On the course practice

And recovery shots, which is one of the most under-practiced areas for ams, but we need it more than the pros.

4 Likes

I just posted this to another section of the Practice part of the Forum but I thought it might be useful here also:

I find a good way of practicing is to ā€˜scoreā€™ the shots where Iā€™ve done everything I planned to do correctly, i.e. Iā€™ve followed my pre-shot routine without being distracted, Iā€™ve picked my target and stuck to it, Iā€™ve committed fully to the shot I want to hit and Iā€™ve struck the ball as I wanted to.

If all these are all a ā€˜Yesā€™ then I count that as a ā€˜Good Shotā€™, no matter where the ball actually ended up. This means you are concentrating on the process and not the outcome, which I find helps if youā€™re trying to improve.

You can set your own criteria for what counts as a ā€˜Good Shotā€™, and even have a different list for putting if thatā€™s an area you want to work on, but you should only have one set of criteria for every other shot - you donā€™t have a ā€˜Good Driveā€™ and a ā€˜Good Ironā€™ and a ā€˜Good Wedgeā€™ - thatā€™s too much variation and too much to think about.

At the end of the round I count up how many ā€˜Good Shotsā€™ I hit and itā€™s probably about 12 - 18 the first time you try it but it gets better the more you do it and I find this also improves my scoring game when I go back to it because Iā€™m not so fixated on the actual score but whether Iā€™m following my process - the results start to look after themselves.

Hope this helps

4 Likes

I think two ball, worst ball is becoming my favorite on course practice when I play by myself. Keeps me fully engaged and I think itā€™s really helping develop skills.

4 Likes

I used to play at 6,700. It is now too much course for me. Current course is at 6,400. Itā€™s doable, but leaves lots of room for angst. At the end of 2020 season I played on 5,900 course. It was one of the most enjoyable rounds Iā€™d played in several years. After the round, I ā€œjokedā€ to my companions that theyā€™ll never see me on a 6,000 yard course again. It may not be a joke as I get olderā€¦

4 Likes

Play the tees that are the most funā€¦ I can play my home course from the blacks, but itā€™s a slog for meā€¦ it also takes most risk reward out of play as I canā€™t cut as many corners and will be a long way home on all the par fives.

Played with an older gentleman today, very nice, but an old school marineā€¦ he had taken 32 years off and figured out he had more fun playing the front tees than he did the ā€œregularā€ teesā€¦ so thatā€™s what he plays.

2 Likes