Dealing with Complacency

I think one thing a lot of golfers seem to forget is to enjoy the game. 99% of players do this as a hobby, i.e, something fun to relax. I, like everyone, want to be better. But not at the expense of forget to ‘stop and smell the roses’. I see too many people, on lovely courses, looking grumpy because they are shooting higher then they want. Which brings me to my main point. Improving at golf, doesn’t always mean hitting the ball better. A better mental state can make the round more enjoyable and I have found, as I am more relaxed, I end up playing better. Way too much time is devoted to worrying about minor swing fixes and technical flaws to my mind. I am playing off 19, buy end of year that will be down to around 15 probably (who knows under WHS), but if not, I will have had fun trying!

6 Likes

A lot of golfers have relatively short memories which helps. We played a tournament at the end of the season in brutally windy conditions. Our course is fairly tough as it is and this day would have been hard at any course. I actually played well and finished tied for 3rd, but 2 of my buddies were beaten up badly. The whole back 9 I heard about how the course was too difficult and they weren’t joining again next year…I’ve had these same thoughts. Both have already signed up again and we’re also joining a new Tuesday night 9 hole league lol.

4 Likes

I don’t want to hit you with platitudes like “nothing is impossible!” or “not with that attitude!”, but I wanted to address this bit:

“At the end of the day, I’m 35 years old, 5’10”, 140 lbs., and fit(ish), so physically I’m probably only going downhill. I’m not going to be able to add 30 yards just based on athleticism."

In my opinion, at 35, you can definitely still reap benefits from physical training. It’s anecdotal, but I can tell you that after 35, I’ve experienced gains when I’ve gone through periods of focus on fitness.

I don’t think you have to chase extremes (e.g. Bryson DeChambeau). There are gains to be had even from moderate training. At the very least, you will also prolong the period of your life where there is zero decline in physical ability.

3 Likes

Everyone loves to play their favorite games. Similarly my grandpa also, but unfortunately, he cannot walk properly. So, I bought a mobility scooter from seniorfitness. Now he is enjoying his life and playin with his age-fellows excitedly.

Congratulation, on being above the “average” golfer according to the statistics.
Yes, being 35, unless you’re gifted, you will be maintaining or going downward from here.
You are above the average golfers but still ways away from being one of the elite golfer. I meant, par or better golf at any given golf course.
Through my journey of 4 decades + with this fantastic game, I had reached about the same level as you did. Simply because I started late ( into my early 30’s before I was seriously involved in the game ). Being a weekend warrior and later a family man really took my time away from the game. I can tee it up with anyone from any tee box, and if they get serious, with the scores, give me the proper handicap break down, and I’ll be there.
But realizing, I will never be the elite group members. Like my favorite instructor of golf told me one time, I could impress my playing partners but, that’ll be the extent of my journey to the top of this game.
Never been a scratch or a plus player , ever. No time nor the money to back it up. However, I don’t regret it. The is more to life than just golf, much, much more. If I was ever good enough to compete, even, in the regional circuit; then, I would have. But I was good and not good enough.
No regret, I still shock some of the strangers I got paired up with at the public daily fee golf courses of my skill at gol.
Hear this many times " good game , and I’ll beat you next time". To which I had no idea we were competing in any way.

1 Like