Golf & Mindfulness - a Quick Guide

Thanks for the reply! I think golf really is the ideal place for mindfulness, but that doesn’t mean it’s an easy place for it! I think all the distractions and tendencies to get trapped in thought in daily life are just distilled down on the golf course, making it more difficult to stay mindful but also meaning it can provide the greatest benefits.

2 Likes

One thing I’ve always struggled with is that the more I try to be ‘mindful’, the more I seem to loose touch with reality. A good example of this is judging speed on the greens. The harder I try to concerntrate, the more worse my judgement of speed becomes.
For me, I have the best results when I’m confident, but don’t try to try, if that makes sense. Just relax, tell myself that I’m a good putter and that I can trust myselfe, size everything up, and then hit the putt.

I think there’s a good point to be made there. Mindfulness isn’t really actively thinking or separating yourself from reality, but increasing the active awareness of the reality you’re in. For something like putting, I try to be mindful of the feeling of the ground under my feet and identifying my balance point. This really helps me understand the slope that I’m on.

1 Like

Yeah, I really struggle with that. I’m not good at feeling the slope with my stance. I guess it just takes practice.

If I’m telling myself to feel the slope in order to judge the putt, I can’t do it, but if I just ask myself “how does my weight and balance feel in my feet right now?” I can get a decent sense of how I’m feeling and seem to subconsciously apply that to the putt.

1 Like

I’ve got this post saved so I can read it again. Just been thro the full thread again and realise I’ve still got some opportunities to improve my mental game for this coming season. Thanks @CoryO :clap:t2:

4 Likes

Like everything with golf ALWAYS opportunities to improve!

4 Likes

New to this site and just read through this thread. I struggle with staying focused on the course and will be utilizing the breathing you discussed . Thanks for sharing such a great and timely topic!

4 Likes