Fairway Woods vs Hybrids vs Utility Irons

What’s your bag setup and what do you use the 18.5 to do?

If you are hitting everything else better but can’t hit that, I’d maybe replace it instead of learning to hit it… probably just a setup issue, but I’d worry fixing it will impact the rest of your bag!

Plenty of great used options out there, just need to find the right fit for you.

Are you better with fairway woods now? I’d just find something that works!

My 18.5 essentially functions as a 3 iron. I use it for 195-205 shots.

I’m not particularly good with fairway woods which is why I’m in the market for a new one. I generally love hybrids but just started struggling with this one the last couple of weeks.

I now have a few rounds in with my utility iron (18*) which replaced my hybrid. I LOVE it. Still working out some consistency but I have a lot of confidence in it as compared to having no idea where the hybrid would go. May have lost a little distance in carry compared to the hybrid (225 vs. ~230) but the accuracy is better, I can use it to punch out of trees, and runs out so is great off a tee. Haven’t had a lot of fairway use for it just yet.

Trackman was saying 225 carry and total distance up to 245-250 on some shots (obviously would be dependent on fairway conditions). The few times I’ve hit it from fairway I haven’t had issues with runout on greens.

If you like long irons (I know there aren’t that many people out there that raise their hand to hit them), I’d recommend trying one over a hybrid.

3 Likes