Measuring Wedge Swing Length

During this offseason, I’m working on partial wedges. I’m looking for the best way to measure and practice swing length. I generally think in terms of the height of my top hand: belly button, base of sternum, base of neck, etc. But I don’t have a good way to ensure the consistency of these “feels” over time. Ideas?

deWiz ($699) has a device that measures this. I’m assuming this is the best, but is there a cheaper way?

Anyone have experience with the deWiz device?

1 Like

A topic near and dear to my heart! Do you have access to a simulator or something that measures clubhead speed?

Ultimately, you are looking to deliver the club at the same speed and using the length to vary that speed… so if you can find a way to dial in what 60 mph feels like (vs what a half swing or a 3 o’clock swing feels like) you’d be good to go…

At least, that’s my plan for the off-season!

1 Like

To me, when you’re on the course you’ll need to feel the correct length of swing without artificial aid. There are two ways of doing this, I suppose. One is to practice making feel like a specific lengths of swing (half, 3/4, whatever), and determining how far you hit each one. It doesn’t matter how far back you’re really going, what matters is that you can consistently reproduce that half swing, or 3/4 swing, or whatever.
The other method is to use a device that measures swing length and train yourself to make a specific length swing (the machine tells me that a “half swing” feels like THIS), and determine how far that specific swing goes.
Others will know more about which method produces the most consistent results, but my opinion is that you’re better off using your natural feel and determining distances for specific partial swings. Adding the additional step to the process, using a device to train your feel for a partial swing, seems more likely to produce inconsistency. Perhaps being able to dedicate a LOT of practice time would change that, but most of us don’t have unlimited time to do this.

1 Like

Yeah, I think this can be problematic… but I think the feedback portion is important, especially as you are learning it and your results from the strike aren’t consistent with the speed… I THINK if you can track club head speed and then work from feel, you can deliver the club more consistently.

it’s something I’m planning on working on this winter, so we will see… my goal will be swing speed consistency basically above anything else.

Wow…that’s a different question, How do you think a guy with a swing like Rahmbo answers that? I do utilize a tool that measures clubhead speed & distance. I drill at differing tempos (like -10%–0--+10%) no more than that as I might as well use a different club, and up to a 2 inch choke down. I’m just not that good, even after 35+ years of the 3/4 swing per se…only because I know actual swing speed starts to generate from about 9-to 6.25 (impact)-to 3 if you hold your angles correctly. I learned to flight differing wedges depending on course variables by maneuvering the ball in my stance hence maneuvering the clubhead delivery angle, and when I was at the top of my game I was pretty good, but it is something you just have to beat your brains in off of the ground…NOT A MAT! My best guess is you will have to hit alot of balls and track everything to find the “feeling and swing you are searching for”. Unless you are a wealthy person, I wouldn’t invest into any type of machine…this one is literally dug up out of the dirt!

Could not agree more, very well stated @davep043. The key is consistent; this is Practical Golf! Those self-defined 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 feels will hold up better under tournament pressure.
One of the best wedge routines I ever received was to hit 10 1/2 wedges without looking where they land. Then measure avg. Repeat for 1/3, 2/3 etc. Four wedges=12 distances, if you want to get fancy try 3 traj each noting rollout.
A word about expectations: up and down from 30 yards even for pros is a fifty-fifty proposition at best. Get putter in hand in one.