Expectation Management

Haha Rodd was my high school coach. Very good guy. Two Rivers is one of the courses my buddies and I play on our return home golf trip.

1 Like

My folks live in Sioux Falls now. Iā€™ve played every public course up there. I need to play more courses in the Sioux City area.

I was following Roddā€™s team this year a little bit. Seems like they had a good year. Sucks that their state tournament was at Southern Hills in Hot Springs. Such a terrible course and brutally hard without local knowledge.

Ha I lived in Sioux Falls for 9 years after school before I moved to Omaha five years ago.
Some pretty good golf in Sioux Falls. Only time Iā€™ve played out in Rapid was my Junior year at State. Tournament was at Hart Ranch, which I enjoyed. We won State that year so it must have been pretty good! Also played Red Rock, which I loved.
My buddy just bought a place out there, so hoping to make more non-ski trips in the future.

1 Like

Hart and Red Rock are great. I play Meadowbrook growing up.

And now this morning, I make 16 pars, 1 birdie and 1 bogey. Golf manā€¦golf.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. I did have trouble with balance, setting up my shots in the 20 mph wind - guess it wasnā€™t just tiredness!

2 Likes

Youā€™re welcome. Have you played again since then?

1 Like

That was yesterday. Would like to, but fall household tasks piling up! Hopefully more golfing ahead, local course is open any day itā€™s at least 40 degrees.

3 Likes

How about putting in the wind? How do you compensate?

1 Like

Strong enough wind will move a ball thatā€™s been puttā€¦ Iā€™ve had more problems with it blowing off line than not hitting it hard enoughā€¦ more than anything, I think it exaggerates breaksā€¦

2 Likes

I agree with Craigers about factoring the wind into break. But Iā€™ve always thought the biggest adjustment is to widen your stance to make sure you have a stable base. If youā€™re moving when you putt you have no chance.

3 Likes

I played on a day about 2 weeks ago where we had strong wind. On the 14th my clicgear buggy got blown over and my ball hit to 10ft got blown from resting to 1 ft from the hole. I read lines by standing behind the ball and lining my putter up with the flagstick. When it is windy my putter doesnā€™t hang freely and gets buffeted by the wind. When this happens I donā€™t have confidence in my line

1 Like

When the carts start blowing over and you need a flagstick to plumb bob maybe itā€™s time to seek shelter. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

And tonight, I shot 4 underā€¦best round in 2 years! What a crazy game!

4 Likes

First truism of golf - Golf is Weird.

Great round!

3 Likes

I knew we had the Omaha connection, but not the SF one as well. I was born in Sioux Falls and lived there until I was 12. Decent amount of family still there.

2 Likes

Small world, man. Weā€™ve kicked the can on moving back. I have a ton of friends and thereā€™s an incredible citywide golf pass. I donā€™t miss the winters, though. Crazy how much worse they are up there than only 2.5 hours south here in Omaha.

3 Likes

When I first joined the club there was a similar day where you putted up to hole on a slope on the 3rd green and when it missed the hole it got blown back down the slope to your feet. I just put it down as a 2 putt as it was an impossible putt. The day from a few weeks ago was windy with some very strong gusts. Mt Osmond GC is on top of a hill and quite exposed in places so susceptible to easterlies(gully winds)

2 Likes

nice shooting, Jake!

1 Like

Fun factoid tidbit from Phil Kenyon, putting coach, looking at putting stats from the pro tour ā€¦

You can see as Phil points out, these are the top 5 putters in the world!

4 Likes