No battle plan!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes.
I was shooting pretty consistent in the high 70s one year ago playing and practicing pretty regular 3 times a week. But my swing began to collapse and I had to practically stop playing for a while.
Now my swing is back and this summer I only broke 80 once. Iā€™m hitting the ball even better than I was one year ago. Iā€™m striping it on the range, but now Iā€™m having trouble doing it on the course.
Any thoughts on what courses of action to take? All parts of my game are solid in practice, but my irons are pathetic on the course putting a ton of pressure on my putting.

2 Likes

Going through the other threads in this section will definitely give some solid tips, but just to repeat the cliche advice, I think you really have to try to forget about the score and take things one swing at a time. Focus on the shot in front of you, not the next one or the last one.

2 Likes

From what I have read when you are at the range you should visualize a course you know, and play it on the range.Hit a driver, hit a 7i, hit a chip etc then play the 2nd hole till you have played 18 holes. i think they call it variable practice. The problem with the range is that range shots have no consequence as if you hit a less than perfect shot you just hit another one.

1 Like

Take a look at

Email him and see his recommendation. I think thereā€™s currently 33% off pre Christmas sale.
1 Like

My advice is to stop going to the range and save all your good shots for the course! :joy:

What is your mindset when on the range, and what is it on the course? Are you hitting it towards your target? are you picking good targets?

5 Likes

I think your title is your answerā€¦ make a battle plan.

Think about the shots you are going to hit, aim for the center of the green and then 2 putt.

If you are at 30% gir, that will get you through six holes.

Look at the other 12 and figure out where you are giving up strokesā€¦ missed fairways? Missed greens? Three putts? Target your biggest weakness and have a plan on how to improve itā€¦ sometimes itā€™s just figuring out where you are costing yourself strokes!

3 Likes

ā€œMY SWING FEELS LIKE AN UNFOLDING LAWN CHAIRā€

Pre swing routineā€¦ pick a target, commit to it, aggressive assertive swing

Try and establish a nice consistent rhythm in terms of stepping up to the ball, waggles and then trigger

Less is more

3 Likes

You clearly have good technical skills ā€¦ maybe look at further developing your mental game skills (as others have mentioned)ā€¦

Many good resources out there - one that Iā€™ve gotten a LOT of value from and can highly recommend isā€¦

David Makenzie
Golf State Of Mind
golfstateofmind.com

Lots of great blog articles on his site ā€¦ good place to start!

2 Likes

I firmly believe that you have to play golf to get better. On the range youā€™re hitting full shots (mostly) from a flat lie. How often do you get full shots from a flat lie on the golf course?

Now that youā€™ve rebuilt your game on the range you need to play and remember how to get the ball in the hole. Iā€™d use the range only for tune-ups at this point and spend your time playing. Go out and play 9 holes by yourself, if you can, and treat it as practice. Donā€™t worry about score. If you hit a bad shot, drop another ball and try that shot again as long as youā€™re not holding up play.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve gotten a huge amount out of the GSOM stuff; general approach to a strategy, pre round prep, pre shot routine and putting.

1 Like

Oh yeah plus that its all quite non-technical and ā€œaccessibleā€! This Winter Iā€™m going to be spending more time going through the GSOM materials ā€¦ thereā€™s a lot there and it takes a while for it all to permeate into this thick skull :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thatā€™s just it, there is sooo much material. Great value. I have the Ultimate Golf State of Mind mental system plus the putting module

1 Like