Is golf a sport?

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT The only people who even care about this are golfers. Great article, but nobody else even thinks this is a thing. :smile:. It’s like only short people know how tall they are to the 1/8 of an inch…

2 Likes

Clear your search history! Don’t want to get busted at work for googling “cornhole”! I think they’ve tried to rebrand it as bags…

I think it’s pretty clear that golf is a sport… it rewards athleticism as evidenced by guys like tiger and Bryson… it just also rewards other skills.

On the other end of the spectrum, is weightlifting a sport? It’s mostly strength with some technique…

1 Like

Sure, there are grey areas which will be endless. Context will matter as well, if I go and dance in the street or throw a few darts I would not say I am practicing a sport. But let’s take the Olympic Curling Teams, they are most definitely a sport. Or break-dancers participating in comps, you have to design a routine, practice, and execute under pressure.

But I get your point. In the end as long as everyone is enjoying themselves who really cares.

1 Like

A: Hitting 1000’s of balls a week. walking 4 miles a day, using most muscles in your body, qualifies golf as a sport to me.
2: If I went home as a kid & told my Daddy I was playin’ cornhole … well let’s leave it there. :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Baseball is a “game” also, but few deny it’s a sport. Now with the long hitters especially, less excuse to claim golf isn’t a sport!

1 Like

IF darts become an Olympic sport, I’ll definitely start training for it, LOL. Point taken, no pun intended. :smile:

1 Like

A bit of a tangent, but I’ll throw it out there… maybe an unpopular opinion, but I wasn’t crazy about golf being in the Olympics. Golf already has a big audience and its majors and big events. Leave the Olympics for track and field, bobsledding, etc. where this is there biggest event. I’m sure Justin Rose disagrees.

2 Likes

This take I agree with. Part of the magic with the Olympics is that the athletes train for 4 years and get one shot at making it, that’s a lot of pressure and great stories of success and failure come out of it. Imagine being DQ’d for e.g. jump starting and there goes four years down the drain. Compelling drama.

Golf feels a little blaah, at least make it a team comp or some other format where maybe men and women compete on the same team. On that note, making it to the S-Korean women’s golf team is one of the hardest tickets in sports right now.

1 Like

My favourite sports growing up in Scotland were golf, snooker and darts. I rarely drink beers during golf but happily have a beer at snooker and darts - well it’s practically mandatory. No one is selling Fit for Darts programs :laughing:

3 Likes

could be an opportunity to start “practical darts” website

6 Likes

lol, so many opportunities for Practical Spinoffs

2 Likes

Not to take this discussion off-topic, but… I agree with the idea of golf not really fitting in with the Olympics.

Most of you know that the original premise of the Olympics was amateur competitions … and very clearly we’re now very, very far past that point…

Watching the individual pros… that I see every weekend… seemed no different to me. Perhaps some team formats of different types, or something like long drive, Par 3, whatever other challenges might make it more interesting?

1 Like

I’m also on the … unpopular? … side of I don’t really care what non-golfers think.

I very much enjoy the constant challenge of the (activity, recreation, outdoor pursuit, whatever whatchamacallit…) in and of itself.

Coupled with the desire to improve while strategizing how to … let’s just call it “compete” for now … against the hazards of the course, plus any adverse elements of weather and … perhaps the most insurmountable … all of your own internal doubts, fears, nerves, etc etc … …

2 Likes

Many professional golfers excelled at other sports. Many elite athletes in other sports are very good at golf. For something that some insist isn’t a sport, innate athleticism seems to matter a whole lot.

if going by physique being a criteria:

NBA - see harden, james post quarantine
MLB - see sandoval, pablo

World Series champion!

I don’t think this is an arguable discussion. Golf is a sport. Sport is anything you do to exercise your body in which I’m very sure golf does that

3 Likes

Here is a fun one

Get on a radar and try and swing a driver 115 mph

Should clear this question up quickly

1 Like

In golf, sportsmanship is celebrated, and gamesmanship is sometimes frowned upon.

2 Likes

I can drink beer and play baseball/basketball, just doesn’t help (or hurts me more) as much as when I do it when playing golf.

2 Likes