Pre-round Warm-up

Much more complete than my warmup. Only 1 cup of coffee though? I gotta get than 2nd cup in!

4 Likes

2 cups of Joe would get things racing for me and I hate decaf. I mean, the hot shower helps, I eat something anyways. I always get my stuff ready the nite b4 anyway. The course is 20 minute ride, My entire warmup is so engrained, especially at home, it takes maybe 45 minutes. Although we all have jumped from the car onto the tee, I highly don’t recommend that.

1 Like

Takes 2-3 cups of joe for me, but caffeine doesn’t seem to bother me. I can have an espresso at 11pm and be asleep at 11:15 lol.

I’ve become a fan of the Scottish shower. Start off hot and then finish cold. It’s a bit rough in the winter, but it does really wake me up. I’m not a morning person and need the cold shock and 2-3 cups of black coffee.

3 Likes

I’ve transitioned all my caffeine intake to tea… it’s been interesting. Apparently it has theanine (?) in it, which basically slows down the impact of tea… I’m 48 ounces in right now and not bouncing off the walls, for instance.

Scottish shower is probably a great way to wake up, but I enjoy enjoying my showers!

2 Likes

I always start my pre round routine with the Orange Whip. It stays in my bag. Slow at first then full swings as everything loosens up. Main advantage is the follow through is more complete and loosens up those muscles so that I finish my swing. If I don’t get to hit range balls before (I always do if i can) The Orange Whip loosens me up well.

On the range: 9 iron, 7 iron, hybrid, driver, 56 wedge from 10 - 70 yards, chipping green, then putting. After that the fun begins!

1 Like

I’ve reduced my coffee intake and swapped for tea. In the winter I prefer hot beverages as my work and home office are both on the cool side. I have been drinking 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning and then 3 cups of green tea along with water. Not sure it has made a difference for me as opposed to my drinking 4-6 cups of coffee, but I have heard it’s healthier. I stopped using sweeteners and milk years ago. If I drink calories it’s beer and wine lol.

I read about the cold shower for waking up and mood boosting and it really does seem to work for me. I go 2-3 minutes of cold, but in the summer I may do the whole shower cold.

2 Likes

4 cup a day, jittery caffeine abuser here

3 Likes

One other thing. If I were warming up prior to a club event, after warm up (above) I’d hit 3-4 balls each with three or four clubs to get a sense of the shot shape du jour. I’d allow for whatever the tendencies showed.

2 Likes

I love a good, properly brewed coffee and used to take a flask to the course to get me a good couple of cups (plus I buy better coffee than my club does). Figured out after a while that the immediate impact of caffeine threw me off for at least two holes. Really messed up my swing. Bizarre. That said, I can’t have caffeine past about 11.30am otherwise it affects my sleep that same night…

3 Likes

So I’m Scottish and never heard of the Scottish shower, but it kinda makes sense and appeals to me in a money saving way. Who said we were tight LOL

So I’ve been trying it this weekend. Because how can I call myself Scottish if I don’t shower properly?! WOW what a smack in the face of a wake up! Only managing about 10s, not 2-3mins; @Kevomanc you are hard core!

2 Likes

It took a while to endure more than 30 seconds lol. It’s refreshing in August but difficult in the winter. I started doing it over a year ago but only recently heard it referred to as a Scottish shower.

2 Likes

Just had to re-light the pilot of my water heater… hard pass on cold showers… I basically soaped myself, washed off and left.

Great way to save money. Terrible way to start a day. (For me)

4 Likes

Quick update for you sir; 4 months of daily Scottish showers later and I am hooked. Amazing how the initial impact of the cold water doesn’t suck the breath out of me any longer.

Great recommendation, thank you :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Glad you are enjoying them! They are a bit less refreshing in the winter but they do wake you up.

1 Like

Good to know. I may have to try that for my post-round routine.

1 Like

Just checking in with you sir. I’m still going strong with the cold showers. Great way to start the day. Temp here has dropped to around zero (32F) and the water temp is noticeably much cooler than the summer. It’s getting fresh!

1 Like

Yes I still like it as it wakes me up. Definitely more of a shock this time of year.

The Ehlert cites at PubMed, led me down a most enjoyable rabbit hole of improving golf and other athletic activity through physical fitness training. Thanks for the cite.

I don’t do static stretching by itself, but I find that my recovery time and pain/fatigue from practice are both lessened if I first take the time before the session to adequately warm up then stretch. There are a lot of muscles in the legs and lower back, and I will find each one of them the next day if I don’t warm up. Especially my left hip area.

I’ve never been flexible, even when running track in high school. We stretched a lot, but I could get by without doing it. Things change when you get over 30, and really change as I approach 50. It’s not possible for me to play at the level I want, without first getting warmed up and making sure I’m flexible through my needed range of motion. Nevermind that I also really don’t want an injury now, and that spectre is a lot more familiar at 50, than it was at 17.

Next time, I’ll try the “Penick’s 24 balls” method mentioned upthread. Most of my time, after I’ve warmed up, is spent trying to get a feel for green speed and bounce. Short pitches/chips to spots and see how far they run. Uphill and downhill lags. A couple of made 3 footers in a row, and it’s time to play!

3 Likes

So I’m in Scotland now for the weekend visiting my folks. I have to say the cold showers here are on another level! Like so cold it feels like burning :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Maybe well water? We’re on a well and there is water in the tank cold and from the well cold lol.

1 Like