Dealing with your Nemesis Shot

I think all golfers have at least one “nemesis shot”, a golf shot that they just plain don’t like or aren’t comfortable at all with. These shots could be legitimately difficult ones like being short-sided out of the rough, but the true nemesis shots tend to be the ones we feel like we should be able to handle easily, like a 20 yard chip off a tight lie or short forced carries over hazards. The simple answer to these shots is to practice them, but that’s not something we can do in the moment out on the course. For that, here’s a couple of mental tips I think could help:

1. Set normal expectations: By normal expectations, I mean asking yourself what should you reasonably expect from this shot given your game? I think too many golfers fall into the trap of extremely lowered expectations (“I just want it somewhere on the green” or “just clear the water”). In a strange way, these types of thoughts can increase the stress of the shot because now you’re afraid of failing at even the lowered expectation and all of this makes it more difficult to produce a good swing.

2. Talk through the shot: As part of your preparation, audibly talk through what you’re going to do for the shot. Describe your choices, the swing you’re going to produce, and the desired shot as if you’re talking to an audience. While it might be strange to do this on every shot, this audible reinforcement can help make a stronger visualization, better preparing you to perform.

3. Follow your pre-shot routine and then hit it: After talking through the shot, don’t make any adjustments to your pre-shot routine, just follow it and take the swing. Spending extra time or extra practice swings beyond your norm is just reinforcing the idea that this shot is different and because different is “bad”, it ups the stress level. At the end of the day, it’s just one golf swing, so get it done.

What do you all think? Any shot types or advice you’d like to share?

1 Like

For me it is more a particular shot on the course (Hole 12 shot over water) rather than a type of shot. These shots tend to rotate each year such that I have a different feared shot each season. I usually let this go on too long before fixing it. My method for fixing it is to go out to the shot late in the evening when no one else is on the course, drop about ten balls and figure out another way to play the shot, but more importantly, how to play it with confidence. Sometimes, this has involved taking two more clubs on a shot. Other times, perhaps playing a different line or laying up to a different distance. But I usually can get it figured out and am happy until the next feared shot develops on another hole.

2 Likes

My old nemesis shot was hitting over water or over the ob cnr of a dogleg. When I stopped fearing the worst I stopped losing balls. My current nemesis is the shank. I have fixed it by keeping my hands closer to my body through impact. Result pull hook. I just aim further right and accept the results. Accept that shots that land on the green will screw left off the green, and that I will have to hit a lot of bunker shots as a result. A lot of the key to dealing with difficult shots is to stop fearing the worst and be calm with accepting the consequences.

The old, tell your brain what you want to do, because it doesn’t know I don’t want to do it.

1 Like

I can’t seem to handle the sidehill lie with the ball below my feet lately. I think I’m just not aligning with the slope and then trusting my swing. It’s amazing how easily I can hit a big pull-draw from this lie. For me when I have a nemesis shot I need to find a spot where I can drop a bunch of balls and just work it out.

1 Like

Naturally the ball will want to fade when it’s below your feet, so I think we get into the tendency of overcorrecting, stuck too far inside with a closed clubface. I draw the ball naturally and am definitely guilty of this. Finding a way to practice the shot is great, but like you mentioned trusting the swing (and then being okay with the results) will play a big part.

2 Likes

Only one?!? :slight_smile::rofl::crazy_face:

I’m still working on my approaches and distance control … so when I have what’s for me a long approach plus trouble right behind the green I tend to let some nerves creep in and add a little tension into my swing and…

Working on it!

3 Likes

My nemesis shot is a layup because everything down to my bones says go for it you wimp. :joy:

1 Like

Remove head, place on ground next to ball, hit ball, place head back.

Solves a lot of problems.

2 Likes

Also a great trick for Halloween parties (once we start having those again)

4 Likes

Hahahaha. Or any party for that matter :rofl: