Letting Go of the Club - Larger Grips?

I used to go by swingweight and still do at times, but you have to be careful as you can “cheat” it. By adding a 3-4g backweight like you did you reduced the swingweight 1 point, but you really didn’t change the MOI so you “cheated” swingweight a bit. In your case I don’t think it matters as 3g under the grip doesn’t affect the MOI nor does it add much to the total weight.

I go by MOI now, but I also watch the total static weight. I find I can use a lighter shaft and add some head weight to match the MOI, but then I may still struggle as the club is just too light overall. I think that’s what happened when I got new irons. I though the shafts were only 5g lighter, but they were about 10g less. The iron head weights were maybe only 2g lighter, but then I didn’t use any back weights and each club ended up a good 20-25g lighter. That’s only about 5% less in total, but apparently it bothered me. I’m not going quite as heavy as my old set, but they will be within 10g. If that doesn’t work I’ll swap the heavier shafts from my old set.

1 Like

I’ve let my partners swing my clubs and they said they all feel the same but are heavy for them. The X100 shafts for me are 5 grams lighter than my s300’s, but are less susceptible to twisting. My friends also said all my clubs feel exactly the same, which is what you kinda strive for. I can feel the difference for certain, the jumbo grips are 3 grams heavier than a standard grip so hence the D-4 weight from D-6, just the X100 shaft is pretty awesome. I tried them out at Dick’s swing room. Even though they say they are exactly the same weight of 130 grams, My s300 were 133-135 grams. But I put those on 10 years ago. The x100 definitely give me more control especially with long irons, I generate ample swing speed to hit them, but when struck well, the X100 does not move off the target at all. My issue is when you poorly strike the ball it does go no where—straight but short— as opposed to my s300 you would still get compression but the ball, for me, would go RIGHT! Usually RIGHT into the pond or woods. The x100’s don’t move that far off line. I want to explain one thing… the new x100 shafts/club weight were at a D2 before I did my regripping. I gave my old S300 shafts to my club repair guy to offset the cost of the new X100s 18 months ago. I prefer to balance the weight at the top of the shafts, my club heads are exactly how I want them.

2 Likes

Do you have your own SW scale? I’d thought about getting one, but the cheapest I’ve seen is still >$100, which is a bit for me, for a personal-use, niche tool.

I still need to get off my duff, take a roll of lead tape with me to the range (or LM/Divot Board), and see if I like adding weight or not. Then, once that’s dialed in, if at all, taking those good clubs to a local golf shop/builder, and getting the clubs’ full specs.

I’m going to be reshafting soon with graphite (LA Golf’s L-series in S-flex. Which I’ve heard, and golfshaftprofiles seems to think, is more like an X. In ~120-ish gram weight.) Just can’t do the steel shaft thing anymore with my elbows. Though the Theraband work helps tremendously.

Anywho, I want to get an idea of target weights/SW so I can try to dial stuff in with tip weights instead of going whole hog with lead tape.

This is the one I have from the old days… (really old) it’s a Golf Smith. I got for free when the pro upgraded to a new one.

You can probably get a new one for around $115, maybe E-Bay might have one cheaper.

I am ok with the x100s for now, in the next couple of years as age impacts all of us… I could see myself giving in to the C weights like many ladies are. I’m doing what I can for as long as I can with what I have in the old body, It’s hard to give up on yourself, but if minor technical adjustments can improve the distance why not? I’m still hitting a PW (46*) club 120y under normal conditions. Last Saturday I hit one over a back pin from 127y by 12 yds… wasn’t a happy camper!

1 Like

Nice! Sounds like how I have a lot of my kitchen equipment… They’re not that useful…until you really need them. And then they are, LOL.

1 Like

Useful only when you need it, then it just collects dust… I only use now when I’m regripping which is once a year

You may be able to find a used one on eBay for less. I still have an old Golfsmith SW scale, but I rarely use it. There are calculators (some Excel based) that you can plug in head, shaft and grip weight along with club length to get swingweight. If you can’t find one lmk and I can e-mail you one that has swingweight and MOI. It gets a bit technical with shaft balance point and more, but it doesn’t take up any space on your workbench.

2 Likes

Swing weight is a reference to get to where we like the golf club to feel like. It is an explanation of the direction but not the ultimate route.

The only thing I have against focusing the swing weight numbers is the change of total static weight. A few grams of weight should not change the total weight by much, then again, should not matter that much for the scale either.
I know a fitter for many years, he has been through the 80s into the modern age. From swing weight scale to trackman launch monitor. His bag is a collection of all different spec one could imagine. I mean the lofts, the length and the weight are not staggered like we normally would see. He is a 2 index holder ( I suspect he is much better if he really tried, but golfing with a bunch of retired guys, he might not wish to beat us up by too much). I asked him, how the hell could he play that bag so well? Would he be a better golfer if he really dial in on a set of golf clubs?
He told me, don’t mess with his bag, it took him decade to tune it to what they are today. All the irons in the bag, with specs scattered, he knows exactly how far he could fly each one of the irons and could change trajectory as he wish. He showed us that his 7 iron is about the same length as the 9 iron. Traditionally with the 1/2" gap between each iron, there should be 1" difference in length between the 7 iron and the 9 iron. Those two in his bag were just about 1/2" apart ( with different type of iron heads from different manufacturer).
I guess, it makes sense when we read the story of the great golfers starting their golf with a mixed bag of golf clubs but they figured out how far each club will fly.
The numbers and the measurements are great. The data will cut short the chase but, never over-sight on the final task. Which is to know how to use each club and what we could do with them.
Modern fitting seemed to focused on the numbers and the measurements. That’s half the formula.
We forgot, the human body will change from month to month, from weeks to weeks and even day to day. Top golfers try to maintain their physical fitness with exercise, injury and aging will eventually change their condition.
So the “perfect fitting” is a comfort in thoughts, perhaps boosting one’s confidence.
My first instructor told me that he used to monkey around with the loft/lie machine and the swing weight scale ( some 40 years ago ) and his conclusion after a lifelong experiment was, the equipment will make very little difference in one’s golf game.
That was, before the boom of the metal driver and the advancement in the golf ball technology. It was a time when the equipment had peaked the performance in that era.
We’re into the modern age of the same situation, with the equipment peaking at it’s performance ( to the conforming limit) with the current design and material in use.
Same story, work on the other major elements in the formula, the golfer, instead of continuing looking for an easy way to improve our game without effort.

1 Like

Agreed. If you’re always building your irons with Dynamic Gold S300 then you can just use swingweight to match the new set to the old at D3 or whatever. If you decided you’re going to switch to 60g graphite and then add some weight to the heads and maybe even switch to lighter grips to match the swingweight then D3 is not the same.

I experimented once with light graphite iron shafts and I used backweights to get the static weight up. I really hit the 5 and 6 irons well (maybe better), but I couldn’t hit the 9 and PW at all. The balance (for me) was way off with all that weight under the grip. I wound up making a set with 125g shafts in the 7-P and then 105g shafts in the 4, 5 and 6 and it was a nice set lol.

There are some fitters that don’t advocate 1/2" difference between irons. Some make the PW and 9i the same length. Some only want 1/4" difference with the PW being made longer than average. Of course there are single length irons. I guess if every swing is different then why make all sets of clubs the same?

1 Like

The recent trend was to leave the 3/8th" gap, they call this MOI matching.
I’m not against experimenting for new methods to help to enjoy this game. It’ll give those who think they had it figured out more stuff to get busy with,

Just remember, there is not a whole lot of new invention under the Sun as long as we’re still hitting the small sphere with a stick.
The next invention to end all of these fitting craze is to have a material which could be molded per spec as ordered. The head weight, the shaft weight the flex and automatically balance the finished club according to the CAD calculation. A set of iron could be finished within half an hour and ready to be played within several hours.
The material should be recycle friendly.
This is not a friction, the material behind the theory is probably available to everyone within the next 3 decades, and of course the military will get their hands on this first.
3D printing is way too slow, compressed molding with injection is probably they direction it’ll go.
Should eventually replace all the plastic material in the future. Graphite, alloy, and it should be environmentally friendly.
I won’t live to see this, but it is being looked into at this moment. Of course not for the golf club building. Only a golf nut will think of applying the method to building golf clubs.

I’ve made my irons MOI matched (at least to some extent) for years now. I got most of my info from Tom Wishon and Dave Tutelman. I still use 1/2" gap, but you mainly adjust the head weight to yield the same MOI. An 8g difference between heads is usually about right rather than 7g, but it also depends on whether the shafts are constant weight or varying. I have thought about changing the length gap in my clubs, but I haven’t had time for those experiments and my time would likely be better spent practicing with what I have.

I like building a set of clubs with more consistency, but I don’t know that it will change your score all that much. It is a nice knowing your clubs really are what you think they are. That said if you can’t get off the tee and your short game sucks those perfect irons will seem wasted lol.

2 Likes

Exactly.
Tools are only useful in the hands of a trained craftsman.

There are some believe the magic in finding the special golf club or golf ball or something, which will provide a shortcut to better golf.
For the 99% of the amateurs out there, the fitting or MOI matching or whatever, will not make a meaningful difference in their game.
As well as the Pro V1 will not make any difference to the average golfer for their golf game, except thinning their wallet.
Premium golf balls do make a difference in some golfers’ golf game, but probably will make no significant difference in the weekend golfer’s game.
The only time I would change a golf ball is when I could get deep discount for last years model ( which will be essentially the same golf ball as this season’s except for the paint ).
I do switch to a lower compression , softer golf ball during the off season. Bring out the premium golf balls during those months when we have the perfect weather and firm fast greens. Simply because I hate to lose a premium golf ball in the fairway buried in its pitch park.

Be selective and be smart of how to use the knowledge pf modern days, and not forgo the primary tool we all have, between the ears.

At least this spam is sort of on-point.

I went to oversized fews a couple years back and love them. I have tried several and my suugestion would be to get one with nice taper. The onces with less taper for the trail hand seem to make me use too much pressure vs the lead. That said, I know people who love less taper. Try a few out out on 2-3 clubs before you do them all.