Club Fitting and Small Sample Size

Wanted to follow up, I did my fitting with my pro today and holy cow it was so much better than anything I had been through before. Essentially we boiled it down to three different heads, but the majority of the fitting was actually about finding the proper shaft which is something I had never done before.

I had bought my previous clubs off Ebay, so we deduced that I was in the wrong shaft with the wrong lie angle for my swing (fun!) This was exactly why I wanted to get fit properly. I’ve always believed in lessons over equipment to improve, but wanted to make sure that I was playing the right equipment for me as well.

He was going to review the numbers from the fitting with another pro, but I’m happy with the results so far! We’re also going to take a look at the driver soon, and either change out the shaft or potentially just build out a new one. After today I definitely feel like I wasn’t fit properly before, so I’m really curious to see if that will help tighten my game up because my swing feels like it’s in good place overall

1 Like

I think this is a key, here… make sure you are in the right fit, and then stop worrying about your clubs!

I do think it’s important to get into the right fit, and I think you should look at all aspects of it… honestly, I think grip matters too!

Pick the right grip, shaft (flex AND weight), and head… then make sure they are built to the right loft and lie… then rock and roll…

What did you end up in? I’m more interested in your shafts! Good luck on the driver front… I think the shaft can be a huge upgrade, and finding the right one is really important.

1 Like

I had an iron fitting 5-6 years ago, and really liked the clubs I got - Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals, -`1/2" and 1*flat (I’m 5’6"). I always felt comfortable with them, and felt any errors were due to my inconsistencies, not due to the equipment. I just had all my clubs stolen, so I had a fitting at Club Champion with similar results, but Taylomade heads this time worked better.

Since I don’t have my own clubs right now, my friend loaned me his OLD Nike VRS irons. Went out to play yesterday, had the best ball-striking round in a long time. Makes me want to cancel my order.

1 Like

I never realized the difference a shaft can really make until today! It was kinda wild seeing it between a few swings each as we eliminated some and tested others. He was down to two similar options and was going to review the numbers with our head pro before sending his final recommendation but I’ll share when he comes back with it for sure

1 Like

I’ve had a putter fitting and a driver fitting, but am really wanting to check my iron shafts to see if they are right for me. I play Mizuno 850jpx forged…will club fitters do a shaft fitting with/for my current clubs even though they are older?

I’ve got my lie angles all at +1…but just have the stock shafts and am very curious if they are even right for me.

1 Like

Hard to do a shaft fitting without trying the new heads… there is some interplay between the two…

That said, I’ve heard really good things about the mizuno shaft optimizer which most stores have… you hit it a couple of times and it will spit out your top three shafts.

1 Like

So we ended up going with TaylorMade P790s in a TrueTemper Elevate shaft. 1 degree flat. Excited to game something that will fit my swing better than the set I got blindly off Ebay.

2 Likes

Oh those babies gonna fly and land soft!! Enjoy!

2 Likes

I have a pretty flat swing that’s been nicely called “smooth” and or less nicely “deliberate” so I need a little help getting it up in the air, really excited for it

2 Likes

Today I met with my pro to talk about my driver and a possible change, and wanted to pass along the experience.

Mostly we talked about some of the issues with my swing, which have definitely been the main culprit of my off the tee problems. However, he also looked at the shaft I’ve been gaming (name escaping me off the head for the gear heads I’ll follow up) and he had me try a few different options. Mostly what we found is I was definitely playing the wrong shaft for my swing. He let me take it to test drive it for a few rounds, but the early results are really great. After just one session and a handful of swings I’m excited to pull driver again, whereas last round it got benched entirely after a few holes.

The moral of the story is find a pro/fitter that you trust and is looking out for what is best for YOUR game. I’ve definitely had bad fittings, like how I ended up in a shaft that doesn’t really fit me. This has been by far the best process I’ve been through.

2 Likes

Reviving an old thread. I took some time away from work this morning and went with my dad to a local shop for a fitting. He’s been playing Callaway Diablo irons for about 7-8 years now and as an anniversary gift, my mom gave the “ok” on a new set.
Stuck mainly to the 7 iron…but he hit Srixon zx5, zx7, zx4, Callaway Big Bertha, Taylormade, and even Sub70 (a month or so back). And the winner is…

Sticking to his Diablo’s. :slight_smile: He hit them with a smaller dispersion (semi-naturally because they are his clubs he uses weekly). The zx4’s were easily the longest club when hit flushed them…maybe 7-10 yards more, the Big Bertha’s were closer to his dispersion and slightly longer…but all in all, with his angle of attack and path, sticking with his current set up just made the most sense. It gives him the best stopping power and dispersion, and only loses a few yards. Our fitter was great, and didn’t try to push him on any “buy this” stuff. Tried multiple shafts and heads, but couldn’t beat his current set-up.

Now he can spend the money (far less) on regripping, a new bag, and I’m pushing him hard to buy a new Cleveland Smart Sole 56* SW. :slight_smile:

2 Likes