Center of the green

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about changing the way I keep score during rounds and splitting putting from everything else… par 36 for both… drive home the commitment to hitting greens and focus on making sure I don’t three putt.

1 Like

I have had this exact conversation with my buddies multiple times as well. Yet, I still cant get myself to commit to hitting to the center of the green for an entire round.

I know it will likely improve my scores. But I am out there to have fun and to me that is playing super aggressive. I dont play in tournaments or anything, and if I did, my mindset would change.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment. Always good to remember that golf is supposed to be fun, so everyone should play how it will give them the most enjoyment, at least for the majority of rounds.

2 Likes

I love this notion. I’m going to check out DECADE, i’ve never heard of it.

100%. Everyone has fun playing the game differently. I have fun playing conservative as well. But man its tough to beat the feel of pulling off a difficult shot when it actually happens.

I know what you mean. Good scoring golf is often pretty boring golf. Keep it in play, hit greens, even if its not right at the flag, 2-putts for par. If you get a wedge, or a center pin, maybe you hit a couple close, maybe make a birdie or two. No excitement, no drama, just low scores.

2 Likes

Check out this article and watch the video - there’s also a link in there for a $25 discount

1 Like

Video is excellent… this forum is going to cost me some money!!!

Once I get the green light for golf, I’m going to do nlg and then try decade at the beginning of next season…

I agree that smart golf is boring golf and wrapping a 3 wood around a tree and onto the green is more fun… but I’m tired of shooting in the eighties.

I really want to post a 72 at my home course… I think I had everything working until my back injury.

When my driver is going I have less than 150 in to the majority of greens, and I think with better wedge play and better tactics my scores will drop… learning to two putt will also help!

1 Like

I think both are equally as fun and enjoyable. If I am playing poor I usually start to play more aggressive and try to have fun and enjoy the round from the tough shots I hope to pull off.

On the other hand, I do play boring when i am playing well. Hell some rounds it might be a mix of both for me, I never know until I am out there.

Edit: Deep down I know I should play more conservative more often and save the fun aggressive shots for scrambles or rounds with my buddies who hardly ever play.

Oh yeah, have to have fun out there… though I remember the first time I took out the sldr as a demo…

It was perfect for me… first 10 holes I was crushing the ball… 11th hole needed a big draw, which isn’t my normal swing… snap hooked it into a tree, ruined a good round and couldn’t hit the driver the rest of the round…

Though I remember that round better than I remember the solid mid 70 rounds I’ve put up on the same course.

1 Like

Isn’t if funny how that always seems to be the case?

Unless I have inside 100 yards I’m pretty cautious. I’ve found scoring is easier when you’re hitting greens. So I try to play the center distance and aim for the middle. And if anything, I take more club because a lot of my misses are short.

From listening to and learning from Jon and Scott Fawcett, I believe this is the most effective strategy to playing better.

1 Like

Yes! It’s not always the “center” of the green. And you definitely have to allow for your shot dispersion - with the particular club in your hand.

IMHO - improving your putting will directly improve your confidence in shooting for the “safe” parts of greens.

All that said, as a recreational golfer I’m happy to hit the green (on my intended approach shot) anywhere!

1 Like