Is golf a sport?

lol, so many opportunities for Practical Spinoffs

2 Likes

Not to take this discussion off-topic, but… I agree with the idea of golf not really fitting in with the Olympics.

Most of you know that the original premise of the Olympics was amateur competitions … and very clearly we’re now very, very far past that point…

Watching the individual pros… that I see every weekend… seemed no different to me. Perhaps some team formats of different types, or something like long drive, Par 3, whatever other challenges might make it more interesting?

1 Like

I’m also on the … unpopular? … side of I don’t really care what non-golfers think.

I very much enjoy the constant challenge of the (activity, recreation, outdoor pursuit, whatever whatchamacallit…) in and of itself.

Coupled with the desire to improve while strategizing how to … let’s just call it “compete” for now … against the hazards of the course, plus any adverse elements of weather and … perhaps the most insurmountable … all of your own internal doubts, fears, nerves, etc etc … …

2 Likes

Many professional golfers excelled at other sports. Many elite athletes in other sports are very good at golf. For something that some insist isn’t a sport, innate athleticism seems to matter a whole lot.

if going by physique being a criteria:

NBA - see harden, james post quarantine
MLB - see sandoval, pablo

World Series champion!

I don’t think this is an arguable discussion. Golf is a sport. Sport is anything you do to exercise your body in which I’m very sure golf does that

3 Likes

Here is a fun one

Get on a radar and try and swing a driver 115 mph

Should clear this question up quickly

1 Like

In golf, sportsmanship is celebrated, and gamesmanship is sometimes frowned upon.

2 Likes

I can drink beer and play baseball/basketball, just doesn’t help (or hurts me more) as much as when I do it when playing golf.

2 Likes