"Shanking" drives left?

Quite a few books written about the man, of his reserved attitude and only the inner circle of his friends knew the real person.
Yes, his right shoulder was moving swiftly. It was pulled by the left shoulders, and the arms had to stay in position, as he demonstrated in the video.
Many argued, guessing which side of his body was more dominating during the golf swing. I could imagine it was both. For his smaller physical frame, he was one of the longer driver on the professional tour at the time, he must have used all of his resources to generate such power.
My wife was not able to touch her golf clubs for a few weeks, she was eager to jump back into her normal routine at the driving range on Monday. Frustrated because she hit a lot of misses. I watched for a few minutes then quietly asked her to keep her elbows closer to her hips ( in front) at all times except for the top and the release.
Improvement happened almost immediately, if I close my eyes, I could hear the crisp sound of the club face meting the range ball.
Less effort and better result. By keeping the elbows in position allowing the acceleration from the top much easier.
If the elbows were out of position, it’ll be almost impossible to accelerate through the golf ball.
When asked how to gain more distance, the man answered, accelerate through the golf ball.
Ben Hogan had been exhibiting his “secret” all along. In his two books, in many of the interviews and published articles in the Newspaper and magazines.
We just refused to believe it was that simple, and we don’t like the truth of the dedication and effort needed to be anywhere close to perfection.
One of my past client and good friend was the head of his division at a local company before he retired. He told me a story of his experience at his company golf outing.
As expected, not many participants were golfers, most of them were there to attend a company sponsored event and to have a chance to meet the management personnel in a relaxed atmosphere.
On the driving range, there were the thump, click and other noise from the missed hits. Suddenly they all heard the loud clear sound of well struck golf shots. Everyone was looking to see who that was.
It was a newly hired young lady, who used to be on her college golf team.

1 Like

I’m an older but pretty decent golfer. I use contact tape on the face of my clubs (foot powder will do the same) to see where I am hitting it. I pride myself of my contact area being very consistent. Not a dime size spot but more like a big nickel right where it should be.
So, a couple weeks ago, I did the same thing as you describe. It was shocking, even more than a 45 degree shank with an iron. A later hole, oops, did it again! Yes, the impact was off off the extreme inside of my Ping G-425 driver.
A very good golfer (player #2-3 on a major college team) said I was standing up on my shots. Now, I’ve been working on hitting up on the ball to gain a little more launch angle and carry, What I was doing was helping by what is commonly called in teaching circles “early extension”. I was also hitting weak fades with my short irons-a wipe a Johnny MiIller used to call it. These two actions are first cousins of each other

3 Likes