Game improvement clubs or not?

Sounds like a fitting is in order. The 410 is by almost every metric a historically great driver. If you are getting that much more carry, to me indicates the 410 is not fit properly.

3 Likes

@THEZIPR23 is correct… If you are carrying a different driver 20 yards farther, there is something missing in your current setup… you might be able to just change shafts and not have to buy a new driver…

PINGs also hold their value really well, so you can always get a decent chunk back from trade in or selling it on eBay. (They are listed for around $300 on eBay right now)

1 Like

This makes good sense. I just need to figure out where to get a fitting! We have club champions near us–and Golf Tec–are either any good?

2 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t use either…

Do you have a local golf store? They tend to be a good place to get fit, as they depend on their reputation with the community…

Golf Headquarters here in Louisville is phenomenal… Their best fitter is actually a member here, though he’s not here that often.

I live in Northern Virginia. There are tons of everything, but no sort of small town local shop. Maybe I’ll just take recommendations from you guys, and buy blindly off of those! What specs do you need?

1 Like

Ha! Are you around DC? I’m sure there is a good local fitter… I’ll look it up tomorrow.

I know there’s a Titleist fitting center at 1757 in Sterling, I got fit there for my T200s (for a review on another website). You can hit all of the shafts available through Titleist. Its a nice set up, with Trackman for data collection, but hitting into the driving range so you can see the entire flight of the ball.

1 Like

Thanks Dave–are you saying you did a review on their website? They aren’t too far away.

My review was on another golf forum, I participate in a few, and as a rule I don’t name other websites. I appreciate the community that Jon has built here, and won’t do anything to send people looking elsewhere.
But my experience at 1757 was very positive. At the time, the Roger (the Titleist guy) was staying away from work for COVID reasons, so I did mine with Tim. Extremely knowledgeable, personable, helpful, and a very nice facility. I particularly liked that I was hitting balls onto the range, so I could watch the entire ball flight, while still getting the numerical data from Trackman. I’m not sure I’d enjoy an indoor-only fitting as well.
And the clubs are very solid, I’m completely happy with them. My prior set was AP-2 714, so I was about due to get something new.

1 Like

Just to clarify a little… I don’t know much about GolfTec, but have never heard of them in the conversation in terms of club fitting… I know a couple of guys who take lessons at them, and I haven’t been impressed with their feedback (even if the guys are happy with the lessons)

I believe Club Champion hires decent fitters and definitely has the technology to fit you decently… I think it can be hit or miss based on who is in the room with you (as all fittings will be) but I’ve heard from industry contacts about their sale metrics, and it seems to be a system designed to move expensive equipment. That’s not to say you won’t get a good fit, I just question whether or not their incentives are aligned with yours, in terms of getting you into what you need…

I had a Wishon fitter basically kick me out before a driver fitting one time, because my swing was was outside, and he thought it would help me to get my swing fixed before buying a driver from him… The fitter at my local store bent my putter to be more in line with what I needed (for free) because he thought it would be as good as getting fit… Those type of guys genuinely want people to be in the best equipment, even if you don’t buy it from them… Club Champion is not set up to hire that type of person… and that’s fine! They do some cool stuff, have some cool technology and other people here love going to get fit there.

I’d highly recommend checking out Dave’s suggestion in Sterling and then coming here and just asking any questions you have about the process… I don’t think us trying to fit you by committee will end well for anyone, but the hive mind here can definitely answer any questions you have and help make you make the best choice possible.

1 Like

I had the exact same situation at Impact Golf. Now that I’ve fixed my swing, I’ll probably go elsewhere for my next fitting. Though…I was very impressed with my putter fitting there (different person).

I would have happily gone back to the Wishon fitter… he chose to not make money because he didn’t think a new driver would help me… He retired before I was buying my next driver…

I actually did a fitting with a Wishon guy that was similar–I still have the clubs, they are our “loaner” set. I have numbers from other fittings that show me, for titleist anyway–standard loft, length, and a degree off in lie. And recommended the AMT red shaft–which is also stock. The lie can easily be bent the degree. Is there a reason I shouldn’t just order stock from TGW, or Golf Discounters, or…

I’m asking because I know if I order “custom” via a fitter–it will take forever and be significantly more expensive. And if all I need is a degree lie change…

1 Like

If you know what you need, you can order them stock and get them bent down at a shop…

So the short answer is: Save the money, buy from Discount Dan’s and call it a day.

This assumes you know what you want set wise, which is seems like you do… I don’t know what current lead times are, and honestly, I’d ask if stock lead time is any different than if you need a lie angle adjustment… they should be able to knock that out, but I have no idea.

I know I needed game improvers, I was just giving away too much with blades–though they are nice and I enjoy hitting them. Until I mishit them. I’m ended up with the Mavriks and the T300s in competition.

Both are significantly better than my blades. Not too much difference in distance–except the Mavrik has a lot of run-out. And–I kind of have to work the swing a little bit too get good height, and keep it from running hot left (I’m a hooker when it goes bad). The T300s have significantly less off set, and the flight was good with just my “natural” swing. So–they are winning. I’m tempted to cancel my appointment with the Golfdom sales guy and just pull the trigger–the web site has a 30 day guarantee if it turns out I hate them, and I confirmed availability. They won’t bend them, but for a price lower than than I can find anywhere else they will ship my configuration here via overnight air and be in my hands Friday. Very tempting!

3 Likes

Sounds like you answered your own question there… Me, I’ll take the kick-ass dude who’ll help me win!

1 Like

That’s interesting about Club Champion. A buddy just went to one and they couldn’t beat his own driver, so they didn’t charge him.

I’ve wondered what I’ll do for my next set. Now that PXG is getting more reasonable in pricing, I’ve been thinking about going PXG. Their fitting model is similar to club champion, just with only PXG clubs I think.

2 Likes

That’s just my opinion… I’m fairly active on golfwrx and have read some threads about people going there and it seems to be hit or miss.

I’m sure you can have a good experience, and I think the end product is probably comparable to most other fitting places, you’ll just pay significantly more.

I’m actually not sure if they pure their builds or how robust their quality assurance is… if it’s a top of the line build, it might be worth it if you don’t care about the cost.

I’ve heard good things about pxg fitters. Sent an online buddy there and he had a really good experience… he’s recently gone to ping, Callaway and tm demo days as well.

It just depends on what you want… I think club champion has a tendency to oversell and under deliver, but I’m just going on people willing to post about their experience.

1 Like

Well, I ended up going with T300s. I hit both them and the Callaway Mavriks on three separate occasions. The T-300s consistently edged the Mavriks. The T-300s had higher ball flight, longer carry, a little less rollout, and were less prone to go left (I’m a hooker).

The sales experience was interesting. They were very nice, but at first were, “well our price is x, and of course we are going to need to order custom (the only thing I needed was to have them bent one more degree flat), so it’s going to be six weeks”. I told them no problem–I’d order standard from X online distributor at 200 dollars less and get someone to bend them, and I’d pay the extra 26 bucks for 2 day air.

Then they said they would match the price. I said great, but you told you didn’t have any sets. “Maybe some just came in”. And of course they had, they matched the price, and I gave them back the 4 iron (I only wanted 5-PW). Good to go. If I hadn’t done the research, I would have been waiting 6 weeks to pay $200.00 more. But they were always really nice, and no attitude about the price match.

2 Likes

Nice! Hope you enjoy them.

Did they bend them for you?