Expectation Management

Haha Rodd was my high school coach. Very good guy. Two Rivers is one of the courses my buddies and I play on our return home golf trip.

1 Like

My folks live in Sioux Falls now. I’ve played every public course up there. I need to play more courses in the Sioux City area.

I was following Rodd’s team this year a little bit. Seems like they had a good year. Sucks that their state tournament was at Southern Hills in Hot Springs. Such a terrible course and brutally hard without local knowledge.

Ha I lived in Sioux Falls for 9 years after school before I moved to Omaha five years ago.
Some pretty good golf in Sioux Falls. Only time I’ve played out in Rapid was my Junior year at State. Tournament was at Hart Ranch, which I enjoyed. We won State that year so it must have been pretty good! Also played Red Rock, which I loved.
My buddy just bought a place out there, so hoping to make more non-ski trips in the future.

1 Like

Hart and Red Rock are great. I play Meadowbrook growing up.

And now this morning, I make 16 pars, 1 birdie and 1 bogey. Golf man…golf.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. I did have trouble with balance, setting up my shots in the 20 mph wind - guess it wasn’t just tiredness!

2 Likes

You’re welcome. Have you played again since then?

1 Like

That was yesterday. Would like to, but fall household tasks piling up! Hopefully more golfing ahead, local course is open any day it’s at least 40 degrees.

3 Likes

How about putting in the wind? How do you compensate?

1 Like

Strong enough wind will move a ball that’s been putt… I’ve had more problems with it blowing off line than not hitting it hard enough… more than anything, I think it exaggerates breaks…

2 Likes

I agree with Craigers about factoring the wind into break. But I’ve always thought the biggest adjustment is to widen your stance to make sure you have a stable base. If you’re moving when you putt you have no chance.

3 Likes

I played on a day about 2 weeks ago where we had strong wind. On the 14th my clicgear buggy got blown over and my ball hit to 10ft got blown from resting to 1 ft from the hole. I read lines by standing behind the ball and lining my putter up with the flagstick. When it is windy my putter doesn’t hang freely and gets buffeted by the wind. When this happens I don’t have confidence in my line

1 Like

When the carts start blowing over and you need a flagstick to plumb bob maybe it’s time to seek shelter. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

And tonight, I shot 4 under…best round in 2 years! What a crazy game!

4 Likes

First truism of golf - Golf is Weird.

Great round!

3 Likes

I knew we had the Omaha connection, but not the SF one as well. I was born in Sioux Falls and lived there until I was 12. Decent amount of family still there.

2 Likes

Small world, man. We’ve kicked the can on moving back. I have a ton of friends and there’s an incredible citywide golf pass. I don’t miss the winters, though. Crazy how much worse they are up there than only 2.5 hours south here in Omaha.

3 Likes

When I first joined the club there was a similar day where you putted up to hole on a slope on the 3rd green and when it missed the hole it got blown back down the slope to your feet. I just put it down as a 2 putt as it was an impossible putt. The day from a few weeks ago was windy with some very strong gusts. Mt Osmond GC is on top of a hill and quite exposed in places so susceptible to easterlies(gully winds)

2 Likes

nice shooting, Jake!

1 Like

Fun factoid tidbit from Phil Kenyon, putting coach, looking at putting stats from the pro tour …

You can see as Phil points out, these are the top 5 putters in the world!

4 Likes