For the addicted HIGH handicap hackers

I agree, it is very important to track these parts of your game over time and look at where you might improve. I have played hundreds of rounds doing this and have learned that to meet my scoring goals things like Tee Shot Success, Scramble Par %age, and Penalty Avoidance must be at certain levels.

I recommend also tracking Penalty Strokes and Short Game Strokes. Short Game Strokes are total shots and putts needed to hole out from any greenside situation. I count anything out to about 50 yards or so where all shots are partial swings or out of bunkers.

I also recommend that mid to high handicappers pick up at net double bogey and track those also.

2 Likes

+2’s a bit onerous, IMHO. I generally do it at +3 or +4. So long as I’m not taking very long. If I’m lagging behind, then sure.

1 Like

Good approach with your last line. When my brother and I first took up the game, we played “bogey-par”; when you made an actual bogey, it was a personal par. It was far less discouraging and set a good benchmark for future rounds. You’re doing this fine, good luck.

2 Likes

I have been through this in the last few years. I am now a regular mid 80’s score and here are the things I really found helped me. Ignore as you see fit.

1. Stats. I got a Shotscope and was able to see where my errors were really coming from, and where the ‘big miss’ that was costing me most shots was. Initially it was a driver slice.
  2. Lessons. Getting someone to show you what you should be doing and what to work on is a huge help. I had a lot of misconceptions about how to hit a ball.
    These two steps got me to the almost always in the 90’s phase.
  3. Ignore course par, set your own based on your HCI. a 400 yard par 4 can be daunting, a 400 yard par 6 quite enticing!
  4. Putt better. Its the easiest thing to improve and I dropped 4 shots a round just through this (average 32 now so still working)
  5. Play shots that you can play. If you cant do it 70% of the time, don’t even try.
  6. Don’t panic after a poor shot. 1 shot wont ruin a round (or even a hole) but trying to hit a 3w from the rough, over water because you hit a duff drive will.
    This stuff really got me down to low 90’s
  7. I now play, or try to play, bogey golf. i.e. one over on each hole is good and is below my HCI (20.2) though this year on my home course I am averaging +17
  8. I break the course down into 6, 3 hole sections with a ‘par’ for the 3 holes. Each section is totally independent of the others and it helps to not let a bad start drag you down.
    As a result I am now in the 80’s most the time. Yes I have worked at getting a better technique but I would exercise some caution in this. Focus on consistency above anything. You will see a lot of talk of swing speed etc. Don’t worry about hitting a 7i 150 yards, worry about hitting it 130 yards, straight 90% of the time.
    Drive the ball 200 yard in play, hit greens from 150 and in and 2 putt and your scores will plummet.

Good luck!!!

5 Likes

Not to flog a dead horse here, but there are arguably two ends of the high handicap spectrum:

• Golfers who primarily spend their golfing hours on a course, which is where their practice and their breakthroughs occur
  • Golfers who spend orders of magnitude more time on the range and on putting greens than they do on a course

At one end is what I would call “improvisational” golfers, ie., they basically improvise the game of golf on the fly and hope for the best.

At the other end is what I would call “rote” golfers, ie., they gauge their successes on the course by how accurately they convey their long hours of practice into an actual round of golf.

It’s up to the individual high handicap golfer to determine where on this spectrum he/she/unspecified/X desires to be, based on real-life criteria such as time available, resources, money, proximity to a course and/or range, amount of space at home for some practice equipment, spouse’s tolerance for such, etc.

Let’s face it… If you’re retired and Life-as-you-know-it is going to revolve around golf, then you can move to a golfing community, buy a golf cart, practice every day, play three to five times a week, and get better quicker than if you casually visit a course once every two weeks and rent a different set of clubs every time you go there.

I have come to the point in my life where I have categorically rejected “formula golf”, at least for me. Golf as I prefer to play the game is based on my sense of touch, feel, mood, current equipment, and whatever it is I’m currently working on in my swing or in my game. It’s a never-ending process and a constant journey into the next phase of my golf.

Whatever it is you seek in the Game, I earnestly hope that you find it, and find enjoyment in it and in the Journey itself. It’s not really about the score, the handicap, or even the number of rounds you get to play. It’s about the fun and the happiness you get out of being out there with a club in your hand in a ball on the ground, whether it’s on the range, on the course, or in your own backyard.

Enjoy!

Billy

3 Likes

^^ Awesome.
Really good thoughts in there, thx.
:clap:

Although very frustrating to not execute your plan for every shot. And yes, every shot kinda sorta has a plan. The whole point is to have fun, I walk… so I get exercise and have fun kinda sorta. There really is no feeling any better for a golfer than nailing that shot as you have planned and feedback is immediate. We all need to get that feeling more often. My goal this year is to break 80 every time out and just have fun! I’d love to play a round just once with NO BOGEYS. But that’s unrealistic.

1 Like

Hey, I’ve done it, no problem:
…two or three Pars and a whole bunch of Doubles and Others … no bogeys!
:rofl: :rofl:

But seriously - I do try to plan my shots generally adhering to the principle of… “Confident shot on a Conservative line”.

And generally my screw ups are when I’m not confident in my shot or I just stoopitly rush it… Work In Progress!!

2 Likes

Great input here. One book that really has made a difference as I empathize with you as a fellow high handicapper - Golf is not a Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella.

Maybe it was mentioned in this thread but definitely will help you as you press on and wait for that day you consistently score in the low 90’s!

2 Likes

Watch a golf tournament on the sports channel, the professionals being the best golfers in the world will make many mistakes during a round of golf.
If anyone expect to master the game of golf the easy way, then, this is not a good fit for their expectation.