have chosen to draw the line at a player’s wrist, for example, so that the club couldn’t touch any part of the player other than his hands. I know some people who believe that’s how the rule should be written. Making rules is tough, even with a logical concept, the “line” drawn ends up being somewhat arbitrary.

2 Likes

Making rules and uphold it is certainly tough.
Especially everyone who think they’re smarter will try to attack the tradition or the icon. Just ask the Royal and Ancient .
USGA is no exception, like being the head of a household and a parent , have to deal with the rebellious teens.
It has proven that rules could be changed but, not over night. Since they do not want to fall into a trap of flip-flop over night deal.
It is good to have rules which everyone will follow. This is why this game is attractive for many of us.
Complain ? Always will have that and it is healthy to have opinions. Some will be taken ( after years of evidence for the need to change ). But in the meantime, everyone will have the same rule applied to them, so the playing field is on even ground.
As for anchoring on the arm or the wrist ? It’s quite different to anchor against the core or other parts which are attached to the core.
The ones still use the arm lock or wrist lock have other issue than the Yips; mostly between the ears. If that could give them that little bit more confidence, enjoy it.
There is a nerve twitch resulted from years of being pounded by the vibration traveled up the shaft from impacting the turf and the golf balls. That is totally another matter. Damage to the spinal core is not easily healed or fixed.

1 Like

Putting isn’t perfectable, so any style is fine with me. I might draw the line at lying down on the green and using the putter like a pool cue. The disputes over sidesaddle, anchoring, and croquet are too silly for serious golfers to worry about.

1 Like