Keeping Stats/Notes Manually?

??? I don’t use an app.

Sorry - misread part of your post

Interesting to see the range of different methods and degrees coming out here. I use:

• Shot scope V3 for stat capture, post-round review and identifying areas for improvements. I love using this to see how far I hit a bomb drive on the rare occasions that occurs

• I have a mental scorecard I adapted from Golf State of Mind to use in-round, primarily my mental prompts and to keep me on track with my strategy. Sometimes I write notes on this to remind me things that arise in-round, e.g. my back hurts - need to do more planks!

• Based on Golf State of Mind I also have a Post Round Review template for capturing the usual feedback; What went well, What could have been Better, How To (what to work on)

• I also have a dog-eared A6 book I take notes in post-round and after range or practice sessions. I try to identify where things work (to keep doing) and things to improve on. For rounds I use a scoring system I adapted from @jon, eg Tee shots, Approach shots, Chipping/Pitching and Putting. I use a score out of 10. I try to also try to rate my mental state, my adherence to my own strategy etc

4 Likes

I’m leaning towards Shotscope for 2021. I’ve tried old Game Golf (didn’t like the tagging, but loved the SG data), MyRoundPro (has some limitations on updating scorecards and is very phone focused), Golf Stat Coach (more SG focused, but wanted a lot of manual data entry), and Garmin (liked functionality but didn’t give concrete SG stuff). My Garmin watch died post-warranty, so for last season I wasn’t keeping track of much beyond what I do for Golf Blueprint.

I’m looking for ease of use, less phone time during my round, and ability to play around with SG. I also feel like I do better playing Front/Mid/Back yardages rather than getting hung up on a lasered yardage.

I like what I’m reading about Shotscope, especially if they’re adding SG in 2021.

2 Likes

I know this post is a few years old, but I too like to keep technology out of my golf time. I found this post while doing some research on what my options are and decided to put together my own score card where I can collect all the data I need. Check it out if you want, https://www.dropbox.com/s/86x24lvzl7d4nl5/stat%20book.pptx?dl=0. Let me know what you think. Would like some feedback on it.

1 Like

Perhaps, enter your stats into a spreadsheet which will calculate the average?
Some of the APP will give you more information than you will ever need. I don’t use them either; I don’t even keep track of fairway hits, GIR and # of putts these days. A birdie with a -1, a par with a -, and a bogey marked with a +1, plus the final tally of numbers is plenty for me these days.

1 Like