How do you learn to like a tee shot?

Isn’t it interesting how nemesis holes change? For me, one well struck shot at a correct target provides me with a visual I can recall every subsequent time I tee it up.
#1 was such a hole, uphill slight dogleg left with OB/trees left, huge fall-off right (which has sent a slice two fairways away!). There’s not enough room to go over/past trees with a fade. Add the fact that it sets the tone for the round shivers my timbers.
I don’t have a functional ‘slight draw’ with my driver yet but I can dance my 3W like Astaire. As others have advised, a study of GE gave me a precise target and one solid shot became my Patronus Charm.

I have a theory that the shortest club you can hit off the tee and still get home is functional. Might not be best for scoring low, but if it takes high numbers out of play, to me that’s functional. Then work your way up the bag ‘til you hit Goldilocks, often not driver.

3 Likes

Well I’m still not completely comfortable with certain tee shots, but the more I hit this new 3 wood decently the better I’m feeling about hitting a fairway. It’s not quite as long as my old one, but it hits higher and straighter. I didn’t have much range time with it and was reluctant to use it initially, but I can’t say I’ve missed a shot with it the last handful of rounds and I probably should be using it more often. Unfortunately the upcoming weather forecast doesn’t look good for golf so I may be done until Spring. Our winter golf trip isn’t looking too likely either.

1 Like

Haha, so I was about to make a post about the first hole at my club, which I consider a nemesis hole right now… and I’m reminded that I know better than that…

Thanks past me! I’m going to pick a target and hit my 3 wood at it, and then adjust… I’m going to keep adjusting until I don’t hate this hole.

1 Like

I’ve done better this season on my “nemesis” hole #12. I had been struggling with 10, 11 and 12 and I still do as they are hard holes (hole 11 is #1 hdcp), but my average scores have dropped. I have figured out how to make bogey on them after bad tee shots and I think that’s made me dread the tee shot less.

3 Likes

I’m really struggling on the front nine at my course… I haven’t broken 40 on it this season… We don’t really have any EASY par 5s, but #3 should be the easiest… I’ve actually gotten better at the blind tee shot on it, which has helped a ton.

The first 2 holes are currently just killing me, and the 2nd hole is a par 3! I don’t mind missing it and making a bogey on occasion, but I can’t seem to find the green, and I’m hitting an 8 iron. It’s just bad… It should be a par and move on hole, but it’s not… Maybe I just need to aim more center green until I’m playing better… it’s a HUGE green.

2 Likes

You may have answered your own question on the par 3. Aim middle and back of the green. Hit the the green. Watch your scoring average drop

2 Likes

Yeah, my iron play is also just a mess right now… finally got some dr scholls and am working to clean up my contact…

I just don’t have any feel with my long game right now… it’s a mess.

2 Likes

There’s a short Par 4 on a course I play that … quote-unquote … “should be” pretty straightforward but, of course, I manage to totally screw it up every time…

Until yesterday, and not saying I’ve cured my bugaboo with this hole forever, but did play it this last time just as it should be played (for me, that is! …outside of hitting the green on your tee shot, but that’s way out of my pay grade plus it’s a very sloped crowned green) - easy hybrid to the end of the left center of the fairway … easy wedge onto anywhere on the side of the green that the flag is on … lip out the first putt … take your tap-in par … pat yourself on the back :wink: and move on to the next hole!

2 Likes