How To Play This Shot?

Are there tips that anyone would care to provide for chipping/pitching from deep rough, especially if a bunker is between ball and green?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Open stance and club face. Take it away semi-steep with a quicker wrist hinge. Swing down at pretty much the same angle and accelerate through the ball. It won’t spin, but it’ll hit soft enough to hold green depending on situation.

3 Likes

Is there anyone out there who can help. This is starting to be an emergency.

I’m a sweeper.
The question is around wet soggy grass and chipping/pitching.
I can’t handle 20-50 yard chipping/pitching because i use the bounce and am apparently terribly ball bound. If i practice swing i contact the ground on the target side but when i actually swing for real, i either hit the ground before the ball and lay sod over it or blade the ball over the green. I don’t seem to have the ability to do anything between these two extremes. :thinking:

Very frustrated. I’m thinking about hybrid but i can’t really control the runout at all. It really might be plus or minus 20 yards on average struck shots.
But that is an improvement on where i am right now.

1 Like

An option that may work is a bump and run with a mid-iron with the ball played back in your stance and the stroke like a putt. The face isn’t as hot as a hybrid or fairway wood so the runout should be more predictable.

Another (possibly crazy) option for your current swing: try looking at the target instead of the ball when you swing. Take your regular practice swings and setup, but then never look down again. It might help break the cycle of ball boundedness.

3 Likes

Change focus on both swings from the ball to a random distinct ground point in front of the ball? I.e., try to hit some point on the ground 1-2 ball widths in front of the ball?

Thinking this might provide a consistent focus, independent of the ball, and promote a downward strike.

3 Likes

I had similar struggles. The ball bound thing was more in my full swing and I just forced myself to have a routine and trigger to swing. I had to do the same thing shooting free throws in basketball in my younger days. I needed a routine so I didn’t get static and stuck over the ball and maybe a trigger (waggle, lift your foot, forward press, etc) to start the swing.

As far as the chip/pitch I found a slightly open stance worked better for me to help focus on my landing spot. I have to watch out for getting too stuck here. I tend to pitch it well with the 60*, but then with the 56 or 52, I’ll be too flat footed and chunk it. I like to look at the front of the ball or just in front of the ball with most of my weight forward to get my low point right.

3 Likes