Missing greens short

Very nice discussion here!

I agree that understanding your personal distance control is a huge skill to obtain. I think we overuse the “ego” excuse but maybe I’m wrong. I have based my distance charts off specific testing I’ve done on-course along with several weeks of continual data collection (I don’t have Arcos). I’m a plus handicap and a decent ball striker, however I have often used flawed logic in club selection. I have always taken my data and found an “average” distance to consider my stock yardage. But my consistent missed green is short (or left due to my hook tendency).

The thing we all tend to forget is the majority of ways to mis-hit a ball for a decent golfer will end up with a shorter result. It seems much more rare to end up with a result too long, especially as you get to the longer irons. But we also tend to remember those few long missed shots more because they hurt more. Skull a 9 over the green and you’ve got a 40 yard lob shot from the back rough that doesn’t see a mower quite as often. Or maybe there are trees, hills, etc guarding the next tee box from your errant ball.

Decade is amazing and well worth an investment. One of the facets Scott mentions several times is to be careful when it comes to generalizing your aim based on quadrants on the green. This works well for small greens but can leave you hating your putter on larger greens.

3 Likes

I believe for most golfers that’s the crux of the issue. That’s why shot tracking can help because if you really do see that you’re missing most greens short than the solution to the problem fairly obvious. As your ball striking skill increases it probably will become less of an issue but even at scratch level it’s rare you see golfers consistently air mailing greens.

3 Likes

No study here, just anecdotal evidence. I’ve begun using a strategy found here (and I can’t for the life of me locate the thread!) where club selection is based on distance to the back of the green. The theory is that we mis-hit more often than we pure it, and those mis-hits will be on the green as opposed to short.

I’m making better, more consistent contact and am finding I hit more shots to the expected yardage or beyond. I’m taking relaxed, confident swings knowing I’ve got plenty of club instead of trying to ensure I max out the more lofted club.

Again, no hard data - but the effect seems to be real for me.

1 Like

This is interesting because I recently played with one of the best golfers at my club and he says he NEVER takes a club for the back of the green. He pointed out (which I already knew) that there is not one hole at our club where going long is a good miss…there are at least 6 holes where it will put you OB. He felt it was too big a risk to pick a club for more than the center and the best miss is short on pretty much any hole at our club. He said he most often picks a club for the front of the green…of course I don’t have his consistency or short game, but I do agree with NOT using the back of the green yardage as I’ve gone OB more than a few times clubbing up.

4 Likes

This set up is similar to my home course. I’ve actually modified @jon’s approach and am clubbing up to the next zone. If the pin is front I play to the middle; middle, play to the back.

You’re right @Kevomanc - you should never select a club that brings real trouble into play!

As I become more confident in the strike I’ll perhaps dial this back somewhat, but for now I’m making cleaner contact and hitting a few more greens.

4 Likes

I think this comes down to knowing your dispersion… I think the advice of picking the back distance is based around golfers who one time hit a 7 iron 180 yards and so if it’s 180 yards to the pin, they hit 7 iron…

If you know your dispersion and know you’ll never hit a 7 iron MORE than 180 yards, it makes sense to hit it on a 170 yard shot with penalties at 185.

6 Likes

I’m 100% with you Craigers but with a slight personal difference / nuance.

I feel for the majority of approaches, i have two clubs I can use and the types of mishits vary a little. Say I’m 160yds, and my average 8 iron is 155 and my 7 iron is 168yds. I feel pretty confident getting a little oomph on an 8 iron to go 160 or taking a little off my 7 iron to get down to 160yds, and more or less, a well struck shot the dispersions are going to be similar. My mishits, though are different. That hard 8 I’ll sometimes pull or thin, and the light 7 i might under-cook or leave out to the right. It’s also a little situational such that if i’m under stress or excited, that easy 7 might be hard for me get right or if I’m having slight contact problems, the margin for error on the light 7 might be better.

So I guess the TL;DR for me is that i’m more and more of a two dispersion guy (a well struck shot and a likely mishit), and I use that as another factor in deciding the right club, and I try use the #decade stuff as “this is my initial target” (as opposed to the flag), and then if there is a significant variation of outcomes from my typical mishit, take that into account.

2 Likes

The way I read this is that I’m not surprised one of the better golfers at your club ‘clubs’ to front rather than go over. He may be more likely to flush one over the green where I, and possibly you, won’t. I agree with him that shots that go over the green are often in ‘there be Dragons’ territory. Once my swing “tweaks” become effective, I may club to center of green , but not yet. Interesting how different players, sometimes of different skill levels, have different targets. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Yes it may be different for me because I’m more honest with myself about my yardages. Can I hit 9i 150? Sure but that’s the rare jumper; I use 7 or 8 depending on how I’m swinging and the weather…heck I’ll use 6 if I think I need to.

5 Likes

Here is an exercise for everyone on this thread (must have prgr or swingcaddie or access to launch monitor)

Go hit 20 balls with a 7 iron and note the carry distance

Try and note the “flushed” shots so you have an idea of what a great strike is

Throw out your worst 5 shots and compare your AVERAGE of those 15 to the FLUSHED

Also note how many shots are within 5 yards of FLUSH

you are shooting a shotgun… just pick the club that puts the best pattern on the green

Tommy fleetwood did an interview with the me and my golf guys talking about yardage control and he has 2 swings in the low irons plus he will grip down for a 3rd option…this gives him 5 yard gaps in the low irons… 6 iron and up he is hitting stock into middle of the green

You are not a pro! You can’t move your shot pattern center by 5 yards

Make a stock swing and put the best shotgun pattern you can on the target

Big mental benefits to doing this in addition to the math/strategy benefits you get

8 Likes

My home club is this way. I am right at 60% GIR, but almost 25% of those misses are short and it has nothing to do with my ego. Long is death on all but 3 greens, and by death I mean 5 yards over and you have a hard time making bogey. So while I don’t play for the back of the greens I always know where the max yardage is and pull my club off that.

5 Likes

That’s a great … and key … point.

As a higher handicapper I “know” I should not be attempting in-between/off-speed iron shots (wedges, after years of A LOT of practice, I can … kinda…); that is - my best result is analyzing where the best miss is and then go ahead and put a full swing on the club.

1 Like

Yes. It has taken me a long time to accept this.

I pretty much play one swing 9 iron and up. If it gets windy, i may have some extra focus on “smooth tempo” but i am not trying to alter swing length or cut off a finish

1 Like